The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Luke Jermay (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
So, I have recently gotten back into magic after a ~25 year hiatus! Most specifically I have been focusing on mentalism and related effects. To that end, I have purchased a few Luke Jermay effects and books (online and at a local shop). I do like his work and offerings so far so I went looking for more. In my travels I seemed to have gone down a rabbit hole that lead me to a number of threads that had some fairly serious claims against Luke not fulfilling obligations (basically stealing) and having poor customer service as well as horrid responsiveness. Seemed this was 10 or so years ago so perhaps this has been addressed (I hope). That said, before I start further supporting Luke, I wanted to get some confirmation that he made things right with those he wronged and that he has been on a good/honest and reliable track since?

I am not looking to cause a huge emotional fight. I just want to be sure that my hard earned $$$ is supporting a decent guy and not flake or worse.

Thanks in advance.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
He's a decent enough person to have very good personal relationships with Max Maven, Michael Weber, and other luminaries in magic and mentalism.

He's a decent enough person to have a very good working relationship with Vanishing Inc. So much so that he has partnered with VI to produce his own mentalism convention.
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Quote:
On May 4, 2021, Mac_Stone wrote:
He's a decent enough person to have very good personal relationships with Max Maven, Michael Weber, and other luminaries in magic and mentalism.

He's a decent enough person to have a very good working relationship with Vanishing Inc. So much so that he has partnered with VI to produce his own mentalism convention.

That is good to hear! Does that mean that he straightened out the past issues with customers? That seemed to be the crux of the issue(s)...
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I never had any issues with him, but then I only discovered him after the troubles. You could try reaching out to him and asking, he's active on facebook and instagram, you can also contact him trough his website.

He has spoken before about his time as a very young and very successful Las Vegas performer being the lowest point in his personal life, I believe this was the period where people were the most upset with him.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I ordered a Blindfold book from him years ago and have still never received it. Haven't heard much from him here in a while.
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, Mindpro wrote:
I ordered a Blindfold book from him years ago and have still never received it. Haven't heard much from him here in a while.

It is these kind of stories that concern me. He seems very bright and charismatic so why do business this way?!? And if he hasn't made amends yet, why not?

I really like his style and creativity but I struggle to support someone that has, seemingly deliberately from the posts and threads I saw, ripped people off. Maybe he has made up for it and Mindpro is a one off... Was hoping to hear that I guess.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1357 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Probably in the minority, but I also never received a hardcopy of the Blindfold Book (but I did get a pdf). There was one other ebook that I never received from Luke, but I've written it off in my mind and have purchased things from him since. I believe his contributions have outweighed mistakes he made early in his career.

I don't think he acted with malice or bad intent, I think he was just bad at managing the business part, which now seem to be outsourced to trusted firms like Penguin. I had similar problems with another well-known mentalist's ebooks, but it was so long ago I've forgiven them both; it's not worth hanging on to that anger, at least for my mental health. Everybody has different perspectives and tolerances for perceived wrongs.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, bekralik wrote:
I don't think he acted with malice or bad intent, I think he was just bad at managing the business part

I agree with this as well. I never knew there was a pdf of Then Blindfold Book. I actually had the hard copy in my hands in Las Vegas but he said it was a sample copy there for only show and reference for those interested. No, he never corrected it with me.

These bad business practices have also occurred with Jerome Findley, Docc Hilford, Bob Cassidy, and others. I never got my Findley books, but I was made good by Bob Cassidy after a couple of years once his operations were handled by others that helped him get straight.
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
You two are kind. I, personally, wouldn't be able to sleep well at night until everyone got what they paid for if it were me. Different times, different generation perhaps...
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Never bought anything directly from Luke. What I do have I never had a problem getting from other vendors that sell his items.
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
He is a creative genius so I have purchased a few items from shops. I hope he has this sorted out...
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
I've had no issue with Luke in awhile, he's been pretty reliable for quite awhile now. Jerome Finley on the other hand...
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Premise and Premonition and Jermay's Mind are two more recent Luke Jermay DVD sets that are outstanding and available from dealers.

AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
There was a time, years ago when Luke lived in Las Vegas, where he seemed to be overwhelmed and had trouble fulfilling sales. But that was in the distant past. I have no hesitation in purchasing from Luke today. I think he puts out really excellent material.
Andrew Aspen
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Andrew Aspen
Jermay's Mind is great in my opinion. There is a lot of great thinking on that. I don't know him personally, but I have found great value in his work.
upnxrawk
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of upnxrawk
It seems like it's getting harder to support original creators as many seem to take the money and never fulfill their end of things. I know it's not the case for everybody but seen way too many posts about magicians not sending goods when buying direct.
Billy
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
582 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
At this point I guess I've been lucky. I've never paid for, and not received any magic. I have dealt with Luke several times and never had an issue.

But these days, the postal service seems to be creating so many issues, its always wise to get tracking info and insurance.
Illusion77
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
I agree, Luke's work has always been, at the very least, very thought provoking.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2022, pulpscrypt wrote:
At this point I guess I've been lucky. I've never paid for, and not received any magic. I have dealt with Luke several times and never had an issue.

But these days, the postal service seems to be creating so many issues, its always wise to get tracking info and insurance.

Yea, it's a case of F up and move up. The post office realized one day (a long time ago) they were too good and thought huh, if we become complacent and inefficient folks will pay more for insurance and to get a signature.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
There was some issues years ago, but from my experience that's all in the past. Luke Jermay is one of the best mentalists around these days, and whilst I'd love to keep his material to myself so that others aren't using it, that wouldn't be fair to Luke. If you are bored with pin code divinations, propless rubbish that doesn't work, and which hand routines and want to look like an actual mind reader I suggest checking out his work. He has been on top of his game with his recent releases, and I've not been unhappy with any purchase. The majority of my current show traces back to Luke Jermay.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Luke Jermay (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL