We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Putting together a routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
matty j
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, England
7 Posts

Profile of matty j
How do you put together a good routine, do you have a story running throughout the show. It just seems a bit boring changing from one trick to another with any link. Please someone help.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7456 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Matty -

You may want to read this thread in the "Now That's Funny" (Comedy Magic) section of the Café:

Magic Café thread... Running on with Running Gags.

One of several ideas for continuity throughout a show is running gags or callbacks. I'm sure there are several other threads about this topic, too.

Here's a really good thread about the topic (relating more to school shows) on the KidAbra forum:

KidAbra thread... Glue Your Show Together

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
A change bag is useful for swapping props and going on with a different effect. They're virtually a staple of children's shows.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Jeff Alan
View Profile
New user
Georgia
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Alan
Quote:
On 2004-06-17 05:47, matty j wrote:
How do you put together a good routine, do you have a story running throughout the show. It just seems a bit boring changing from one trick to another with any link. Please someone help.

Matty,

Your 100% correct, and one should never "just do tricks". Challenge yourself and the audience, build a story around your routine, you will see a huge difference in the kid's attention span, and a better performance out of yourself! When a parent calls me about a show, I have a name for each show because each show has theme. They really seem to like this and get to choose one.

See if you can come up with an interesting story or a theme, WITHOUT magic tricks. Then make a list of ALL the effects you can do. Now try to place the tricks into the story rather than the other way around. It will take imagination and sometimes changing the way a trick was intended to be done. You'll have a lot fun, try it out!

Use your imagination & good luck!
Aim high and you won't get your shoes wet.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Aus
Yes the secret is imagination, to an audience where Peter Pan and Santa Clause is real, if you can aspire to that thinking you have really caught there kids in your magic.

Magically

Aus
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
I have a great idea for something to do between tricks that will get a laugh. Have a bucket ready for this one though. You can use a small Lota Bowl (available at http://www.maggievalleymagic.com). It is when you show a metal bowl and pour a bunch of liquid out and it looks empty only to find that more liqued will come out. You can sit it on your table in full view. Start with this trick and say that you are going to show them a neat thing and pour the liquid out. Do a trick and sau did I show you this? and pour out more liquid.
-Tyler
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7456 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Tyler -

That's so cool. When I was just starting out (25 years ago), I used the lota bowl as a running gag all the time.

I had a fake plastic flower in mine. I would pull it out and say, "This is a plastic flower. It doesn't need any water. Hey, what is this water doing in this vase?" Then I would pour it out. I did that between every trick.

The lota I used was made by Morrissey (I still have it, but don't use it very often), and I bought it with the money I was paid for my first ever paid show! The lota bowl is sentimental to me for that reason.

- Donald.
Jeff Alan
View Profile
New user
Georgia
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Alan
While we're talking Lota Bowl's...

A funny routine I read recently (forgot where) was to have a plastic toy animal (like a dog's squeaky toy)set on top of the Lota Bowl and you tell the kid's that it's his potty. All during the show you have to empty out his potty into a clear pitcher. The kid's get the biggest kick out this as they find this to be their version of blue humor.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
That's a good idea
Matt
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
Also useing the lota bowl, you can set a baby on it and pick them up and pour out water that you died yellow.
-Tyler
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7456 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Not exactly my cup of tea. Personally, I stay away from potty humour, implied or outright expressed.

I prefer to go the high road, and also do very little as possible to offend the adults in the room. They are my future potential clients.

- Donald.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Donald the kids are also your very furture possible clients!
Jeff Alan
View Profile
New user
Georgia
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Alan
Quote:
On 2004-07-13 16:25, The Gr8 DonaldD wrote:
Not exactly my cup of tea. Personally, I stay away from potty humour, implied or outright expressed.

I prefer to go the high road, and also do very little as possible to offend the adults in the room. They are my future potential clients.

- Donald.

I don't actually perform this routine, I seem to recall now it came from Linking Ring and it was the Wizard (name??) from the New York Sate park, very good article and taught a great lesson on why you don't need a million different tricks in your arsenal. Anyway, I too am very careful about offensive material & routines. As a staunch conservative Southern Baptist with teenagers (who aren't allowed to see anything but PG movies!) I would have to say that if I saw this routine during a show I would not be the least offended. I would however leave out the yellow dye! The funny part is the toy animal, now I would be totally offended if the magician put a kid on the potty or just placed it under them to produce the liquid. But I side with you Donald that this still wouldn't be in my show because it's not mine, and it's not me.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
One of the things I specialize in is putting together programs with themes.

Yesterday I shared with an ESL(English as second language) Program. They asked if I could share a program that includes weather words.

Things that popped into my mind as a prepared the program included.

1. Open with Nigel(see picture/avatar) talking about the seasons. First mistaking one called Garlic....
Then he sings Summertime, as I play it on the harmonica.

2. Coin that FALL(s) down and up.

3. Spring(Gag with bottled water(Barry Mitchell Idea)

4. Winter - Water to Ice/Snow

Nigel and his Grandfather (Papa Charlie) keep the theme going inbetween the magic.

I recently talked to a Realtor about sharing at one of their sales meeting. I asked her for some trade jargon.
She mentioned the phrase Liar/Buyer meaning that some buyers end up buying a house that did not meet their description of what they wanted.

On - line I found a great optical illusion site that had a face that when turned sideways "Magically Changed" into the word...
you guessed it.

LIAR.

If any one else has any Realtor related ideas please post here or to

harris.deutsch@leesummit.k12.mo.us

Customizing my programs seem to help with customer satisfaction and referals.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
grant_gilson
View Profile
New user
Orange, Texas
64 Posts

Profile of grant_gilson
I once saw a magician doing a misers routine with two kids. After many productions of coins, the magi could not find the next coin. After looking around, he very quickly held the cup behind the boy and you heard a 'clink' and he sid "I knew you had it in you!". It went over pretty good, and I don't think anyone was offended.

Grant
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
That can play well but you really much watch what TYPE of a child you have up on stage. You must learn if the child can handle a comedy bit like that. Some can handle it fine and will think it is hilarious, while others may be shy and timid and that would only make them feel bad.

You really can do that later in your show which gives you enough time to see how your show is going and to look over your audience.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I am 16, and I am trying to put together a routine for birthday parties. I am not too worried about doing a show for younger kids, but the 8 to 10 group has me worried. I have tried to perform for this age group, and they are constantly saying things like, "I know how you did that", etc. I don't want to do stuff they feel is too "kiddie", but not stuff like needle thru arm. What should I put in my show.

Brian
The great Sandwich!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Then perhaps you need to keep your shows targeted at the younger age level and not venture yet into the 8-10 age level until you have more experience and shows under your belt. The 8-10 age level is even tough for those who have been in the business for a while. It is something that takes time to understand and you get this through experience.

kyle
Kyle Peron

what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I know I have the skill for it, I am just asking what are good tricks, or kind of tricks for this age group.
The great Sandwich!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Working this age group is much more involved then just skill. You can not go out there and try to FOOL them as that just does not work at all for them. it is a tough age to perform for indeed.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Putting together a routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL