The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Putting together a routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Brian -

I'll give you an outline for my 8-10 year old birthday party show (45-55 minute show). Then you'll have some suggestions for possible tricks, but you will need to find your own routines. Sound fair?

- "This!" (appearing bottle in silks) and Vanishing Coke Bottle
- Linking Rings
- Professor's Nightmare
- Topsy Turvy Bottles
- Mismade Canadian Flag, with 3 gag wands
- Personalized Magic Trick (sorry, no more details on that one! You'll have to buy Eric Paul's Course or Tony Daniels' video.)
- Dove Pan / Foam Cake / Baking Routine, with fantasio wand to silk streamers
- Ring in Nest of Boxes
- Chair Suspension

Sometimes, I substitute in Mental Epic, for Topsy Turvy Bottles.

Hope this helps to give you some ideas.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I aviod the 9+ market, girls are OK, but boys seem to see you as just a challenge. They forget you're there to entertain them, and see you as someone who is trying to catch them out.

As I've said before my shows are made up of 4 magic tricks / routines. I take a trick and look at what I have at the start, and what I end up with at the end. Take a magic painting for example. You show a B&W picture, the kids have to colour it in.

Now you could just cover it up / turn it round etc (depending on the mechanics of your particular painting trick) get them to wiggle their fingers and hey presto, it's coloured in. Or you could extend it and add more fun and magic.

I take the same trick and 1st we need some colours. A helper is chosen he is given an empty tin (Chick pan) to catch the colours in, the lid is put on. The kids grab colours off their clothes and when the helper shouts 123 they shout the magic word and throw them. the helper takes off the lid and there are the colours. (sponge balls).
the helper then puts the balls in the colour mixing bag (one- handed change bag) and is told to wave the magic wand shout 123 and the kids shout the magic word. We look in the colours and the tricks gone wrong, her waved the wand wrong. Lots of fun as I ask the kids if they want to see what he's done, and get them to promise they wont clap as he wasn't supposed to do this. I then pull out a 15'x3" streamer out the bag and they clap, I tell them off.

We put it back in the bag, before he waves the wand I realise the magic wont work yet, and ask the kids the secret of magic. (this they've learnt from the previous routine) Magic only works when we're not looking, so a kid suggests, (I always ask how we can make it so we can't see it), we turn the picture round.

Once again 123, they shout, the helper waves the wand and I show the colours have now disapeared, finally I take the picture out the frame and give it to the helper, who then turns it round to loud applause.

I havn't included all the business and silly wands I use in the routine. but it ends up as a nice fun 10-15 minute routine. (Longer sometimes depending on the kids) The description doesn't do it full justice, It's just to give you an idea how you can take a simple trick and how by adding wands and other magic props you turn it from a trick into a routine.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Oh, and I should have mentioned to Brian, that from my experience, you can do lots of sight gags and silly bits of business with younger children, but I find that with this older age group, they appreciate clean-comedy jokes and puns more that the silly humour.

The older children also appreciate skillful magic (a tip I picked up many years ago from The Birthday Magician's Handbook, by David Fiscus, published by Lee Jacobs Productions).

- Donald.
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I was thinking of picking up Sylvester Pitch. I once tried preforming for that age group, and it was a last minitue thing. I threw some tricks in a bag, and went to my Taekwondo school to entertain the summer camp kids. One almost got away with my karate coin, they were rushing up, saying "I know how you did that", etc. Maybe next time, if it is more organized, and I have set up a nice, funny show, that will blow them away, I might have a better experience.

Brian
The great Sandwich!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Brian,

In shows for older children, I have learned that you can't go in with the notion of wowing them or fooling them. This approach just gets them on the defensive way too soon.

I try and show them first that I am a fun and cool guy there simply to show some cool things. I have more fun with the journey and laughter of the routine then the trick itself. This tends to work better for me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I agree with Kyle.

If you approach a show with the intention of impressing an audience with your skill, fooling them, or wowing them, then you will be challenged more as to "how it works". After all, you are challenging them to think about the magic as more of a puzzle, rather than entertainment.

For children especially, there is a joy in the journey. Storytelling, comedy, audience participation are all some things that can add to that journey.

- Donald.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Take a look at David "Silly Billy" Kaye's book (I think it's in the Kliffnotes book). He's got a whole chapter devoted to the psychology of performing for different age groups. You don't want to do a 3-year old show for a 10-year old audience!

-Andy
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I guess to me you have to give them something more to latch onto you with. If your just showing pure skill alone, then why wouldn't the children take that as you wanting them to battle you in figuring out how you did it. Afterall your not giving them anything else but that show of skill.

However, if you bring in other elements, you take the notion of "wowing" them down. They will realize that the journey is as much fun or more fun then the trick element.

I also often times go into a older age show by asking for the kids to help me bring in stuff for the show. This gets them involved and shows that I want their help as opposed to them thinking of me as just another big adult. It also gets me a chance to bond with the kids more and get them to see me as a fun friendly guy that they trust. I am putting trust into them by asking for their help and therefor I may get their trust back.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I don't like the idea of linking one trick to the next, I think I gets a bit boring, you start a story finish the trick start a new story and do the trick as long as your not picking up a prop puting it down and moving to a new prop with no patter I think it fine to move on to the next.
JB the Clown
View Profile
New user
Ireland
25 Posts

Profile of JB the Clown
I just love the squeeky toy on the Lotta Bowl. I have had a bowl for almost 1 year and have only used it once, as I couldn't put a kiddy slant on it. Will not be dying it yellow though...yyyeeuuuucccchhhhhhhhh !!!

Thanks Jeff!
JB the Clown
a.k.a. John Broaders
www.jbtheclown.com
Jeff Alan
View Profile
New user
Georgia
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Alan
YVW

:)
Aim high and you won't get your shoes wet.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Aus
Got to this link and this should help: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&19

Magically

Aus
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Aus,

Excellent link! Thanks much!

Wayne
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Putting together a routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL