The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help identifying an Okito box maker? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
I have obtained several Buddha style coin boxes, and am making great progress in proficiency. I have a mystery, though. They are different.

I bought a "factory 2nd" okito box direct from Chazpro, so that is known. Half dollar fits pretty closely. Very little rattle when I shake it.

The other two are mysterious. Also Buddha style ... Boston Box and Slot Box. Bought from member here advertising as Chazpro boxes. These are bigger, lids too big for the one above. Coins fit with a gap of 1mm to 1.5mm space that rattles well when shaken. I cannot figure out why this is different, or if different manufacturer. No pictures on Chazpro Magic site with coin in box. Smile

I am trying to find an okito box of the larger size to "complete" the set and have a base box to use with 2-box routines.

Picture isn't great, but shows the size difference.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=101......23796564

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1015......23796564
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Link states that content is not available.
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
I fixed the links and should now be visible to public.

Also heard back from Chazpro, saying he is surprised, as his have always been same (4 coin) size. Mystery deepens.
Nick Sasso
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Could they have been made for a slightly larger foreign coin?
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
On May 27, 2021, KungFuMagic wrote:
I have obtained several Buddha style coin boxes, and am making great progress in proficiency. I have a mystery, though. They are different.

I bought a "factory 2nd" okito box direct from Chazpro, so that is known. Half dollar fits pretty closely. Very little rattle when I shake it.

The other two are mysterious. Also Buddha style ... Boston Box and Slot Box. Bought from member here advertising as Chazpro boxes. These are bigger, lids too big for the one above. Coins fit with a gap of 1mm to 1.5mm space that rattles well when shaken. I cannot figure out why this is different, or if different manufacturer. No pictures on Chazpro Magic site with coin in box. Smile

I am trying to find an okito box of the larger size to "complete" the set and have a base box to use with 2-box routines.

Picture isn't great, but shows the size difference.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=101......23796564

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1015......23796564

The one on the right doesn't look like it's a Chazpro. notice the sharp rim compared to the rounded rim Chazpro has. There was another company, that made a box that looked like the Buddha, called "Belly Boston Box Plus. Which looks like what you have, but I'm not sure. It's Boston box with an magnetic insert to hide the Boston part of the box (if you know what I mean?). You might want to check and see if that isn't the case with yours.

Hope this helps.

-Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Just got mine out. If this is the one you have, it was released by Omar Ferret from Cuba, through Stevens magic.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
Quote:
On May 30, 2021, Tom G wrote:
Could they have been made for a slightly larger foreign coin?

Good comment. I had the same thought, but no other "commonly used" coin makes sense, from what I know. Kennedy Half is 30mm and British Penny 31mm. Both fit the Chazpro (L) snuggish ... and wiggle in the mystery box (R).

Absolutely, it could be a coin I don't have data on, or is more magic-common in another country than US. If you might know one between 31.5mm and 32mm that makes sense, I'll check it out.
Nick Sasso
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
Quote:
On May 30, 2021, mystre71 wrote:
The one on the right doesn't look like it's a Chazpro. notice the sharp rim compared to the rounded rim Chazpro has. There was another company, that made a box that looked like the Buddha, called "Belly Boston Box Plus. Which looks like what you have, but I'm not sure. It's Boston box with an magnetic insert to hide the Boston part of the box (if you know what I mean?). You might want to check and see if that isn't the case with yours.

Hope this helps.

-Joe

Joe, you gave me the Mother Lode here. My mystery box has a certain "quality" to the lids (both the Boston and the Slot boxes), as well as the inside of both and bottom of the Boston. Never would have thought to check that ... but now I know a sh***ed coin may be useful to try. The added room will definitely make expanded [ a simple fit.

The descriptions I found don't mention the 5 coin capacity, but this does seem to be an Omar Ferret "Buddha Boston Box Plus", and likely a 2-box set with the Slot. Sadly, I don't find mention of an Okito Box by Ferret. Another thread here on the Café suggests he may consider producing some more next year 2022. I'll be watching for those.
Nick Sasso
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
On May 31, 2021, KungFuMagic wrote:
Quote:
On May 30, 2021, mystre71 wrote:

Hope this helps.

-Joe

Joe, you gave me the Mother Lode here. My mystery box has a certain "quality" to the lids (both the Boston and the Slot boxes), as well as the inside of both and bottom of the Boston. Never would have thought to check that ... but now I know a sh***ed coin may be useful to try. The added room will definitely make expanded [ a simple fit.

The descriptions I found don't mention the 5 coin capacity, but this does seem to be an Omar Ferret "Buddha Boston Box Plus", and likely a 2-box set with the Slot. Sadly, I don't find mention of an Okito Box by Ferret. Another thread here on the Café suggests he may consider producing some more next year 2022. I'll be watching for those.

Just spoke with Omar on fB he stopped making boxes at least for now because the cost of brass is up so high. So, does the bottom of yours have a insert ?
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2021, mystre71 wrote:

Just spoke with Omar on fB he stopped making boxes at least for now because the cost of brass is up so high. So, does the bottom of yours have a insert ?

Glad you asked. I saw a mention in the description, but, no. Mine does not have an insert. Being a second-hand purchase, I could see it being missing. I may check with the seller in case it exists.
Nick Sasso
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help identifying an Okito box maker? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL