We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matrix Revolution by Mickael Chatelain (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1902 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Huh? I can’t read your post... my eyes are starting to fail me, I think...
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
"It'll never work in the real world" they say.

I've been doing Matrix Art (Revolution's predecessor) for real people, from a distance of no more than four feet. The astonishing visuals of this effect get really strong reactions, and this has become a go-to effect for me.

You don't need a deck to do a switch. I take the matching regular card from my shirt pocket, casually showing both sides. "I don't really do card tricks, but I wanted to see if I could do magic with just one card. I punched holes in all the corners, just to make it harder on me.

To do this, we need a magic word -- so let's have YOU think of one." As I say this, I pop the card back in my pocket. The participant mulls it over and finally says "Shazam" or whatever.

"Great," I say, taking the card (actually the gaff) out again. I do the routine, but pause before the final phase where the holes jump from all in one corner back to the four corners, with no cover. "Get ready with your magic word. Okay, 1-2-3!" As they shout "Shazam," they see the holes jump. I pause a moment to let the magic sink in, then casually put the card away as they express astonishment and we talk.

NO one has ever asked to see the card again -- they think they saw both sides at the beginning. If they did ask, I'd just take out the normal card and hand it over.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
Jerry
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5580 Posts

Profile of videoman
That’s very interesting to hear Jerry.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with this.
I had pretty much written this off as a social media effect.

Just put of curiosity, do you use red or blue backed gaff?
Also, when you show this to people, do you take a couple steps back first in order to get 4 or 5 feet away?
Do you justify stepping back, or just do it?

It’s that stepping away that I have trouble making sense of.
In many effects it kind of makes sense and seems natural to take a step or two back, but this seems like it screams out to be done right under their nose.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2096 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
I guess this is more like friends and family vs others. From my experience, family and friends definitely want to inspect the card.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5518 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2021, Magic KL wrote:
I guess this is more like friends and family vs others. From my experience, family and friends definitely want to inspect the card.

Agree, friends and family always are grabby, lol!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks for sharing that sequence Jerry. I agree it is a very cool item. videoman I use the blue back version and think it covers the gaff much better in close situations, blue is usually better for covering any gaffing. I do like the contrast of the black holes on the red back but for close-up I think blue is better, in my opionion. I have had a chance to see the red back version in real life as well.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Videoman, I use the red-back card, which I chose because it's more eye catching. Also, the dark holes show up better than they do against blue.

The gaffs aren't seen, at even a short distance.

I have never even thought about "how" to create a distance of four feet-ish. I just do it. One justification would be to say, "I want everyone to see this" and take a step back, lifting the card to shoulder height.

Best,
Jerry
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
943 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
I had "Matrix Revolution" in red and found that the invisibility is quite good and the contrast with a black t-shirt is very good. I also have the "Matrix Art" card in blue and would say that both color versions do not take much of each other.

With "Matrix Revolution", however, I have found a weak point that makes this card more susceptible to longevity and can lead to flawless working problems. The "Matrix Art" card seems to me more suitable for multiple applications and dayly demonstrations and also worked smoother for me.
Gipstein
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
73 Posts

Profile of Gipstein
My routine for Matrix Art: I have them pick a RED card. I punch holes in the corners after they sign the face. I pick up a 5x7 postcard that shows Wiley Coyote and ACME Portable holes. As I talk about it, I casually bring my hands together. I have made the postcard with a pocket that holds the Matrix card, which I slip on to the top of the deck when my hands come together. A little thumb-notch makes this easy and is easily covered as I handle the postcard. I separate my hands and then pick off the top (Matrix Art gaff card) as I turn the deck with their chosen hole-punched card and put it down face up, their card now on the bottom. I do the Matrix Art effects while talking about portable holes. At the end, I pick up the deck and flip it as I put the gaff card on top. I remind them they could have picked any card. I do a double lift and flip the card(s) to show the face signed, peel of their signed, hole-punched card and hand it to them as I again flip the deck face up (hiding the gaff) as I put it away. All the attention is on their signed, holed card that just did something amazing. I let them keep it. If you want, you can also force the initial selection so you cab replace the card they chose with one from a deck of all Kings or 3s or whatever so your deck is again full. I have done this as a parlor effect and it played well. I can follow it by "taking" another hole off the Wiley postcard, putting it on a table, and then doing coins through table. By using the Portable Hole card in a few effects, I get people used to it so it doesn't seem suspicious. The Portable Hole card is easy to make by partially taping 2 5x7 cards together to create a pocket to hold the gaff card. Once you have introduced the idea of portable holes, you can use it for any number of effects., either in sequence or peppered throughout a show. I made the graphic of Wiley & ACEM holes in photoshop. Very colorful and attention-getting.
Magic is where dreams become reality and reality becomes a dream.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4178 Posts

Profile of emyers99
If you think this gimmick looks amazing, you should see what it looks like after going through the washing machine. Equally impressive…in a bad way.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5580 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks for sharing your routine. I really like your use of a postcard.
You have done great ideas with the portable hole concept.

Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, Gipstein wrote:
My routine for Matrix Art: I have them pick a RED card. I punch holes in the corners after they sign the face. I pick up a 5x7 postcard that shows Wiley Coyote and ACME Portable holes. As I talk about it, I casually bring my hands together. I have made the postcard with a pocket that holds the Matrix card, which I slip on to the top of the deck when my hands come together. A little thumb-notch makes this easy and is easily covered as I handle the postcard. I separate my hands and then pick off the top (Matrix Art gaff card) as I turn the deck with their chosen hole-punched card and put it down face up, their card now on the bottom. I do the Matrix Art effects while talking about portable holes. At the end, I pick up the deck and flip it as I put the gaff card on top. I remind them they could have picked any card. I do a double lift and flip the card(s) to show the face signed, peel of their signed, hole-punched card and hand it to them as I again flip the deck face up (hiding the gaff) as I put it away. All the attention is on their signed, holed card that just did something amazing. I let them keep it. If you want, you can also force the initial selection so you cab replace the card they chose with one from a deck of all Kings or 3s or whatever so your deck is again full. I have done this as a parlor effect and it played well. I can follow it by "taking" another hole off the Wiley postcard, putting it on a table, and then doing coins through table. By using the Portable Hole card in a few effects, I get people used to it so it doesn't seem suspicious. The Portable Hole card is easy to make by partially taping 2 5x7 cards together to create a pocket to hold the gaff card. Once you have introduced the idea of portable holes, you can use it for any number of effects., either in sequence or peppered throughout a show. I made the graphic of Wiley & ACEM holes in photoshop. Very colorful and attention-getting.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1086 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Really great routining, Gipstein!
SoloDoubleAct
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
43 Posts

Profile of SoloDoubleAct
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
If you think this gimmick looks amazing, you should see what it looks like after going through the washing machine. Equally impressive…in a bad way.

That is horrifying! I have the previous version and love to perform it AND just admire the insanity of it haha, but my biggest complaint is how much it needs to be babied because lord knows I couldn't repair it. I imagine this version is equally complicated.

Definitely for parlor where you can safely transport, ring in, and return; imo!
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1180 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I knew I should've waited for one more variation:
https://www.gimickmagic.com/matrix-360.html
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
!@#$%^&! xD I've been loving "Matrix Revolution," but the biggest weakness is still the inability to show the back side. I wonder if there are any trade-offs with this new version, or if the functionality is just as good...?
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1180 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I think I'll wait for the Matrix 720 version.
This one looks simple but deceptive ... will he incorporate the 360 into the more complex versions next?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5004 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, videoman wrote:
Thanks for sharing your routine. I really like your use of a postcard.
You have done great ideas with the portable hole concept.

Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, Gipstein wrote:

Totally agree, great routining with the postcard pocket and the wrist kills etc. Thanks for sharing Gaz 👍👍😊😊
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
943 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2021, bekralik wrote:
I knew I should've waited for one more variation:
https://www.gimickmagic.com/matrix-360.html

Slightly less variations but therefore not less impressive

And the possibility to show the back side is very impressive
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
I ordered one of these back on the 7th but haven't heard anything yet. Anyone receive theirs?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5580 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2021, AutarchicFlux wrote:
I ordered one of these back on the 7th but haven't heard anything yet. Anyone receive theirs?

Revolution or 360?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matrix Revolution by Mickael Chatelain (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL