The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE BOYD MYSTERY by Bill Abbott ("This effect is absolutely incredible." - Richard Sanders) (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MurphysNEW
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of MurphysNEW
The Boyd Mystery is a true crime story that keeps your audience on the edge of their seats and concludes with a NEW unbelievable finish!

"This effect is absolutely incredible."
- Richard Sanders

"Over the past two decades I've been performing the Boyd Mystery for audiences all over the world. It has evolved over the years. From a very simple effect, into a NEW show-stopping moment in all of my shows!"
- Bill Abbott

https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=69735

An incredible crime story with a fantastic magic effect! The beautiful, handmade props have been designed to fit in a hip-style wallet or a pocket making it easy and convenient to carry with you anywhere. There are NO angle problems and it resets instantly for repeat performances.

You display a photo slowly on both sides and could even hand it out for examination. You wrap the photo back inside the folder and slide it back into the envelope. You place it in the center of the table. Or lay it on the base of the an inverted wine glass in full view.

You remove a match from a vintage matchbox, light it and balance it in the center of the matchbox. Then carefully lay it on top of the envelope while you continue the story. You slowly open the envelope, unwrap the black cover and now the photo has been permanently altered! The figure of Eddie Boyd is missing - it's been torn from the center of the photograph!

All that was left was a broken piece of a hacksaw lying in the middle of the jail cell...Under the photo is an actual broken hacksaw blade that has suddenly appeared out of nowhere!

The spectator stands and discovers that he is now SITTING on the torn out image of Eddie Boyd!

https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=69735
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I really like Bill and have almost all of the stuff he’s released. I got bored and ordered this a few months ago. The positives are that this is definitely something “different” you can add to your show to mix things up. The story is interesting and engaging. The props are well made. The teaching is very clear. All traits of pretty much all of Bill’s releases. The negative I have is that for the price, it would have been nice if more pictures were included, especially the one people sit on which will ultimately get beat up.

The biggest consideration is the price. I fully believe in paying a premium for the idea and that the cost of the actual props should not determine the overall price, but $75 for this confuses me. The method is very simple and there is nothing really new by way of methodology. The props are nice but simple. Probably $5 tops. So the ultimate question is whether the idea is worth the extra $70 to you. Again, I know that there is R&D and prototyping involved and that can and should very fairly impact the price, but the overall value is something each person will have to evaluate individually. For me, it seems the sweet spot for this would have been around $40, but as a working pro, not that big of a consideration. Probably steep for a hobbyist. At one point Bill shows a hollowed out book about the criminal in question. It was given to him as a gift and perfectly held the props as well as fit perfectly with the premise of the story. I really wish that could have been mass produced and included. That would have made this a perfect kit and well worth the $75 IMO.

As for performance conditions, this is best suited for close-up or small parlor shows. You could play it on stage with a camera but it’s an intimate piece that probably deserves a more intimate environment to get the full effect. As for skill level, it’s dead easy and dare I say almost self-working. Bill gives you several options for where to produce the final reveal. If you like the premise and will use it enough to justify the cost, you won’t be disappointed.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Eric, thanks, you verbalized in detail.what I was thinking. Honestly, it should have been around $40. But it's the typical Bill Abbot effect with the accompanying Bill Abbot price.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I agree that Bill’s releases are a bit pricey, but you’re usually guaranteed an excellent routine when buying one of his tricks. In my opinion, if you add this routine to your act it is well worth the price.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
A version of this was on his dvd set. Looks like he has improved it.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2710 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thanks for the detailed review, Eric. Very helpful. Muchos appreciatos.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
I think I paid $20 for the first version about 7-8 years ago, maybe longer. It used the old paper Budda fold method and didn't come with the balancing matches on matchbox or the blade. Definitely a cool routine.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Dutchie
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dutchie
I think if you're the sort of magician that wants to buy a trick with a script already written for you, so you don't have to think in any way at all, this is great. The price is reasonable for the lazy and uncreative.
ScarneAce
View Profile
Regular user
In a Galaxy far, far away...
150 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
Or just buy the buddha papers mystery for $5

The effect is weak, why would the prisoner escape only to be found underneath where someone is sitting? seems a cheap gag
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Just wondering if you watched the demo saw the reactions of the people?
psylocke
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of psylocke
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2021, RNK wrote:
Just wondering if you watched the demo saw the reactions of the people?

Would you pay 75$ for it?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Probably not because the original version I have plays strong as well. IMO, the added nuances with a blade and the match definitely will enhance the routine but not so much so for another $75!
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I like it but at that price no way for me.
LoganPorterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of LoganPorterMagic
Is it just me or I feel like the video is missing a lot of things in the performance hence making it look like we are paying big bucks to have a card under someone’s butt.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
At 1:29 during the camera performance, some people could argue that this is a little misleading because of the way a certain prop works, something was done during the cut for what is in the envelope to now appear how it is. I’m just worried that people who do not know what has gone on, if expecting the effect to look as it does on that camera performance will be disappointed to find a certain action is needed and missed out. It’s not a big action needed and you have plenty of time to do it and it will look innocent, only saying as a concern if people are expecting it to perform and work exactly as they see in that performance?
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
957 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Here is a review of boyd mystery by Bill Abbot from Mark Traversoni and I have to agree with Mark regarding the over price and value for money https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Yes agree and Marks comments are fair in all fairness.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2710 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, Roberto W wrote:
At 1:29 during the camera performance, some people could argue that this is a little misleading because of the way a certain prop works, something was done during the cut for what is in the envelope to now appear how it is. I’m just worried that people who do not know what has gone on, if expecting the effect to look as it does on that camera performance will be disappointed to find a certain action is needed and missed out. It’s not a big action needed and you have plenty of time to do it and it will look innocent, only saying as a concern if people are expecting it to perform and work exactly as they see in that performance?

Thanks for the heads up, Roberto.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
U have to load the final reveal under someone obviously but the only other thing that is cut is the most basic of moves. I wouldn’t really even call it a move.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, gtx magic wrote:
Here is a review of boyd mystery by Bill Abbot from Mark Traversoni and I have to agree with Mark regarding the over price and value for money https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/
1OO percent every word Mark on this one, I know times are hard for us all at the moment and we gotta make a living but everything has gone crazy price hike in everything, my work even struggling now with getting material's to carry on work,very slow getting my Gigs back as well, just seems so darn expensive and I have certainly kept away from somethings I like ,but feel way over priced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE BOYD MYSTERY by Bill Abbott ("This effect is absolutely incredible." - Richard Sanders) (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL