We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SUDOKU 2.0 BY MYLES THORNTON (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Matman
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Matman
Hello All,

This looks interesting, price is not bad either.
https://www.alakazam.co.uk/sudoku-20-by-myles-thornton.html

So the participant picks a page from a Soduku book and that is their "random" number.
That number is written on a "blank" Soduko card - never heard of a Soduko card before.
Then the card is placed in the spectators hand and then the magic square happens and the numbers appear.

Looks like a blend of Magic Square and Out to Lunch.

I am tempted.

Thoughts anyone? Is it too many principles in one trick or does it a cohesive trick?
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9305 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Ordered. I love anything magic square related and this is a great disguise in order to show your amazing mathematical skills, when in reality I’m bloody useless.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12354 Posts

Profile of John C
I’d rather perform on the spot physics or quantum mechanics but this will do I suppose.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
westo
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
531 Posts

Profile of westo
Picked this up also....sonething a little different is good...
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek'..'The Westo Dump' and the 'Westolope'
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9305 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Just watched the tutorial. This is very, very good. As long as the spec(s) have not heard of the magic-square of course. It’s a great souvenir giveaway and I like the methods for getting the spec to choose a number whether forced, or not. The crib is definitely hidden in plain sight, and you can even drawer over it if you so wish, not that anyone would ever notice, unless they’re Alan Turin that is. The card stock has been very thoroughly tested to ensure it meets all of the requirements in terms of robustness, authenticity and ability to tear without too much undue effort. They’ve also done a great job in ensuring that it indeed looks exactly like a free puzzle card that you’d find in the middle of a puzzle magazine. Very much looking forward to receiving this. There is also a Facebook page to share ideas.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1307 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Wasn’t sure about this . It’s essentially a magic square made simple for those with no memory or math skills at all. I mean with the way the card is partially complete you only have to remember where 4 other numbers go and do some simple math for the rest. But apparently that’s still too much to ask so this has a hidden crib for you.

The magic aspect is just using standard old techniques but is a great idea to elevate it from the usual maths procedure.

80 cards for £28 seems decent value though.

So, on balance, nothing Earth-shattering but probably worth a punt.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1253 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Yes it looks very intriguing - would like to see a full uncut performance though, just to understand how much fiddling around in the number choosing/forcing procedure. Shouldn't be a problem to show an uncut performance, since everybody who likes the routine still has to buy it to get the cards.

Looks like a winner.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9305 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2021, Vraagaard wrote:
Yes it looks very intriguing - would like to see a full uncut performance though, just to understand how much fiddling around in the number choosing/forcing procedure. Shouldn't be a problem to show an uncut performance, since everybody who likes the routine still has to buy it to get the cards.

Looks like a winner.

You won’t be disappointed.
Matman
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Matman
Thanks for all the feedback, I think I will get this. Just wondering how long it would take to get to Canada from the UK?
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2021, Matman wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback, I think I will get this. Just wondering how long it would take to get to Canada from the UK?

It's an Alakazam product so you can order from Alakazam USA
Myles Thornton
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Myles Thornton
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your lovely comments on this thread so far. Sudoku 2.0 has been in my wallet as an everyday carry for a long time now, and it feels great to share it with everyone. Just wanted to mention that the performance you see in the trailer is only one of the routines taught, that I created as I wanted a more magical way of performing the magic square. There are other routines taught where you only need the card, which are perfect for on the spot performances. I teach a variety of routines that cover magic, mentalism and mental feats.

I designed the crib to be camouflaged into the card so even if you haven't performed it in a while you don't have to worry about any memory work as you are literally looking at the crib whilst performing, this allows you to relax and focus on presentation. The crib is destroyed in the process of performing, so there is literally nothing for the spectator to find when they keep the card as a souvenir, in fact on both sides of the card there is a real puzzle website that they can visit which adds to the authenticity of the card.

There is also space on the back of the card to write your business details or perform a center tear. When performing casually I often write something that is relevant to the conversation for example a film recommendation and then give the card to the person I am chatting to. Naturally they turn the card over and ask what it is. You then have a really nice segway into performing without it feeling too pushy, this idea was inspired by Andy from the Jerx.

If anyone has any questions I will keep an eye on this thread and do my best to answer.

All the best

Myles
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9305 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Myles, good to see you here. Great job by the way. I’m trying to gain entry into the Facebook group, assuming it’s via “Alakazam product discussion” but my request is still pending. Could you sort this out?
Myles Thornton
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 28, 2021, pegasus wrote:
Myles, good to see you here. Great job by the way. I’m trying to gain entry into the Facebook group, assuming it’s via “Alakazam product discussion” but my request is still pending. Could you sort this out?

Hello Pegasus,

Here is the link for the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/539054033964706 you'll need the password which is the same one to access to download on the Alakazam website which is printed on a card you receive with Sudoku 2.0.

All the best,

Myles
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9305 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Ah. Ok. I managed to view the tutorial without the passcode on the website. I’ll wait until delivery in that case. Thanks.
jgeerts
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of jgeerts
Hello,
You can use the ACAAT (Any Card At Any Time) by Sebastien Macak and Philippe Molina.

This way you can use hundredths to force a number.

If in the basic routine that is presented as a speed competition (with stopwatch), you use the app (Acaat). And you pay attention to the hundredths that are displayed (which happens to be the forced number).

You have an excellent routine that will always be with you and you can force any number naturally without needing an extra book.
Myles Thornton
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 29, 2021, jgeerts wrote:
Hello,
You can use the ACAAT (Any Card At Any Time) by Sebastien Macak and Philippe Molina.

This way you can use hundredths to force a number.

If in the basic routine that is presented as a speed competition (with stopwatch), you use the app (Acaat). And you pay attention to the hundredths that are displayed (which happens to be the forced number).

You have an excellent routine that will always be with you and you can force any number naturally without needing an extra book.

This is a great idea, combining the two product to make a killer every day carry. Thanks for sharing your idea jgeerts
jgeerts
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of jgeerts
And you can also write on the back of the Sudoku card, a card value (e.g. 9 S). And on top of that you stick the Chad Long 'Scratch' stickers. So you have a revelation waiting for you (if you want it) and you use a coin to scratch and reveal the card Smile
And if you've also rewritten the card with a frixion pen, you'll have two possible revelations, one of which will be a transformation from one to the other!
Myles Thornton
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Nice the scratch sticker are another great idea and fit with the design of the cards
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of rowland
Been using this since it can out. Really pleased with this on so many levels. Good quality cards which can be multi purpose because of the way they have been designed.
The supplied rubber band is a nice touch ( you know how us magicians hate to buy a trick and then have to go searching or buy something that should have been included)
Zero memory work.
Many different routines and ideas, there are also some great ones on here so thanks to people that have come up with them. Love the scratch card idea.
80 performances before you need to buy refills so very good value for money.
Plays for just about any age group, fits in your wallet or pocket and my reactions so far have been very good.
If all that’s not enough Myles is giving you a bonus if you contact him after purchasing.
What’s not to like about this 😀
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2615 Posts

Profile of NeilS
From what I have seen I like the design of the cards but I have two concerns.

If this is based on sudoku which uses the numbers 1 to 9, if higher numbers are shown, how is this addressed?

Secondly, if you give the card to the spectator to keep, is the card a legitimate sudoku? A magic Square yes, but it is meant to be a sudoku.

I am certainly interested in this but feel spectators who are likely to know the sudoku puzzle could 'smell a rat.' Hopefully my concerns can be allayed.

Neil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SUDOKU 2.0 BY MYLES THORNTON (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL