We Remember The Magic Cafť We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Ultimate Mental Die by Magic Wagon (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Absolutely right Simon, in fact I give the box (with the die inside) to the spectator at the start and ask them to look it all over and try and guess what is inside. With out directly saying "please examine this", they do examine it and confirm it is impossible to see what is inside the box. Am continuing to refine my presentation approach on this effect and it is quickly becoming a MW favorite. I think you will like it Gerald.
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Regular user
Lake O The Pines Texas
191 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
Thanks gents after further investigation and chats I think I will pass. It is just not an effect I will use on a regular basis.
I don't understand all I know about this
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5580 Posts

Profile of videoman
Ok, so I belatedly pulled the trigger on this.

First of all, let me state upfront that Iím not at all an MW fanboy. In fact, just the opposite. I've been disappointed by their products far more often than I have liked them. Iím not a collector either, I need to be able to actually use the prop under the conditions in which Iíll be performing it. There are many things Iím not crazy about when it comes to their typical construction and methods but I wonít go into all the details. I've probably purchased about a dozen MW props. How many do I currently own? Three, counting this most recent one, and probably soon to be two.

The reason I provide this background is so youíll know that when I say I really like the Ultimate Mental Die it is because it is a very nice prop with a beautiful method and not simply because I love the company and think they can do no wrong. I honestly like this one a lot. It reminds me of one of their previous releases Voodoo. I owned Voodoo when it first came out but then sold it. It was one of the first MW props I bought. Had I known then that I would dislike practically every one of their releases after that I probably would have kept Voodoo because it is a nice one IMO. But at that time I believed the MW hype and wrongly assumed that everything they released would be wonderful. I quickly learned this was not to be the case with I believe was my next MW purchase, that Tiger and Dragon piece of resin junk (does anyone actually perform that one regularly?) Oh well, live and learn. 😃

But we all have different tastes and likes and I certainly donít begrudge anyone for being an MW collector. Iím envious really. I just never got that collector gene, for anything.

But if I believe something is good I will say so, and the UMD is not only good, itís possibly great. Well, still not a big fan of the unfinished teak but I can live with it. Even the brass screws as spots are growing on me when at first I didnít care for that design element at all. Iím really glad I got it though and man, you better believe I was hesitant.

Iím honestly thinking this one will be a keeper and thatís about the biggest compliment I can give it!
Monte123
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Monte123
"Remember, people only rain on your parade because theyíre jealous of your sun and tired of their shade" Smile
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2021, videoman wrote:
But if I believe something is good I will say so, and the UMD is not only good, itís possibly great.

This was a really surprising praise speech 😎 Which details made you feel so positive ?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5580 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2021, Magic Dust wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2021, videoman wrote:
But if I believe something is good I will say so, and the UMD is not only good, itís possibly great.

This was a really surprising praise speech 😎 Which details made you feel so positive ?

I do like the method and the effect combined with method fills a hole that Iíve been looking to fill. So I was happy it suited my needs.
And I like that it is made from wood, kind of gives an innocence to it.

But why are all MW wood props so dull and boring? They all look unfinished to me.
The design is as usual completely lackluster and void of any interesting design elements. Seems to be the MW trademark.

MW really needs to hire an art director or at least a consultant for their wood line. I understand it would almost certainly raise the price, but I think their large fan base would cover it. Itís odd because the wood props lack any design yet their resin props are generally over the top from a design standpoint.

With wooden props, when I perform casually, I usually say I built the prop or at least donít correct them when they assume I did (friends know I do woodworking) so Iím usually stuck spending a fair amount of time and money making them look like something I would actually want to take credit for building. Or just to make them presentable from a magic standpoint. No decent art director would allow the UMD be shipped with that horrible black box monstrosity stuck to the bottom of it. Whatís that about? Just seems really out of place. Function over form?
So thatís gonna have to go.

Have a few other ideas to dress it up and add some interest. I would actually prefer these props to look a little more ďmagickyĒ to be honest. Kind of surprised more collectors donít request this. I wouldnít think price would be an issue. But maybe itís just the time weíre in. Things tend to go in cycles and I guess plain & simple is whatís in these days. But I still love the gorgeous glossy Owen props from yesteryear. Itís what I grew up on and I still love them. 😍
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2021, videoman wrote:
Have a few other ideas to dress it up and add some interest. I would actually prefer these props to look a little more ďmagickyĒ to be honest. Kind of surprised more collectors donít request this. I wouldnít think price would be an issue. But maybe itís just the time weíre in. Things tend to go in cycles and I guess plain & simple is whatís in these days. But I still love the gorgeous glossy Owen props from yesteryear. Itís what I grew up on and I still love them. 😍

I see some points similar to you but the price and the time of production also play a very big role and I am not sure whether above a certain price threshold an economic sale is still guaranteed. I don't own a single prop from Owen Magic but of course I see the quality differences. I like Phantom Die Cabinet very much https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/st......supreme/ but look at the price and it is from 2009 and if this trick would be produced today it would definitely be even higher. Perhaps you might share some of your ideas of upgrading the Teak line in the Magic Wagon thread.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2440 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Thanks to John for the brass plaque idea, which helps to justify the black "pedestal". I'm pretty happy with the result. You can find John's routine in the Secret Sessions (Magic Wagon thread) as well as on the Magic Wagon page on Facebook.

meridianfan
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
Wow- looks great!
Monte123
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Monte123
Classy, very nice!
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2440 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Thanks! Here is a variant...

Monte123
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Monte123
Majestic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Ultimate Mental Die by Magic Wagon (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL