The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Making extra money at shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
What about the bugaboo of vendors' licenses and related legal tripwires?

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I came up with one of those 'ultimate secrets' for performers, especially street (it works BETWEEN performances!)and Ren fairs...but I'm real reluctant to tell it in open forum. It is WAY too sweet and an original idea.

I will PM two folks I trust on this forum and run it by them late tonight...first...and see where it goes...this IS a little KILLER. As Bugs Bunny says "Ain't I a stinker?"
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
Quote:
On 2004-08-31 17:58, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
What about the bugaboo of vendors' licenses and related legal tripwires?

Steve

This will depend on your state. I kow in NY you have to have a sales tax number to collect sales tax. People do actualy check these things at fairs and festivals. Check with you local county clerk for more info.

That aside, you can check out http://www.fivedollarmagickit.com for kits to sell after a show.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Is Rick Allen's Mega Bux still available?
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
The biggest problem I've got with BOR merch is the inventory and having to haul the stuff. Earlier this year, I created a product that is totally automated for Internet delivery. A 36 lesson, time released ventriloquism course at:
http://www.Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Following shows I hand out cards and see new sign-ups over the next couple of days. The course features five free lessons and then requires payment. I'm averaging a solid and steady percentage of conversions. Best part - no printing, no inventory, and no worries with sales licenses. It is all done and there to earn income 24/7.

The site worked out so well, I teamed with another magician to create a one year beginner's magic course. It is themed to our magic shop at the Maryland Renaissance Festival. (Nothing screams renaissance like an Internet magic course...) There is a three trick funnel, followed by 52 lessons, released one a week. For immediate sales, we will use an overview video on a camouflaged Ye Old Ipad and accept payment immediately. (Offering incentives for the immediate sale.) We are also starting to work on promotion for the site and setting up for affiliates to generate some on-line sales. The site is at:
http://www.GuildOfWizards.com
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lots of people like to do business with Robins on line, and they are good to work with on line, but if you ever call them up with any question what so ever be prepared for a very rude awakening. They have absolutely no customer service skills and in the middle of your question are quite liable to hang up on you with out even a good by. Robbins are definitely the rudest people I have ever spoken to on the phone.

The nice people at Loftus will bend over backward to make sure you are happy before you hang up.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2004-06-18 13:17, Donald Dunphy wrote:
If you are looking to find something that you can print and personalize yourself, check out the instant author books...

I get a kick out of these. I've had a handfull of school principals and public librarians show me copies they were given - same exact book, all different "authors".

One librarian, who is in charge of hiring presenters for two districts near me, showed me FOUR of these she got a her main library. FOUR different magicians gave the library a copy of "their" book, all claiming to be the author, all books identical.

Guess which four magicians ain't going to be working her libraries any more.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Note to self.

Do not give away any instant author books to librarians, just sell them to the little kids.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2012-07-01 07:39, aussiemagic wrote:
Is Rick Allen's Mega Bux still available?

Sorry. I have no idea. I made my comments on this thread 8 years ago, and I've lost contact with Rick Allen since then.

As to instant author product, I always change them in significant ways. So, I don't recommend the idea of keeping the same cover and insides, and just changing your name on the cover.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I agree with Donald. You can easily take the basic set up of an instant authur book and add and delete effects to make it your own, as well as create a unique cover. I personally wanted to add additional value to mine pror to selling it anyway. The instant authur product is helpful at getting the ball rolling though.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You could just charge more for your show if you need money. Nahhh never mind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Danny - have you shared your concept with David Copperfield. He hasn't quite figured that out yet either.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So the comparison is valid?

And what does he sell? Instant author books?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Yes - the comparison is valid. He (DC) realizes that people coming to his shows have various levels of expendable income and interest. Some come and sit in cheap seats and leave. Other people sit in expensive seats, buy t shirts, DVD's, posters and such. His income is determined by more than just the price of his show.

Many times the person hiring us as a performer has a fixed budget and allows BOR sales to attract a performer who would generally charge more than their budget but can make up the difference or more in sales. The performer, like DC realize that some will come to the show and leave, but others will purchase books, wands and such. Instant author books fit more in line with the fact that we selling them are hardly a celebrity like DC, but we are somewhat celebreties to the kids who watch our shows and purchase them as keepsakes. Books @ $3 sell all the time after my shows. Wands @ $2 sell even better. If raising the rate of the show was that simple, everyone would do it - including DC. This is a way to hold the rate at a certain price yet yield the desired income.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The comparison is convenient and little more.

But cool.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
A person who sells a book, and claiming to be the author without actually writing it, is being fraudulent. Even if it's with the creator's permission.

A person creating and selling such a book is less than ethical.

People doing that in my territory are exposed as such.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yep.

I don't expose anyone though. But I do agree about the fradulent part.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
What about ghostwriters and graphic designers who can help you write books or design promotional products?

Is it the mass copying of a single source that is the problem, or are there objections with using any sort of ghostwriter?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Instant author books are nice, but there are lots of other items that you can make good money on too.

Danny
When you get a job in a library they usually have a budget limit, so you are only going to get so much from the librarian, but most kids at library shows show up with a parent, and the parent's purchases after your show can easily be more than your fee. So you can turn a $200 show into a $500 pay day with a few smart BOR items.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 02:16, Donald Dunphy wrote:
What about ghostwriters and graphic designers who can help you write books or design promotional products?

Is it the mass copying of a single source that is the problem, or are there objections with using any sort of ghostwriter?

- Donald

Seriously Donald? You don't see a difference in hiring a ghost writer to tell YOUR OWN STORY and putting your name on something you didn't create and claiming you did? If so then there is no need to talk to you about it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Making extra money at shows (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL