We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » TCC Spirit Slates Mini (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5580 Posts

Profile of videoman
Not sure if it will work in this case as I do not own these slates.
But in similar situations I like to use a single edge razor blade and carefully cut as small of a section as possible to get it started. This is usually at a corner.

Then try covering the film with packing tape to help avoid the disintegration into tiny pieces. Typically the tape is sticky enough to lift up the area you cut to lift it up enough to grab.
To cut the rest of the perimeter I push the entire length of the razor blade into wherever I need it cut, holding the blade flat and parallel to the surface. I believe in this case it would be where the slate meets the wood frame if I’m understanding correctly.

Now, rather than cutting downwards with the blade, you pull upwards with the tape/film against the blade while holding the blade down firmly. I say firmly but you typically don’t need to press too hard. Just hard enough to cut the tape/film. It maybe easier to only place the tape up to about an eighth of an inch or so from where you need to cut in order to avoid having to slice through both the tape and the film. Or you may find it easier not to use any tape at all. This could require a little experimentation.

Can’t guarantee this will work any better or at all in your particular case as I can’t see what you’re actually dealing with. So of course use this technique at your own risk and with common sense.
I only pass this along as a suggestion that could possibly make this task easier.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Thanks videoman.

I actually considered using one of those coupon cutters to remove the film but I thought of two possible problems.

First, I do not think that the tiny cutting chip would be able to reach deep enough into the edge where the frame meets the slate.

Second, I am not sure that the cutting chip is sharp enough to properly cut through the film.

Is everyone familiar with the coupon cutter I am referring to? It is usually a small orange piece of plastic with a tiny diamond or some kind of sharp chip inserted at one end but not at the tip. You normally place it flat against a page of coupons and slide it along the dotted line around the perimeter of each coupon.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5542 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thank you for generously offering your help videoman!

So sad that this easily-avoidable issue is taking up so much of our collective time.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
This is almost not to believe what I read here, a real nightmare ...

for anyone who spends his money on a supposedly high quality product
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

I am thinking that others here on the Café bought the slates as well. Maybe they can check in here and let us know how they made out removing the film and if they are satisfied with the slates.

Surprising that there has been no discussion about these except what is posted here so far.
rgnprof
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of rgnprof
I received these slates a few days ago. Wow! This has been extremely frustrating, and disappointing! You would have to really go out of your way to come up with a worse idea. I scratched the 'slate', trying to be very careful in removing this film. Use a very sharp-tipped blade and take your time - I mean like schedule your day around it! (ok...may be exaggerating a bit).

They are "OK" slates, but definitely not worth the effort. I'm a bit worried about the ongoing ability to keep the gimmick clean!

Hate to be so negative!

ryan
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5542 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I emailed TCC on Sunday regarding the damage to my gi***ck, and heard back from them this morning. Good response rate, but not a good response. (As a reminder, when I removed the gi***ck from the frame exactly as described in their video, a piece of the surface tore - yes tore, it is made out of cardboard - due to a dab of glue on the opposite side). They are asking that I send them the precise measurements of the gi***ck since they are all slightly different, and they will send me a new one with my next order.

Yes, you read that right. They will send me a replacement gi***ck for the one that was damaged due to their sloppy gluing when I place a new order.

I replied in a professional but disappointed fashion arguing the point. We'll see what happens.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5542 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Update: TCC replied to my email this morning regarding the replacement gi***ck, and that I shouldn't have to purchase anything new to receive it. They complied and apologized for the inconvenience.

I'll send them the measurements and see how long it takes to get the replacement. Their communication has been quick, and if I receive the replacement in a reasonable amount of time, I'll consider the matter closed and consider reordering in the future.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

First, great to hear that you will receive a replacement special something Wizard.

Second, I am wondering if that special something could be toughened up using some kind of spray or other substance which would make it more durable.

By the way, a chalk board which the slates are eventually become used looking as a result of performance wear and tear. That could be a big plus in that once the slates are broken in, they will look like typical slates and as a result, marks, etc. will not be a concern.

So, there is hope with this set!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Out of interest can’t you just re blacken these yourself with blackboard paint, or are are they plastic coated on the surface? Regards Gaz 😊
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 27, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Out of interest can’t you just re blacken these yourself with blackboard paint, or are are they plastic coated on the surface? Regards Gaz 😊

If they were plastic coated, I suspect that they would not work properly.

Perhaps you can but really do not know.

These are actually quite nice but removing the film and special something have concerns.

I am sure that someone handy could easily get the set up to snuff.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Thanks so are you saying they are not plastic coated? So you could just paint with blackboard paint if they show signs of wear? Thanks for any help as they do look nice, I loved the Gene Anderson routine and also the Boy/Girl by Astor that he had to withdraw because of Genes effect Gaz 😊
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Why would they coat slate with plastic? How would you write on them?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I don’t know, that just look plastic coated from the link and also I couldn’t see if they were not why you were all having so much trouble with them? Ie just repaint them with blackboard slate paint. I only say that as I have done it before or blackboards loads of times Gaz 😊
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 27, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
I don’t know, that just look plastic coated from the link and also I couldn’t see if they were not why you were all having so much trouble with them? Ie just repaint them with blackboard slate paint. I only say that as I have done it before or blackboards loads of times Gaz 😊

I can tell from what you are saying above that perhaps you have not read the entire thread here. If you do, everything should become clear.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes I’ve read every post and was trying to work out what these are made of? Some people are indicating cardboard layers and yet the pictures look like some kind of plastic.
So yes I’ve read it all, I just couldn’t work out what the trouble was as thinking of buying it.
Removing the plastic film is a non issue for me and neither is separating the gimmick.
I just wanted to know what the actual slates were made from and what the finish was ie slate, blackboard paint etc Gaz 😊
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

So, the slate I assume is genuine slate. That special something is not slate.

A protective film is on the four slates which needs to be removed..

The only preparation required for this set is to first remove the protective film and then the slates are ready to go and use.

Hope that clears it up.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Has anyone made a video of the procedure to remove the plastic film to demonstrate what happens with the

protective foil (seems not to come up easy in one piece) without securing the entire protective film with tape ?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Ok thank you all understood Gaz 😊
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2418 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Hey guys years ago I had a very similar project with protective film over a chalkboard that was almost impossible to remove. I was told to get a hair dryer and heat up one corner of it and have a little razor blade ready to cut into the film ever so slightly. Then to slowly peel the film off as it was heated up and it worked really well there was a residue that was left behind that I had to use if I remember correctly it was acetone to get it off of there. From what I learned about that this may be the only way to get that film off of there just be patient as you peel it off while you keep the blow dryer on and it should separate it. And of course I wish you good luck with getting it off of there do it slowly and keep it warmed up.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » TCC Spirit Slates Mini (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL