The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Origami Box - Plans? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
Does anyone have any comment on Greg Frewin's version. It sounds really cool but what does it look like?

Does anyone see the restoration of the mirror as a bit of an anti-climax for the rest of the illusion?

TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
TinMan4
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of TinMan4
It's really funny that when you talk to Jim and ask about Wellington's version he states that John Gaughn is the only builder authorized for Origami as well as Pole levitation, Elevator, and Interlude.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
According to the web site it's likely that Wellington is authorized for Origami, but not the others. So, technically, Steinmeyer is correct in stating that Gaughan is authorized to build ALL the listed illusions.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
The restoration of the mirror is a bit anticlimatic IMHO the way Greg does it with the mirrors back to the audience. Maybe a more visual restoration or a bit of theme could do a better job.
Alexandermagic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
22 Posts

Profile of Alexandermagic
I remember the Wellington ad on the back of MAGIC with the broken mirror Origami. Did anyone ever see it done? Love to see a video of that. The restoration idea at the end sounded cool. As for Gaughan vs. Wellington, at least when it comes to Origami the Gaughan version is much more precise and beautiful with exquisite attention to detail. The Wellington is tougher and kinda "built to last". But if you try both you'll find the Gaughan so precision it almost works by itself. n Just my two cents
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
There was once a set of Origami plans offered by Osborne, but they were pulled from the market shortly after appearing.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2012-08-18 11:40, Alexandermagic wrote:
I remember the Wellington ad on the back of MAGIC with the broken mirror Origami. Did anyone ever see it done? Love to see a video of that. The restoration idea at the end sounded cool.

That's the Greg Frewin model. I think Greg performed it on one of the Champions of Magic tv specials, from back in the 1990s. He's been on a few tv specials, including his own, so sometimes I get them mixed up.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
So many words...the best model is John Gaughan, I even not live in America,but understand this. Wellington good too,perfect finishing,and even more comfortable for the lady-assistant,because little thicker base,little wider. But J.G. look better, when viewed from all sides! That my opinion....All other origami( not authorized) is HOROR -GAMI Smile ,please respect himself and famous masters builders,and not lost his money...
Alexandermagic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
22 Posts

Profile of Alexandermagic
Serg,

So glad to hear this refreshing attitude toward master builders. Wish a lot of people on the eastern block shared your attitude. As you may know illegal copies of illusions number in the thousands there. I don't live in Ukraine, but to say it another way . . . . . . . .

Я рад, что у вас такое отношение к данному вопросу, поскольку, как вы знаете, многие представители стран `Восточного блока` делают нелегальные копии иллюзий известных мастеров.
Mad Jack
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Mad Jack
When I ordered my first Origami in 1994, I happened to mention to John Gaughan on the phone that a friend of mine had one made by wellington. John got more than a little upset saying that Wellington was only authorized to make one unit and it wasn't my friends! True story. I have heard from reputable sources that John was instrumental in the development of the illusion and Bill of Wellington was not so I understand John's unhappiness. I don't know if things have been worked out or not but I assume so as Wellington has made many more since then. I have owned a total of three... Two Gaughans (including the one I currently own) and a wellington. Both are nice but for me the John Gaughan takes the prize. It is prettier, smaller, lighter and wouldn't you want to own the version that Siegfried & Roy, Doug Henning, The Penndragons and so many other top artists in our business have performed...?

Just my random thoughts...

MJ
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
Thanks for the support Alexander,and kind words I was surprised with Russian Language!!! Best wishes,Sergey.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Origami Box - Plans? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL