The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Topit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I remember when the Topit was used by shop lifters before it was used for magic. By the way, it's still used by shop lifters.

Emmett
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Actually, the predecessor to the topit is mentioned in Hocus Pocus, Jr., although it isn't described in detail. It's really an offshoot of the gaming bag used not only by poachers, but by gamekeepers. The difference between a gaming bag and a poacher's pouch is the relationship to the tunic or jacket.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I've heard stories about young hooligans who would sew pillowcases onto the inside of their jackets, which they would fill with candy/etc.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
However, the use of a poachers pouch/hare pocket was different, it was filled while no-one was looking! (anyone can do that). The moveable Topit which pinned in and adapted for magic use was first used as a pack of cards vanish and marketed that way in England by Harold Comden. It was advertised in Stanyon's Magic around 1918.

Paul.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Lewis Davenport used to vanish a deck of cards with the topit... and also he would vanish the family CAT... Pat Page learned it from Davenport and was the first to really expoit it magically.

Bob Driebeek invented the Necktie Topit, and Fred Kaps made great use of it. It is currently marketed by Norm Nielsen.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I like the improvements that Jay Scott Berry has made to his version of the device. No more "overshooting the target."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Pete said:
"Pat Page learned it from Davenport and was the first to really expoit it magically"

I would have thought the first to really exploit it magically would have been Harold Comden Smile

But as he was long before my time, I must admit Pat Page was the first magician I saw using it that convinced me it was a great tool.

Mike Ammar's much later look at it, and book on it, are well worth reading.

Paul.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Comden may have locally, but Pat really moved it around with his travels and lectures. And people from all over the world used to visit Davenport's when Pat worked there. That spread its use worldwide.
BathTub
View Profile
Regular user
Wellington, NZ
102 Posts

Profile of BathTub
A Cat? That would have to be one very sedantry animal, I take it we aren't talking about throwing the animal around, you would never get away with that?

A Cat!
Nigel McNaughton aka 'BathTub'
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Yes I once read a story about how lewis used the cat, a bowl of rice etc. but his wife wouldnt let him use it on his baby daughter!!!

Tom
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Topits topits topits.....WHAT'S A TOPIT??!? *sigh* I know....I know.....I don't get to find out here. But all this talk about overthrowing, Dan Sylvester, and the miraculaous vanishes / productions has me intruiged. I'll have to visit that JSB site and give topits a try.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Heck I use it for shoplifting Smile
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Quote:
On 2004-08-01 13:01, mattisdx wrote:

I stole my new topit from the magic shop using my old topit Smile
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Remember the Upside Down Topit??? ARgh... Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Pete I have a couple of Danny Korem's "Upside Down Toppit's". I think that Danny and Tommy Wonder are the only people who actually made these things work (and look magical).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
I Cast No Shadow
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of I Cast No Shadow
Quote:
On 2004-08-11 10:48, kukram wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-08-01 13:01, mattisdx wrote:

I stole my new topit from the magic shop using my old topit Smile

Oh yeah? Well I used a pull to steal my toppit! j/k Smile
"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious" - Murphy's Corollary
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-08-13 07:18, Harry Murphy wrote:
Pete I have a couple of Danny Korem's "Upside Down Toppit's". I think that Danny and Tommy Wonder are the only people who actually made these things work (and look magical).

John Cornelius used it before Danny Korem nicked it and sold it for an astronomical price. Al Koran used the principle when he did his version of Leipzig's "pride."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Didn't Fred Kapps, use a coat tails topit (or pouch) to vanish things as well as the neck tie topit. I think Kapps invented the Coat Tails topit, but I'm not sure....hmmmm?, Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2004-08-27 07:03, Eddini_81976 wrote:
I think Kapps invented the Coat Tails topit, but I'm not sure....hmmmm?, Ed, (Eddini).

The profonde is described at least as far back as Hoffmann's "Modern Magic", and that I found by grabbing only one book off the shelf.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Leppy
View Profile
Regular user
Eden Prairie, MN
161 Posts

Profile of Leppy
I have to say that, along with Mr. Palmer, I like the JSB topit. Although this is the first and only that I have tried and used, I do like the way it feels and handles...that is, when I do get the chance to use it. I was first introduced to it at the JSB lecture in the Twin Cities. Does anyone else have any preferances?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Topit (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL