We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Perfect Pen by John Cornelius (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, Jonas1969 wrote:
I received my Perfect Pen today, already. It is nice but my biggest negative about it is that the cap for the pen is very loose. It will not stay on the pen very well; and the cap removed and placed on the back?, it must be held onto, otherwise it will simply fall off. It sucks that it is a great effect, but why Murphy‘s (or whoever made the thing)could not have the pen cap actually fit the pen? Maybe I received a flawed one? Fully examinable? no; unless the spectator is not very smart. Oh, and it does not write either. Disappointing. :/

I have also noticed both points with my ballpoint pen. What bothers me most is that the cap is not really tight when
the ballpoint pen is closed. A little stronger squeezing helps a little but is certainly not a secure holding method.
This has really not been well solved. I believe that this flaw is not an exception but the rule.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5518 Posts

Profile of RNK
In today's world everything is made so much more cheaply it is such a shame.
Doric
View Profile
Special user
655 Posts

Profile of Doric
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2021, Marvelous wrote:
I hope the new Perfect Pen is the same quality as the original.

I am not hopeful since Murphy’s dropped the ball with Mikame.

Your hopes are dashed based on owners feedback so far. 😟
leosx1
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of leosx1
Maybe I was lucky but the one I received works perfect in every respect.
Jonas1969
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Jonas1969
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, leosx1 wrote:

Lucky you. It writes? and the cap doesn‘t easily fall off both ends? It‘s okay for what it is, but definitely cheaply made; and the customer should not have to fix major flaws, straight out of the box. :/
profmagic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of profmagic
There have been several complaints about a loose fitting cap. Add mine to the list. The problem is inconsistent, making things quite unpredictable. I must have received a defective pen because there are times when the mechanism is not at all smooth and often gets stuck and doesn't work at all. I'm tired of returning defective items so I will probably eat the cost of the pen.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2265 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:

Yes, I consider myself lucky as well, writes fine and cap fits just right. I have an old one of these, but it was an original and kind of looked beat up. To me, this is probably the best pen thru effect. The tutorial was very good as well.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2021, profmagic wrote:
I'm tired of returning defective items so I will probably eat the cost of ...

These returns also get on my nerves, but since it is often not a small amount, goods with defects
must be able to be returned free of charge. If the dealer does not offer this, then better to switch to
another dealer. Actually, it should be no problem to check goods that are not sealed before shipping,
but there is probably also a lack of competent staff. This saves the buyer and the dealer afterwards
a lot of trouble and costs.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1694 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The best penetration in my mind is still the Wonder Pen-A-Tration by Doug Edwards. The pen looked as regular as can be, the magnet was strong enough to do a wonderful push through penetration and sideways pullout/removal. The funny thing always was that people looked at the pen and went straight for the bill. That moment always allowed for a tip steal and then it IS examinable. I know because I've had people take it apart and remove the ink cartridge from the barrel, which you can do, and you will find nothing. You can't do that with a perfect pen. If someone starts pulling and twisting, you're toast...

Tried the stealth pen from Penguin and the magnet is just too weak. IMHO, YMMV...

Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, dooblehorn wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I consider myself lucky as well, writes fine and cap fits just right. I have an old one of these, but it was an original and kind of looked beat up. To me, this is probably the best pen thru effect. The tutorial was very good as well.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Cap is loose on the few units I’ve seen too, magnet seems weaker than on the older one, but still a good pen through bill Smile
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review Channel, new reviews coming every week ! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5580 Posts

Profile of videoman
Another good one is Sharp Shot, which is a sharpie thru bill. I like the sharpie because we are often carrying one anyway.
The magnet is super strong and the cap is tight.

One downside is you have to switch out the entire pen if you want it examined, but as kaliix said, they check out the bill first anyway so plenty of time and cover to switch & ditch.
Plus, they’re less likely to be interested in the sharpie because often they have “already handled it” during a previous effect.

Of course the upside is it’s less than half the cost of the imperfect perfect pen.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7611

But for casual impromptu use I still like Ignition the best. I carry it on my everyday keychain and keep the gaff in my wallet which I ring in while getting out a bill in case they don’t have one to borrow. This is another reason I prefer a bill compartment over a money clip. But even with a clip it’s easy enough to obtain the gaff so it’s not a huge deal.

Quote:
On Jul 25, 2021, Kaliix wrote:
The best penetration in my mind is still the Wonder Pen-A-Tration by Doug Edwards. The pen looked as regular as can be, the magnet was strong enough to do a wonderful push through penetration and sideways pullout/removal. The funny thing always was that people looked at the pen and went straight for the bill. That moment always allowed for a tip steal and then it IS examinable. I know because I've had people take it apart and remove the ink cartridge from the barrel, which you can do, and you will find nothing. You can't do that with a perfect pen. If someone starts pulling and twisting, you're toast...

Tried the stealth pen from Penguin and the magnet is just too weak. IMHO, YMMV...

Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, dooblehorn wrote:
Quote:

rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1088 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2021, videoman wrote:
...But for casual impromptu use I still like Ignition the best. I carry it on my everyday keychain and keep the gaff in my wallet which I ring in while getting out a bill in case they don’t have one to borrow. This is another reason I prefer a bill compartment over a money clip. But even with a clip it’s easy enough to obtain the gaff so it’s not a huge deal.

Hard to beat Ignition....
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2021, videoman wrote:
Another good one is Sharp Shot, which is a sharpie thru bill. I like the sharpie because we are often carrying one anyway.
The magnet is super strong and the cap is tight.

That's funny because I own Sharp Shot and the cap is loose...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5580 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2021, PatrickGregoire wrote:

That's odd because I own Sharp Shot and the cap is loose...

That’s quite odd because I own 2 Sharp Shots and have handled a few others and have found each one to be as tight as a genuine sharpie lid. In fact I assumed they were manufactured from actual sharpies. But I guess you can experience problems with anything.

Have you tried substituting lids from other sharpies?
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2021, videoman wrote:

Have you tried substituting lids from other sharpies?

That felt like a good idea but turned out to be a bad one lol. The gimmick stayed jammed into the real cap (I got it out though, had to destroy the cap).

To be clear, the cap doesn't fall off the sharpie, but it's loose fitting so when you take it in and out of your pocket, it can easily slip off. That's what's always bothered me. Makes switching quite cumbersome.
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Veteran user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
385 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Got the pen today.

Lots of issues. Smile

The sliding inner tube was too tight fit, both to get the tip further out in "penetration length mode" and later when you should push it back in.
Could not be done with only the fingers, as first shown in the instructions.
Using the cap worked, to close it, but still very tight.

So, I poked the inner tube out and found that it probably had been too loose first when they made it!!
Therefore someone had, probably with a small hammer, made a couple of really heavy dents and marks in it!!
In this way, it was not cylindrical any more, and even bent,!
But this modification was done too much, so the tube was too hard to move!! A very snug fit!!

So, with a small file, some sanding paper, and polishing wax and also a small hammer to get the tube almost straight again, I manage to make it work so smoothly I guess it should have been right out of the box!!!
And a small pressure on the cap/lid fixed its "looseness".

Yes. I know, I should have sent it back, but Post in my country these days is a catastrophe, so....
This was a quicker fix... And now the word is out, at least here at the Café!!!!

The quality control really sucks, Murphy!!!! Smile Smile Smile
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Veteran user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
385 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
In my post above I forgot to mention that I owned the original Cornelius Pen many moons ago, but I lost it somehow.
Therefore I was qute pleased when I found this rerelease.
Well, I guess I was hoping too much, sorry to say.

It is ok for the price I guess... Smile
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2021, Thomas Walter wrote:
So, I poked the inner tube out and found that it probably had been too loose first when they made it!!
Therefore someone had, probably with a small hammer, made a couple of really heavy dents and marks in it!! In this way, it was not cylindrical any more, and even bent !

After reading your post, I also examined my inner pen and found something similar. The inner part has been knocked a little wide in the middle to create resistance. I have cleaned the outer tube from the inside with a small cotton cloth and then the inner brass tube. Then used some fine mechanic oil and moved and turned everything back and forth a few times and now everything works quite smoothly and much easier. But something like this should really be the case from the beginning. The cap sits reasonably tight when pressed on a little harder. However, the cap removed and placed on the back of the pen still sits too loose, possibly a little tape inside the cap helps but I find it not really necessary and important.
Jonas1969
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Jonas1969
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2021, Magic Dust wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2021, Thomas Walter wrote:
Therefore someone had, probably with a small hammer, made a couple of really heavy dents and marks in it!! In this way, it was not cylindrical any more, and even bent !

After reading your post, I also examined my inner pen and found something similar. The inner part has been knocked a little wide in the middle to create resistance. I have cleaned the outer tube from the inside with a small cotton cloth and then the inner brass tube. Then used some fine mechanic oil and moved and turned everything back and forth a few times and now everything works quite smoothly and much easier. But something like this should really be the case from the beginning. The cap sits reasonably tight when pressed on a little harder. However, the cap removed and placed on the back of the pen still sits too loose, possibly a little tape inside the cap helps but I find it not really necessary and important.

Bummer isn't it? As I mentioned, a “Perfect Pen” should come perfectly ready to perform! right? Murphy‘s seriously goofed with quality control on this terribly made pen. One thing is the magnet is quite strong, but so much so you will have to talk loud to cover the very audible click that will happen, unless you are in a loud bar, or out on a busy street; definitely not for quiet surroundings.
Doric
View Profile
Special user
655 Posts

Profile of Doric
I have officially renamed the release 'the imperfect pen'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Perfect Pen by John Cornelius (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL