The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Adding a Powerful Impact to Mentalism (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It's difficult to define exactly what goes into building a powerful mentalism effect. We tend to talk in airy fairy generalities. But exactly how do you do it? What what are the SPECIFIC components?

How do you create tension...interest...IMPACT in the effect you perform?

I've been working on trying to define this for a long time. I made a good start earlier this year during my MindVention lecture. But I kept coming back to my notes again and again. What I wanted was a summary of the things I've learned about making powerful mentalism. I didn't want to write another massive book. I just wanted a document that lays out the basics of how to increase the effectiveness of EVERY mentalism effect. Not so much a book, I guess...but more of a method that can be adapted and applied to nearly every mentalism effect.

It's finished. It's 20+ pages of fluff-free thinking about making mentalism that audiences (and clients) remember and talk about long after the show is finished.

There are preview copies of this eBook waiting for the first six people who PM me and promise to post their thoughts on this thread about what they've read.

If you're in...please PM me along with your email.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
trebeseer
View Profile
New user
S FL
53 Posts

Profile of trebeseer
I PM'd David asking to buy a copy right off the bat. I know it'll be worth it. You do, too!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I took a nap (cause I'm old) and when I woke up I saw that the copies are all spoken for.

I'll be sending them out shortly.

Trebeseet: the book is on sale right now at Magic Pendulums. The link is in my signature.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to seeing what you all think.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
David:

I just tried to buy your ebook, but the process got stuck at "Next."

George
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Sorry about that, George.

I PMed you. If PayPal gets cranky, please PM me and I will get it sorted for you.

It worked for me...but I had to press NEXT a couple of times.

Tech...sigh.

David

trebeseer
View Profile
New user
S FL
53 Posts

Profile of trebeseer
I bought a copy on discount at David's site with no problem. I read it in one sitting.

This book is an overview of David's methods and it does reference his other books if you want more detail. I've been studying a few of his books lately and I am finding a specific path to follow toward high-level mentalism.

It's one thing to practice and attempt to master the physical technique using your CT or whatever you are using. But this little book is about taking it to the next level - what to do with the inf* once you have it.

Instead of just a plain reve** there is so much more to extract. Using verbal and physical techniques (CR & BL) you can take it much deeper. David tells you how.

Want to talk pro*les*? This is it.

But also you are persuaded that you must do more - namely, Entertain! To me, an amateur, none of it is easy. But I'm in for the longer game of learning to do this stuff.

I bet it will pay off with great-looking mentalism that will have people wondering what they just saw.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you very much, trebeseer. I appreciate your thoughts and words very much. (It did take me a while to figure out what pro*les was. Smile )

You understand what the book is about and what it's for. I was talking with another reader of "Impact" and I explained that I didn't want to make a huge book. I wanted to outline a method...a framework for making mentalism more powerful. That's why I wanted to keep the "lecture notes" format -- direct and to the point. No blah blah. If people want other books that's great. But that's not the point. They could develop these techniques purely by doing their own research and piling up performance experience.

Finally: I also wanted it to provide information to people who are just learning mentalism as well as those who have been performing for a long time. That's why it's less than half the price of my other books.

The method I outline here is the same one I use to do my Q and A where nothing is written down by anyone and I just walk through the audience reading people. It's the same method I use on my CTs...every routine, actually, to one extent or another. It is bare bones -- but that's what lecture notes are. It's designed purely to give performers a foundation to build on.

Thanks again for the kind words.

David

domclarke
View Profile
Regular user
Windsor, UK
147 Posts

Profile of domclarke
I found this ebook really valuable - and perfect timing for myself as I have had a lot of time during various lockdowns to consider routines. This gives a clear framework to analyse and upweight the impact of each one, and because it is a few core principles, it can be applied broadly and practically - so I really liked that fact it sparked off a series of thought processes.

David writes very clearly and uses some really good metaphors that make the principles and techniques stick in the mind.

I found it very useful that he discusses 3 key principles and then explains 3 techniques through which to apply them. The way he links the techniques/disciplines is very interesting, and I hadn’t really considered the specific combination before. It gives a real springboard for further research but in particular means that further study is focused. Also worth noting that while it’s a gateway to further exploration there are still a number of specific examples of the techniques applied to routines/ revealing information which means that there is immediate value that can be applied with some thought.

Basically, in general (both in and outside of mentalism), I like learning about principles/frameworks that can then be leveraged across multiple areas, and this has already got me thinking about levels of impact. I will be exploring more of David’s work in these areas.

Cheers,
Dominic
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
David's work here is most impressive in its simplicity and directness. For me it resonates with themes in my eBooks such as Propensive Cues, Story Engagement and Gestalt Influence.
But, directing folks to his book will simplify my explanations (and credibility). So, I am rewriting some eBooks to include are reference to David's work.

For example, I am releasing one Mentalism eBook next month called "Back in a Flash" with the added lines

"There are tremendous opportunities here to adapt the ‘reveal’ of the information to the expectations and involvement of the Volunteer Assistant and audience. For a better understanding of the “greater impact” potential I suggest you read David Thiel’s eBook, 'Adding IMPACT' (http://www.magicpendulums.com). My scripts suggestions are just hints of what is possible."

For any who would like to see how his ideas can enhance the presentation of a multiple read effect, I will send a free copy to any reader here requesting it from ken@eversway.com

It is a neat routine using the BBNS approach that allows for Social Distancing and full audience involvement, with profound "reveals" under impossible conditions.
(Back to Back No See’em). The point is that just having advance information of what the VA is concentrating on does not entertain or mystify.
Full impact comes from "milking" every opportunity in a manner appropriate to the audience of the moment.

Thanks David for simplifying the learning process.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you both for your thoughts. It makes me feel a little less like I am talking to myself. Smile

Dom: I really appreciated that you used the term "sparked off a series of thought processes." That's really the biggest goal I have for any book I write -- the highest thing a book can aspire to do. The idea flows from one mind to another and something new grows out of the blending of the two. Your review cheered my heart. Thank you.

It's funny because I am just reading through a mentalism book from the 50's. It really interests me that this man -- long gone now -- is inspiring someone who wasn't even alive when he wrote his book. It's very cool to think that authors like that live on through their words in a way. It's a little like time travel...

Ken: You are very kind. I'm honoured.

David

mitch731
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of mitch731
Impact is my first exposure to David's work

I love Impact so much I have read it a few times.

Despite being short, Impact is loaded with actionable content. David writes in a way that is very direct and extremely easy to understand. The three principles taught in the book are very straightforward and he gives examples on how to apply the principles.

As mentioned above, the principles taught in Impact can easily cross over into everyday interactions.

David also included resources on both body language and cold reading for anyone looking to study those techniques in depth.

I will definitely be applying the principles in Impact to my act.

I am a newly converted fan of David's work and I will be exploring his other material!
teenagelabotomy42
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of teenagelabotomy42
Sounds interesting. Willl be checking it out soon. Can’t wait.
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
David,
Is the information in Impact contained in The Sharpshooter System?

Woodfield
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
A lot of it is. The basic overview of Col* Reading is laid out in much more detail there. But Impact draws all the options together in a summary.

David

Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Thanks
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Mitch: Thank you very much! I appreciate your thoughts and your review of this book.

Initially I was a little leery about releasing something that is so bare bones. It is designed to lay out an idea -- maybe a bunch of ideas that blend together into a method that can be applied to a number of different routines. It really delights me that it is working for so many people.

This is my second last release -- and it's very good to have so many people getting value from it!

David

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Adding a Powerful Impact to Mentalism (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL