We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Crap I Think About by David Thiel (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trebeseer
View Profile
New user
S FL
22 Posts

Profile of trebeseer
I've been studying David's books lately. I'm just an online acquaintance and have no financial connections with him. He's been a generous and kind teacher and has turned on the lights and pointed the way.

I didn't know what to expect with this book. The title threw me off.
It's 177 pages, 25 chapters, all well written little stories with one thing in common: every story is about some aspect of a professional mentalist's life.
I don't know what I expected it would be.
But these are all different angles of viewing the work of a mentalist.
It covers accounts of various gigs David has worked along with the little details that make you feel like you are there, too.

I identify most with the gig accounts and the wacky things that happen because I'm a professional musician with lots of gig experience from the music biz side. The long drives, the characters, the occasional meeting of someone who touches you in some way, seeing people you know from the previous trip, and more, all ring true.

But for me it was like having someone (a greatly experienced someone) fill in all the little gaps I wondered about the life of a working mentalist. David gives advice on what to do with volunteers, pendulums, media, marketing, and more.

I'm a little too old to consider seriously starting a new mentalism career, but again I learned a lot by reading David's thoughts (so to speak). I'll use the information to try to be a more effective mentalism performer in my little amateur settings.

It's a great read with gold nuggets throughout. You'll dig it.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1425 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I second the motion. David has written and excellent volume. You should purchase it now.
Mentalism in Ontario.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3932 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you both very much. I sincerely appreciate your kind words.

As for titles? I suck at them. Always have.

**sigh**

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12357 Posts

Profile of John C
Stuff I ponder
my mind's nonsense
you don't want to live in my brain
my mind is comin at you!
brain farts and more

and other thoughts by D T

Just some alternate titles.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3932 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thamks, John. Those are interesting options. But I already made the cover so...

:)

When I released this book it was in the midst of a storm of mentalism books that made it sound like the authors were in touch with arcane powers and/or that reading their book would enable you to speak with dolphins and/or have clouds do your bidding.

I think I just got really tired of those weighty sounding book titles.

"Crap I Think About" was also the title of the monthly column I was writing for the Psychic Entertainers Association for several years so why change it?

Richard Osterlind, who wrote the Foreword, noted that this book is all over the place. I included many of my favourite PEA columns, short fiction, true life performance stories and more. I talked about how to get fair and exhibition bookings, how to handle a media interview, going propless for the first time, how to handle volunteers, my near death experience and how it helped me perform mentalism, performing for kids at a shelter -- and more. 31 chapters...of Crap.

I started assembling a second book -- I was going to call it "Son of Crap" or "Still More Crap" -- and I still pick away at it once in a while. But other books keep popping up. Still "Crap" is one of the three or four of my books that just steadily sell all the time. So that's good.

Anyway, John, I may just reach out to you for help on the title if or when I finish it. Thanks for the suggestions...

CRAP just went up at a discounted rate on Magic Pendulums for the next week.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.magicpendulums.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12357 Posts

Profile of John C
Aww crap! I gave it my best shot!
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3932 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Yes you did. And it was a great shot, fella. Smile

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Mindipulator
View Profile
Regular user
Mexico
108 Posts

Profile of Mindipulator
This, along with all of David’s books, is a very good and very helpful read. This one is different from most as it is not on any real topic. It will however, I feel, make anyone better in their performance.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
563 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I love the title, and I must point out what a giant David is in the mentalism world. He has changed my entire perspective when it comes to mentalism. He has treated me as an equal since day one, and has taught me more about mentalism than any of my other online friends. Be it directly, through a forum post on the MGBT, or his books.

David, thank you. Sincerely.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3932 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you, Race! It’s an honour.

David

PS: The title does suck, though. Smile

www.magicpendulums.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Crap I Think About by David Thiel (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL