We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Marc Charisse and the Battle of Allatoona Pass (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of Jim Magus
I want to recommend the work of Marc Charisse for his custom boxes. They are works of art and he takes pride in details.
The first item I acquired from him was a box to hold the circus ticket for Inferno. I also have his Poe box for my routine the Loves of Edgar Allan Poe, which I published in my book Poe Pourri and I know of others that use his Poe box to perform that particular routine since it has been published. I also use Marc’s spirit slates in my Poe Show in my routine Insanitorium (proudly included in my book Ancient and Modern Classics of Bizarre Magick), which is my presentation for the particular props called Room Service. I tie it into my Poe show because Poe’s wife died of tuberculosis. I also have a box Marc made for my Ripper Séance. I have his Krampus box for my Christmas show, using an unpublished Krampus routine I created.
And now I have an Battle of Allatoona Pass box for my Acworth Haunted Pub Crawls. All of the props for the two phase routine are removed from the box.
Phase One is based on Jim Critchaw’s White Star: After I show a stack of photographs about twenty civil war soldiers from both sides, I give each of two spectators an item that I will explain later, and ask them hold the item while they decide whether they have a feeling about certain photographs. Each photograph from the stack is decided upon by the spectators before I explain that parapsychologists claim that the reason Acworth has so many ghosts is because of Allatoona Pass. “Allatoona Pass is technically located in Cartersville, but logistically much closer to downtown Acworth than downtown Cartersville. On June 4, 1864 a horrible battle was fought there and 1600 men died in one day. The streets ran with blood. Parapsychologists say the because of the intense violence in a single day, it created a vortex, or a door to the dead, at Allatoona Pass. And just as the Indian trails came down from Allatoona Pass to Acworth, just as the Railroad comes down this way, so do the ghosts.”
These pictures were of the soldiers fighting the Battle of Allatoona Pass. One of the spectators is holding a bullet that was found at Allatoona Pass, that just might have taken the life of one of these men. The other spectator hold a leaf from Allatoona Pass, a beautiful living thing from the same location as where the bullet was found.
The photographs the bullet holder felt attracted to are all shown to have “killed” on their back. The photographs the leaf holder felt attracted to all have “survived” on their back.
Phase Two is based on Henry Christ’s Dead Man’s Hand: I have a spectator touch the back of one of the “killed” photographs. I hand him that photograph to look at. “He looks so young, and so nervous. Notice he is holding a sword, but this battle was not fought in Roman times, it was a battle where gunshots killed the soldiers.”
The performer opens the box to show, “Inside the box is depicted the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Allatoona Pass, and while all of Allatoona Pass seems to be haunted, strange things happen in particular at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.” The chosen photograph is displayed and placed it inside the empty box. The lid is closed. The performer now draws attention to the outside of the box. “The entire outside of the box is wrapped with a famous painting titled The Battle of Allatoona Pass by artist Thure de Thurlstrup. The top of the box depicts the Clayton house, a private home still standing that was built prior to 1844 by John Clayton. The house was commandeered by the Yankee general when the battle was fought. Because Clayton was an aged man, he was allowed to stay in the house while the battle raged. The house was then used as a hospital. Amputated limbs were lowered on pallets to wagons below, which filled them, to carry off and bury on land at the Pass, and to this day you can see the bloodstains on the hardwood floorboards of the second floor of the house. John Clayton died of shock in the house on November 5, 1864, exactly one month after the battle raged.”
As the box is lifted to display the back, a bang noise is heard. “Gunshots are still heard to this day by people visiting Allatoona Pass.” The box is opened and the selected photograph is shown to now hold a bullet hole through it.
Photos of the box can be seen at www.AcworthGhostTours.com.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5543 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Wonderful routines and storytelling Jim. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I would be willing to bet that the gunshot sound gets some good reactions, if not some curse words. I recently acquired Jamie Daws' excellent "The Clown" routine which incorporates a popping balloon. Needless to say, the large pop in a silent room is quite effective.

I too am a Marc Charisse box addict, and have told him on more than one occasion that I need him to design a large box for me to store all of his boxes that I own. Ideally it could be shown empty when my wife asks me if I've been spending more money on magic boxes.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3509 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Wonderful routines and storytelling Jim. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I would be willing to bet that the gunshot sound gets some good reactions, if not some curse words. I recently acquired Jamie Daws' excellent "The Clown" routine which incorporates a popping balloon. Needless to say, the large pop in a silent room is quite effective.

I too am a Marc Charisse box addict, and have told him on more than one occasion that I need him to design a large box for me to store all of his boxes that I own. Ideally it could be shown empty when my wife asks me if I've been spending more money on magic boxes.

Great idea! Could he build me one the size of my house? lol
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1353 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, Wizard of Oz wrote:
...I need him to design a large box for me to store all of his boxes that I own. Ideally it could be shown empty when my wife asks me if I've been spending more money on magic boxes.

HAHA--this made me laugh out loud!! Sure could've used a box like that before my wife and I separated, LOL..!

Seth
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1217 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Wow, thank you so much for the kind words. As a Civil War buff, I think I might have to get a “battle box” myself. A natural setting for spirit routines.
The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Regular user
The City of Lights
142 Posts

Profile of The Supernaturalist
I have used his props in many performances. My favorite is book he made with Abraham Lincoln's ghost on it. It holds my cards Ghosts of America by Dan Baines and not only looks great, it does most of the work for me! Highest recommendation
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Regular user
Lake O The Pines Texas
194 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
Where can you purchase a battle box of Marc's?
I don't understand all I know about this
Jim Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of Jim Magus
PM him on here. He's a member.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Marc Charisse and the Battle of Allatoona Pass (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL