The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Since my biggest customers were magicians... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thought some of you might get a kick out of this weird stuff. I created them for traveling Side Show Museums, etc., and as it turned out for Magicians by the score! Some big names have my critters hiding in their cabinets.

http://209.150.104.203

I no longer do them, so enjoy from afar.

Doug
Encinitas
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Dang! Just my luck, you arn't producing them any more. These are sweet (in a sour sort of way) littl critters! I love them!

They sure would make some great pickled punk!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks, Harry. They were fun to do. I still threaten myself with doing some again someday. My favorites were the Atomic Fish. Now, they used to get some comments! Magicians, however, had a partiality to my versions of the FeeGee Mermaids. Funny thing how steeped in tradition the fraternity is.

I never showed Pickled Punks (mostly they were abortion babies and not a 'fun' thing to fool folks with...Bouncers were the manufactured and usually rubber variety.)
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2905 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Doug has made some joyously gut-wrenching creations. He also knows how to make money in the world of outdoor showbusiness. He has real secrets folks. Real secrets!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Gawrsh...shucks...Not so secret. Just against the grain...

I love 'Joyously gut wrenching'. Now that's a slogan!
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1931 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Oh, those are awesome Doug! You are my hero!

My magic collection is now looking a bit...tame.

Hmmmmm...
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Wow! Those are incredibly impressive! I admit that I have always wanted a FeeJee Mermaid of my very own. I've also wondered how to go about making decent pickled punks (bouncers, of course).

I recently went into this sad little sideshow tent at a local carnival, and it was just pathetic. The worst props I had ever seen. Now, if this little gilly would have had a couple of Doug's Atomic Fish, the line would have gone all the way down to the Zipper. Good work!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Utah Showmen
View Profile
Regular user
Utah Showman
135 Posts

Profile of Utah Showmen
Ya, Doug,

I have a shrunken torso by Mr. Hugely. Pretty cool stuff. If I could have ever got the dollars together, I would been able to own one of his world famous touring Feejee Mermaids.

Oh Gee, I've been saving my pennies for years now.

Maybe someday.

Doug you know I'm a fan!

Wishing you the Best,

U.S.
John Robinson
Sideshow World
Preserving the Past....Promoting the Future of the Sideshow

Step Right Up It's always Alive on the Inside of Sideshow World

So Go In Now!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I had nothing to do with your 'shrunken torso', John. I was out of town that week.

By the way, that Mermaid has your name on it. Looks stupid on a banner. "SEE JOHN! Up From The Depths Of The Great Salt Lake!"

"Mommy...aren't mermaids girls?"

"Yes, dear, it's a side show thing."

"In UTAH?"

:)

Doug

(BTW: Thanks, guys. I'm torched...uh touched.)

Looks like I might be firing up the the old Mystery World Shows pygmy mummy factory and and begin creating 'Strange Objects' like Feegee Mermaids and Atomic Fish and maybe even the 'Acuna', members of 'Lost Pygmy Tribe Of The Amazon'. Once I can get about fivw orders I can get craking again. Sigh...

By the way, John, I guess this is the ultimate salute, but there are Higley fakes out there! Hahaha.

I was sent a photo of a piece (currently in a museum collection) that is supposed to be and was sold as and labeled as such, one of mine. But it's not. Not really very good either. Wouldn't a 'Higley Fake' be an oxymoron?

And speaking of morons, who would want to do that anyway? I think I'll cut off my ear.

I always joked that the rumor spread that I had croaked was an attempt to drive up value of my old gaffs. Hahaha...joke...Maybe not!

Well, I'll make five more and then croak.

Later.

Doug
Utah Showmen
View Profile
Regular user
Utah Showman
135 Posts

Profile of Utah Showmen
Doug,

Croak, that sounds like a frog thing. Does that mean you're going to make a two or three headed hopper or maybe a six or eigh legged bull frog?

I know a couple of other artists that create the weird and bizarre that same rumor has been running around in Cyber Space.

You know a Rembrandt is worth more than a Howard Stern.

Well glad you're not croaked. Keep up the good work.

It's good to hear you may be going around again and capturing that weird sideshow stuff and put it up for sale.

Thanks for keeping my name on it.

Now, now you say you weren't in town at the time. Well! I have the picture for the ATM.

Wishing you the best,

John
John Robinson
Sideshow World
Preserving the Past....Promoting the Future of the Sideshow

Step Right Up It's always Alive on the Inside of Sideshow World

So Go In Now!
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1931 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
You aren't teasing us are you? If you do decide to start conjuring more demons, please post the details here and in the Bizarre Forum.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Not teasing. There will be an Original Atomic Fish and an Original Feegee first out of the gate. No two ever alike and not Rubber! :-0
Like I said...I'll need some takers before I get them done.

PM me if interested.

Doug
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Doug,

Your Atomic Fish are so great! I used to live within the evacuation zone around Three Mile Island. I moved there after the partial meltdown. Did you know that they had to build a visitor's center there *AFTER* the accident? People kept driving up to the plant asking for a tour, so eventually they had to accomodate them. Just think if I had had the wit to put up a tent nearby with one of your Atomic Fish to show the tourists the story that THEY didn't want you to know...

This could have been as big as the Roswell Incident for tourism!

Yours,

Paul
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Dr Wilson...The Three Mile Island spot could have drawn a few headlines but also some 'heat' as well.

Bobby Reynold's took one of my Alien Dead Guys to Roswell and showed it. hahaha. Got in the paper too!

I don't know how you operate your Med show successfully with out a strange 'zibit as a ding...seems un-natural!

BTW: Forget the web address I put in the first post.
Use this one Crypto Illusions and then if you want the behind the scenes info just eMail me for the secret page.

Doug
DamienT98
View Profile
Regular user
London UK now live in Austin Tx
180 Posts

Profile of DamienT98
Holy cow, those atomic fish look amazing! I've seen similar stuff (not as good as yours) at a ripley's show.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Wow Doug! I love the mermaid!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Geez Regan...that's some scary stuff eminating from your photo...rather disturbing...Happy Halloween!

That Mermaid was created for a prominent member of the Café. You may get to see it some day 'in performance'. Smile No free peeks though...a small piece of silver must change hands for a viewing. It's a Gypsy Curse thing...

An Atomic Fish has also been 'produced' for a well known and highly respected Café member...no photo though on my site...the owner of every 'zibit gets to see it first 'in person'...kind of a bonding thing when they open the box. Smile

Thanks All...

Doug
'The Phantom Of The Midway'
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Sorry Doug. After veiwing some of your creations I didn't think anything could look scary or disturbing to you. I'll take that as a compliment.

About how much are we talking about for one of these creatures? What size are they?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Might I direct you to THE SECRET PAGE (echo echo).

I'll PM you...I'd better hurry...you look a little ripe already. (for those reading this after Oct. 2004, Regan's photo icon was in full Halloween makeup...I hope.)

I don't like putting prices or actually selling on the Café out of respect for Mr. Brooks and the whole set up here. Untill I can afford to buy an ad anyway and become a bonafied advertiser. I don't mind showcasing via the signature as that's within the rules as I understand them...hope you understand.

Sizes vary, with the Fish averaging 20".
The Feegees lay out at about 14" give or take. Depends on the 'look' I'm after at the moment of individual 'creation'.

Doug
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Doug. I got your PM.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Since my biggest customers were magicians... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL