The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Clothespin Question (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Working on a stage illusion that drops Santa hats off a clothesline, one at a time, under my control. Any thoughts as to how to accomplish this in a simple way?
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Pretty simple. Have some magicians rope without the core. Get some large needles and tie 10 lb. test monofilament (or other fishing line) onto them then thread them through the rope to the appropriate positions you need. You can tie color coded beads on the other end that hangs out sled the rope to help keep them identified. Sew a small ring or eye onto each Santa hat in some place inconspicuous. Bring the needle out of the rope sheath, through the ring on the hat then back into the sheath on the other side just enough to hold it in position. When you pull the corresponding bead at the end of the rope, the needle pulls back inside the rope releasing the hat.
Ray Pierce
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thanks Ray - I was thinking very similar thoughts, with a cored out rope & monofilament wires that were labeled. I liked some of the details you mentioned. You worked out a couple of details that I hadn’t solved, so thank you. I was wondering if this type of thing was way too complicated, so I thought I would see what other ideas would emerge. Wouldn’t some RC Clothespins be cool. Thanks for your help. If anyone has other ideas, I would love to hear them.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Ray is completely right about this.

This same trick (with silks ) is in Tarbell Vol 6 .It is called "The Uncanny Silks" by George Blake.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I was thinking it was in Rice’s Silk Encyclopedia! I loved that effect but it seemed to use a cloth tape (which was folded over to create the internal pocket) with button holes for the rods to pass out and back in. The bands stayed inside and you could feel them through the material but the cleverest part was the way the silks were wrapped to create the illusion of them untying in full view. Such a beautiful effect!
Ray Pierce
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Yes, it's also in the Silk Encyl.... the important thing is that there are two ways to wrap/knot the silk around the ribbon... and one of them is definitely better and more amazing than the other!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Without checking the sources quoted above: I do remember Supreme Magic sold a pretty good trick called POPSY PEGS. Of course, it's been "rediscovered" by other companies over the last decade or two and given new names, but it is still a very practical piece. (Maybe it's not original to Supreme...?)

In performance, you can make any one of four long ribbons clipped to a frame with plastic clothes pins "pop-off" at your command. There's no reason this proven method couldn't be adapted to Santa Hats. It's very easy to accomplish.

Now you've got me thinking about using it for Halloween, too. Thanks!

Spooky Julie Smile
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Very helpful
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
BTW, Ken Scott has been selling a trick with colourful Elf Hats for a few years - "Elf Hat Hysteria".

They are displayed on a rod, but don't fall off. Could easily be called Santa Hats.

The trick is different, but a hat is still chosen by an audience member.

https://www.kenscottproducts.com/product......-hystera

https://vimeo.com/241999121

Just letting you know, in case this is a solution for you.

- Donald

P.S. He also made a variation with Hard Hats, at one time - "Hard Hat Hysteria".

https://www.kenscottproducts.com/product......hysteria
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2021, Julie wrote:
Without checking the sources quoted above: I do remember Supreme Magic sold a pretty good trick called POPSY PEGS. Of course, it's been "rediscovered" by other companies over the last decade or two and given new names, but it is still a very practical piece. (Maybe it's not original to Supreme...?)

Popsy Pegs (circa 1969) is Ali Bongo's improved version of Ken Chaple's Ribbon Release. Ken's original was published in The Magigram Supreme Magic Magazine Vol. 1, No. 8 (November/December 1967). So, magicians could produce it for their own use based on that published article. But Supreme retained the manufacturing rights so they were the only authorized manufacturer of Ribbon Release and Popsy Pegs.

Either way, it is a wonderful idea to adopt it to hats. Or maybe do a big version decorated as a fireplace with stockings hung. And the stocking of the "naughty" child falls off and is found to hold coal. While the ones of the "good" children are still hanging and found to have candy and toys.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Clothespin Question (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL