The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Attention Getters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
I don't juggle.
Poindexter
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin USA
57 Posts

Profile of Poindexter
Be wary of using IT on the street. Even if conditions are favorable, any change in lighting might cause it to become considerably less "I" than you'd like it to be. ;-)
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
What about a spinning card (a.k.a. hummer card)? I could just go with the wind, and since the card moves, it takes their attention away from why it does what it does.
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Hmm a really loud shriek during your routine in which you channel your magic powers gets some attention, or perhaps a megaphone or a boombox.

Tom
rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
Torches can be a good beginning or end. If you start with torches you can end with a six foot unicycle, strait jacket, cups and balls. If I end with torches then I begin with fire eating. The fire always draws the crowd, but it's easier to control. Then end with big fire. Maybe I just have an unusual fixation with fire. I should probably mention it to my psychologist.
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Fire is good. I used to balance a tray of fire on an 8-foot tall poll while playing a tune on a gazzo.
The backlash only is Local Authorities often don't like it, I have found and some insurance companies wont cover that part of your show.
Mario
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
326 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
Quote:
On 2004-06-30 20:26, prospero wrote:
I don't juggle.

I wouldn't recommend the knives then.

Craig
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.
tylerdurden
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tylerdurden
Hire a partner and stage a fight.

Everyone loves a good street fight.
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
I second MagiUlysses advice to follow Cellini's formula of sound, color, motion. Cellini's DVD on street magic would likely help.

Dwight Powell
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I just walk around my pitch making eye contact with everyone going by and talking to them, telling them what an exciting magic show is about to begin, while doing one handed fans with a brightly colored American Flag deck.

I tell them to stop "right here" pointing to a line of chalk or rope I have put down and keep telling them how good the show will be. (I think you have to be very specific in your instructions to people. You cant just say "stop")

Then when I get a few to stop, I start working them, intracting with silly one liners, and starting on a card trick which still talking to everyone going by and continue building the pitch.

Then, when I feel like I have a good enough crowd, I start the show. I tell them what they can expect(good magic, followed by Great magic), and what I expect (That they will be so entertained that they will applaud with their wallets) and on I go to the magic reminding them along the way of what we both expect.

Then, having met my end of the bargain, I invite them to meet theirs. Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Devoted
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
16 Posts

Profile of Devoted
Get a small crowd and then do a voodoo needle with a paperclip. It will usually get a women to scream or look like some kind war victim for a couple of seconds. It tend to draw a crowd then follow up with some good "clean" magic. I have had the police come by a few times but I have a partner that will usually start preforming for the officer which also draws a crowd. Be careful though this is a bit extreme, it's not against the law but be respectful if their are children or other impressionables around.

This can be effective but again gage your surronding before attemping it.

Good Luck Smile
Looked up, there it was, gone
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2004-07-05 15:01, BroDavid wrote:

(I think you have to be very specific in your instructions to people. You cant just say "stop")

I suggest saying "WATCH" as often as possible.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I LOVE white-elephant's clock idea! I'll have to try that sometime!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-06-19 17:34, prospero wrote:
If you're doing street magic, and you are by trade a close-up performer, what should you use to get attention? Something visual, I suppose. It has been suggested to me that I do either the spinner card (market--wrongly--on Penguin Magic as the "Long Distance Spinner) or an IT effect. Any ideas?

If you are a close up worker your most powerful weapon is your voice, and physical appearance.

Talking to people as they walk by is a must. Make lots of eye contact, SMILE, card flourishes, rope, and silks, attract attention.

But once you get them to look you have to sink the hook.

Never ask them anything tell them. You need to be in charge and direct their continued attention.

The best way to do this is with lines, "Watch this trick sir, I've seen it before and its really good!"

The hardest part is going out a few times and failing before it starts to come together for you. Do not take it to heart though, it happens to everyone. The good news is, that first show you do when they all stop, have a good time, and fill your hat, will be a memory you will never forget.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Prospero forget the the spinner card and reread Danny's Post

QUOTE:
"If you are a close up worker your most powerful weapons are your voice, and physical appearance".

He has just given you the keys to the safe, the question now is, can you find the key hole.

Ron
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
If you want to use a REAL attention getter, you have to use John Kennedys *flamethrower-match*.. Smile

BUT, there are some points that doesn't make it that easy to use, apart from the *windconditions* to considerate, also the hook-up most certainly is unpractical for most..
Though...there is not better and faster attentiongetter.. Smile
I wondered nobody mentioned it.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2004-06-20 18:33, Mario Morris wrote:
Dice stacking, you pull them in tight and them push them out as your crowd grows

Yep. I use my wooden cup for this very reason.
Loud. You can really rattle it around and Dice Stacking is VERY EASY but it looks impossible.

With a wooden cup, you can hear it from a mile away and everybody stops to watch.

A nice jumbo die final load and you're cookin'.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

We where talking about attention getters?
Right?

Anybody really believes, any coin routine (only visible at close range) or any long drawn out *routine*, even dice-stacking (soley visible at close range), can beat the *flametrower-match*?

Flamethrower match IS an attention getter..actually the very best one could use Smile

The second I would do street work, I would start up with it!

The troublesome preparation isn't that troublesome after all, and when finished, it normally doesn't interfere with the rest of the act, as long as one at least is wearing a shirt with long sleeves.. a jacket isn't even needed, one can have the complete set-up under ones shirt!!
Hehehe..your loss. I'll keep it for myself, not *only* for streetwork.. Smile

Mind you, the issue was ATTENTION GETTERS and that means what the words says..a FAST thing to draw attention to *YOU* in order to gather a crowd..

Of course, the one I mentioned has to be followed up..BUT note, one can do the flamethrower match a couple of times -in order to light a cigarette and each time being surprised by the huge flame popping up, and so NOT lightening the cig., turning the body to several *directions*, aiming at diff. ppl walking by..

Meaning, cut off the flame, blow on and shake the match, throw it to the ground, take a new match out of the matchbox and strike it -turning to another direction facing other bypassers- with the same huge flame as a result..this can be done 3 or 4 times..by that time, no doubt, some ppl will get closer, IF you accompany what you do with suitable patter.

Hehehe..I'm looking forward to a streetperformer using this and so gathering a crowd faster then a dice-stacker Smile Smile

I think even streetperformers can learn a tiny bit re the how to gather a crowd from non-street workers Smile

Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-10-27 11:38, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
We where talking about attention getters?
Right?

Anybody really believes, any coin routine (only visible at close range) or any long drawn out *routine*, even dice-stacking (soley visible at close range), can beat the *flametrower-match*?

I don't think anyone has contested that any one way draws better than another (dice stacking or coins vs. flamethrower match). In fact, I work with a guy who uses a fire book with great success in drawing a crowd, which is similar to what you are describing.

But dice stacking is loud and will get attention just as well for those who aren't looking.
Jim
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-10-27 12:05, Jim Wilder wrote:
But dice stacking is loud and will get attention just as well for those who aren't looking.
Jim

Dicestacking is *loud*??
On the street???
It isn't as loud as a guy shouting:

*Anybody have a match?*

and then padding his pockets for a matchbox and doing the flamethrower match..

And this EVERY time when restarting that routine..

NP..just don't use it Smile
I rather keep it for myself..

The greatest attention getter and much more natural then the 'fire book' and no 'visible' props used either, that book isn't THAT good and surprising..it is a book/possible gimmick!!.

And is a leather cup (sorry Frank, I'm sure it is a great prop) making more noise then what I described?

I doub it Smile

Dicestacking isn't at all *loud* on the street, unless one is wearing a hearingaid put on full power Smile !!!!!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Attention Getters (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL