The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Attention Getters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
O.K. Werner.
Jim
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-10-27 12:19, Jim Wilder wrote:
O.K. Werner.
Jim
Please DON'T ever agree with me, unless you really mean it.. Smile
I love a good discussion Smile
That's how I learn to alter my views ...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Lucky Bob from Boston was CLOSING HIS SHOW with a dice stack routine. His hats were as big as Gazzo's.

I'm just sayin'. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-10-27 13:01, Danny Hustle wrote:
Lucky Bob from Boston was CLOSING HIS SHOW with a dice stack routine. His hats were as big as Gazzo's.
Well, there is quite a difference re using a certain routine as an opener OR as a closer?
Isn't there?

An opener should be an appetizer to make them curious re what's following and a closer is what they should remember you for..the rest -the in between, the middle-they probably nearly have forgotten, IF a strong closer is used..

Anyway, re what I mentioned, the flamethrower match, I have to add one more comment..

IIRC, and I think I do, John Kennedy doesn't recommend to do it *outside*, that is solely because of the wind and weather, which might blow the flame right into ones face!!

So, one has to judge the conditions..

Anyway, as I know a lot of streetworkers (including the one and only Steve Bernard) tries to find a spot covered from the sides, whenever possible, meaning f.ex., the *entrance*- part of a shoppingcenter -after closingtime-, that often has a back consisting of glassdoors and sides consisting of display-windows, the risk isn't that high the wind will blow the flame right into your face, BUT,
ONE HAS TO JUDGE THE CONDITIONS
before using that item!!
Just so you are warned..
Performing it indoors can have some probs too..Smile
Watch for the firealarms right above you on the ceiling.. Smile
Actually I actuivated a such one just by lightening a cigarillo once..

That was mostly a shock for myself.. Smile

Also, restaurants might not like you blow off that stunt..have a look at the ceiling before you do it..is it high enough, away from the flame aso.

Anyway, that thingy IS -IMHO- the greatest first impression attentiongetter any streetworker can get, apart from his VOICE, which in this case also should accompany the delivery of that stunt..

Just a suggestion to you guys out there on the street.

Have a go..and, use Rowenta (German) or similar as a source, only approx. one inch in diameter..
Easy to even have it under your shirt and belt...

Those not knowing that item, get it from John Kennedy..he needs the dough... Smile

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Wow,

I'll have to tell that to Johnny Fox. He opens with the cups and balls as an attention getter.

I'm just sayin'... Smile

My point is, it has a lot more to do with the magician than it does with the tricks.

Singer not the song, etc...

I talk to people, "Hey buddy your late. Bring your date over here and we'll do the mind reading thing we worked out yesterday." I then look at the girl, "You're Sandy right?"

"No"

"Candy?"

"NO!"

I then look at the guy, "She's not the girl is she. No wonder you were ignoring me."

I then look at the girl, "Sorry Brandy."

I do this bit and people talk to me. I do not know why but they do. It is like they are programed. The guy and the girl always laugh and weather they stop and talk or keep walking and talk by the time it's done I have my first four.

YMMV

Anything can work if you can work it.

Best,

Dan-

P.S. I almost forgot. Fire is a BIG no-no these days in most venues. Every venue worth working up this way.

But, whatever works for you is the right thing to be doing.

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-10-27 20:42, Danny Hustle wrote:
Wow,

I'll have to tell that to Johnny Fox. He opens with the cups and balls as an attention getter.
Smile
He didn't do so when I saw him..it was his closer! Smile

Posted: Oct 27, 2004 9:12pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2004-10-27 20:42, Danny Hustle wrote:
P.S. I almost forgot. Fire is a BIG no-no these days in most venues. Every venue worth working up this way.

Yes, of course, during daytime when they have the mall open..also I didn't use the right word, I didn't mean the entrance of a shopping-mall, because those mostly have open to late evening, even if the shops are closed, so one can't block the entrance..

Actually I meant the entrance (after closing-time) of a *warehouse* selling furniture or the like..
I can tell, because I've seen Steve Bernard working at a such place..and have it one video, meaning one can even see the specs/the crowd around, due to the glass windows..

tedb could see it too, he got a vid once.

felixsun
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of felixsun
Pretend to sneeze and do a muscle pass.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-10-27 21:06, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
He didn't do so when I saw him..it was his closer ! Smile

Somebody must have told him you were coming. ;D

I'm just sayin'... Smile

Best,

Dan-

Posted: Oct 27, 2004 10:47pm

Quote:

On 2004-10-27 21:40, felixsun wrote:

EVERYONE READ THIS QUICK!!!!!

Felixsama, This is a GREAT, GREAT, bit. Not good, GREAT!!!!!!

Best,

Dan-

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
And is a leather cup (sorry Frank, I'm sure it is a great prop) making more noise then what I described?

Werner, re-read my post...

WOODEN dice stacking cup.

Not leather. Those are quiet as a mouse.

I doubt if the wooden cup is as loud as you screaming... "anyone got a match"

I have not seen the flamethrower but that seems like the best attention getter to me.

I use the wooden dice stacking cup because that's what I've got. Plus I don't think I'd be alowed to use a flamethrower where I work. Smile

The wooden cup is good because you can hold it up high and shake the dice like you're mixing a martini. That is loud.

Then I could light the cup on fire with the flamethrower and get the best of both worlds.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Frank, get the flamethrower..even if you probably don't use it outside..it's a great piece of *surprise*..
Couldn't find it anymore at his site:

http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/scripts/prodList.asp

Maybe he doesn't sell it any longer?
(Maybe it was too good Smile )
Simply send him an email....

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:

That's funny. I can't do one well enough but now I have some incentive.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:

Very funny, but I can see this more as an inline bit, rather than an attention-getter.

While on the subject of coins as attention-getters... I once heard of a con used by savvy car salesmen to get the jump on the other salesmen at the dealership. When a customer was approaching, the salesman who got the upper hand would toss a small handful of change on the ground behind the competitor salesman... who would -ALWAYS- stop and turn around to look. This gave the first guy an extra jump on getting to the customer first. Wondering if $0.37 worth of small change would stop a small handful of folks long enough to redirect their attention on you and your next clever line?

Hmmm??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-10-27 22:46, Danny Hustle wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-10-27 21:06, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
He didn't do so wehen I saw him..it was his closer ! Smile

Somebody must have told him you were coming. ;D

I'm just sayin'... Smile

Best,

Dan-
Hehehe..who is afraid of the big bad ..... Smile

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-10-28 13:58, Michael Baker wrote:

Very funny, but I can see this more as an inline bit, rather than an attention-getter.

Sunny Holiday often opened his show with one coin and it stops them dead. Of course Sunny could just stand there and stop them dead.

He had a great character.

I'm just sayin'... Smile

Best,

Dan-

P.S.

When Sunny did his 10 coin routine with Morgan dollars and ended with a two fisted roll down and DOUBLE 5 coin Downs star you could hear the punters gasp a quarter mile away. Sunny could stop them dead.

Firebert
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Firebert
In regards to the fire issue, I don't think the Flamethrower would really work for me (I might end up in handcuffs, for example). What do you guys think about letting off a bit (or ALOT) of flash paper to grab people's attention??
“Nor is the man enriched, in repeating the old experiments of animal sensation, nor unless through new powers and ascending pleasures, he knows himself by the actual experience of higher good, to be already on the way to the highest."

--Emmerson
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I am against fire on the street.

I know a lot of fire breathers, and other type fire guys, who can only work certain venues because fire is not allowed in a lot of places.

If you are putting and act together there is no need to start with fire, just find something else.

Once you are entrenched in your act and have spent countless hours making it good. If you have fire in it you will be hard pressed to dump it.

That is why I only do stuff that works anywhere. I find it tough when I have to change my lines to fit a venue. They become so automatic and natural it is tough not to say them.

I can't imagine what I would do if I had to cut 5 or 10 minutes of my best material from my act just because of a venue.

That is why I avoid those things all together.

YMMV.

Best,

Dan-

Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Danny, you can't compare a short interlude like the flamethrower match -as an attention getter- with a guy doing fireating or juggling with firestuff..

The flamethrower is a very short happening, the fireeaters act is not..

BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I find fire in the daylight to be ... a non event. At dusk or after, I do a lot of fire, but in the daylight it is just anticlimatic.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Firebert
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Firebert
Quote:
On 2004-10-30 12:55, Danny Hustle wrote:

I am against fire on the street... If you have fire in (your act) you will be hard pressed to dump it...

Best,

Dan-

I hadn't really considered how difficult it would be to re-arrange your act if you needed to. Good point and well taken.
“Nor is the man enriched, in repeating the old experiments of animal sensation, nor unless through new powers and ascending pleasures, he knows himself by the actual experience of higher good, to be already on the way to the highest."

--Emmerson
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-10-30 13:18, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Danny, you can't compare a short interlude like the flamethrower match -as an attention getter- with a guy doing fireating or juggling with firestuff..

The flamethrower is a very short happening, the fireeaters act is not..

Actually I can. I have a small bit in my show a five or ten second bit that I do while someone is selecting a card.

One day I did not have the prop needed to do that short interlude.

It threw off my whole act. I was still okay but it threw me off.

I have a show that is choreographed and well worked in. Within that framework there is a lot of room for improvisation and flexibility but knowing my core act cold is what allows that freedom.

I know where my laughs are and my cue points are. When those are out of sync the entire show is off.

It is still good, but not great. That bugs me.

I don't have any "throwaways" I don't believe in them. A bit is a bit. I stick in a bit because it elicits a prescribed response. Nothing is done with a, "Hey, this might be kinda neat" mentality.

Again, this is just me. "I" can compare the two and make an excellent argument for MY show.

But, as always YMMV. This is just me I am talking about. It won't work for me but it may for you.

Best,

Dan-

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Attention Getters (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL