The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Attention Getters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2004-10-27 20:42, Danny Hustle wrote:
My point is, it has a lot more to do with the magician than it does with the tricks.

SSSHHhhhhhhh!
Danny your giving away the secret.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Hey, I get attention all the time, without doing anything. I'm in Boston for a year but I've decided not to change my daily dress.

In Austin they would call the way I dress 'Traditional'. A long black duster (Chuck Norris wears a yellow one in the opening of Texas Ranger, comes below your knees), Black Stetson, black western shirt with a lot of bright embroidery, black jeans, black Lucchese cowboy boots with a point so severe I could get stuck in a corner, and a silver belt buckle the size of a saucer.

Besides that, I'm 6'4" tall, wear an out-of-style Van Dyke beard, and am rather husky so even in Austin I get a lot of glances. In Boston I get open stares. You should see people stare at me when I walk into a bank.

Note, this isn't only my presentation clothes - these are my EVERYDAY clothes. I dress this way to sit around the house (except I take off the duster).

In Boston the wind whips my duster around like a cape.

Now, pull out a set of linking rings and just hold them out and within five seconds I've got a half dozen people stopped and wondering what I'm going to do.

I'm not joking or exaggerating.

Now turn on some music, like tubular bells (great for linking rings) or Kenny G. and I have a crowd in seconds.

I performed for a couple of hours in Salem on Halloween and always had a big crowd. When I was done my wife and I were walking away, a couple of blocks from where I performed I overheard someone say "This way, I heard there's a magician over here!"
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
So 'black' is very much the theme then rikbrooks? Only kidding with you.

Chris
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Yeah, black is pretty much it, but hey, I smile a lot so I don't look so scary.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2004-06-20 16:09, Pete Biro wrote:
Linking rings. Or hand someone the end of a long rope

Excellent advice. Another option also would be to do a rope routine or ring and rope routine over and over. If you build it they will come.
Quote:
lay on the ground and roll over and over...

:lol:
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I tried one of those black leather duster-style coats like Keanu Reeves wore in The Matrix, thinking that I would look all cool and magicky.

I wound up looking like the HamBurgurlar!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Naaaah, take another look at a duster! It's the most wonderful magical accessory that you can EVER imagine! I SWEAR it was designed by a magician.

The inside vest pockets are low, around the lower ribs, incredibly easy to reach. The two side pockets are each double pockets. One is has an opening in the top and the other in the BACK.

It has something called a caplet over the shoulders that is sort of like a miniature cape. There is a strap that reaches under the arm from front to back that keeps it from flapping in the breeze and also prevents the wind from picking it up and dislodging the four sponge balls that I have stored there on each side.

There are metal snaps everywhere.

Just a little sewing expertise and you have something really special. Cut a hole in the side pocket that has the opening on the top and anything that falls through that hole falls into the pocket that has the opening on the back!
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
[quote]On 2004-10-30 14:03, Firebert wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-10-30 12:55, Danny Hustle wrote:

I am against fire on the street... If you have fire in (your act) you will be hard pressed to dump it...

Best,

Dan-

I don't think you have to dump fire. I know a performer on Clearwater Beach who his whole show is fire. He has great control of the crowd, and does is 3 times a night EVERY night. Not one accident in the last 5 years he's been there.
Dreams are a matter of choice, not chance. Live your Dreams. -DC
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
You will have to dump it if the venue doesn't allow it and most venues don't. Clearwater is an exception. You can't use it in Harvard Square, Quincey Market, Salem MA, or any of the pitches I work here in Massachusetts. I can also work the Sunset pitch in Clearwater.

That is what I mean. Because of the show I have chosen to do I can scale up or down, and have no fire. That allows me to work any pitch, anywhere. The more possibilities you allow yourself the more opportunity for work.

that is why I say, if you are not using fire now you are better off not putting it in. There are a million things that will draw just as well as fire and have none of the downsides.

Obviously if you have an established fire act, the effort to change versus the effort that person has already put in makes the benefit far less.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
BloodworthMagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of BloodworthMagic
I had to laugh, you guys are great. Hi, I am Brian Bloodworth's wife. Otherwise known as that beautiful purple haired clown that never lacks from attention. I am saying the costume is important! My husband wears a sports jacket and a tie. He sticks out in New Orleans like a sore thumb! He can't draw the crowd like Koz, but he does well. Koz he is really good at getting the attention, he will do almost anything. I could have swore one day I looked down the street and he was rounding up the crowd up with a stick. Nope just his wand, same thing only different!
The noise factor in New Orleans would be tough. The streets are noisy to begin with especially there. Bands on each end, jugglers all over the place, two or three other magicians. Not to mention all the crate slugs, oops I mean statues! I think if you attempted to play with fire they would cart you off to jail. Most cities we have worked get touchy about fire.
Brian does flourishes, doesn't always work, so he slams his wand on the table, doesn't always work so he stomps his foot and looks mad. Then a couple of us go over and act like we have never seen the show before. Couple of us meaning our son and myself. If you can get at least two to stop you will get more.
Good luck guys!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If you stand on a milk carton you will be a foot taller. If you wear a top hat you will grow another six inches. If you wear cowboy boots you will grow two more inches. Other than that, wear loud clothes, and make an overall spectacle of yourself.
Good Busking
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Brian's wife very subtley made an important point that I want to reinforce before it gets lost in the archives.

Quote:
Brian does flourishes, doesn't always work, so he slams his wand on the table, doesn't always work so he stomps his foot and looks mad. Then a couple of us go over and act like we have never seen the show before.

The point is right there. And it may be so obvious as to be overlooked. So here it is again, Do something, and if it doesn't work, do something else, on and on.

Acording to Albert Einstein, the definition of insanity, is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome.

In drawing an edge, you have a very short window of opportunity, and really need to compress your thinking. I am not saying that you need to get desperate (they will smell it) but you do need to change gears.

Don't just expect that if they aren't responding to you, that they won't respond to you. If they havent yet responded, then you simply haven't yet gotten their attention yet. So keep going, and do what you need to do.

I will do very colorful card flourishs and walk around the perimeter of my pitch talking to them, doing the flourishs and talking to everyone around. I will even step right out in front of folks, right into their path, to talk to them. You there, yes you! You look like you enjoy good clean fun. Come over here. We have been waiting for you. The magic show is ready to start. But we didn't want to start without you, because you are going to love this! And I keep doing the flousishs and talking to them. I can almost always get a couple of people to stop. And it is all fun building the tip from there.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I didn't read all three pages of posts for this thread, so if this is redundant, forgive me. You could try approaching people and engaging them in a quick conversation wherein you explain that you're a magician, and ask them if they'd like to see / be part of / join in with / experience...

1. A trick
2. Something magical
3. An illusion
4. A miracle
5. The most amazing thing they've ever seen

* Or whatever your favorite word or phrase is for what you do.

I find the direct approach is best. They have no choice but to give you their attention... even if only for a second to tell you to back off.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Well if you are somewhere where they don't allow fire acts, you can do them and the police sirens and officers dragging you off would really draw a crowd. Also if you managed to escape you would be in all the papers and people would be LOOKING for you and you'd never have to worry about being unnoticed. And to make this scenario even sweeter when you were finally caught you may have a cell mate who would have to watch you perform.
My little waste of electronc ink here is one of those " Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it" things, isn't it?
Honestly I want to improve to where I could do street magic. But I would like to have my kids perform with me, I think they would draw a crowd.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
I was recently hired to entertain at an arts market where there are a number of street performers. Some of them have a very hard time getting anyone to stop just asking people to stay and watch a great show, others start talking into their mic when still hidden from view, saying stuff like "The invisible man is now about to start his show, doing tripple summersaults and landing on his head splattering his brains out for your entertainment".

On the day that I worked there I found that it was not difficult to get people to stop, by just starting to show them any little coin or card trick, then go into the ropes, rising wands, etc. Within a few minutes people were gathered around. The voice is important. Sincerity, might be the key. Talking to them as you would a friend.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Good point Tom.

You have to appear sincere and non-threatening. So be sincere! Or if you can't be sincere, fake it!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
BloodworthMagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of BloodworthMagic
Hey thanks BroDavid...most magicians blow me off ...little do they realize I am the one seeing it from the, what is that you guys call the general public?, the punt whatever? I get an eye full and an ear full, without ever asking! Whoever said balloon artists make more than magicians have no clue with the exception of Checkers! He is the greatest! Are flat full of it. My husband makes more than me on most days. With the execption of Savannah, and one day out of school day thing.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Skipping back a few steps in the thread...

Fire in Chicago, even on the street, is a great way to get a visit from a cop and a Fire Marshall. The city, which licenses street performers for a very nominal fee, is VERY picky about fire in general, even on the street. Insurance proof is almost always required these days and they will shut you down if you don't have it.

Most insurers will not insure fire workers. Most often, in my experience, you have to post an accident bond with the city, usually a minimum of $100,000 (no joke) and have at least two people on hand with fire extinguishers in hand while you are performing.

However, check with your local authorities on the use of fire in public performances as I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, even though Clarence Darrow is my first cousin, 5 times removed (no joke).

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
John Paul Stevens is my grand uncle.

No joke either.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Alexander Gram Polinsky was my Great Great Grandfather.

kOnO
For those of you that don’t know. Alexander Gram Polinsky was the 1st telephone pole.
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Attention Getters (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.54 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL