The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » If You Had $3,000 To Invest Into Your Business (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
The title of the thread is the question. Today, if you had or were given $3,000 to invest into your business what would you spend it On? How would you use it? What would you hope to accomplish with this? Why?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Mindpro -

I'd spend it this way:

1. Show Clothes (new suit or tuxedo) - I would like to refresh my look (maybe starting to not pass the "DNA test"*)
2. AudioApe - I'd like a new audio management tool (my current PA system is fine)
3. LED lights - probably without a stand, position on the floor for mood lighting my backdrop at certain shows
4. Mago - I'd like a new CRM tool
5. Photo shoot - my promotional photos are about 5 years old (getting outdated)
6. Stamps - So I can do some direct mail

So, I'd spend some on the impact of my show, and some on marketing.

I have a wish list of new tricks and illusions, of course, but I think the other elements will make a bigger impact first.

- Donald

P.S. * I read an article a few years ago that talked about about performers themself this question: "Do my props / clothes / PA system / backdrop / personal cleanliness / etc. pass the DNA test?" In this case, DNA stands for "Dirty 'N Awful".
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I would direct the entire amount to marketing. instead of trying to decide for myself the direction to take, I would hire the best marketing manager or company I could find at that price.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would send a PM to Mindpro to find out exactly how much coaching I could get for $3,000.

Then I would parlay the extra money made from that for more coaching!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
The answer to this has changed many times throughout the years, and continues to change. At this point in my career I’m tempted to say I’d invest the 3K in the stock market!

Years ago, I had a mentor that would constantly encourage me to invest in marketing and forget about the tricks. It was excellent advice, and its what I needed to hear at the time. Its so easy to get wrapped up in the tricks because that’s where the fun is. Marketing is work! My hard work throughout the years has brought success and I have just about all the work I could ask for. No, I don’t make Copperfield money, and never will, but I’m paying the bills and have a retirement account. And most importantly I am doing what I enjoy.

So, to answer your question, I’d invest the 3K in some cool tricks! Not because it’s the smartest thing to do, or because it would bring me the best return on my investment, but because its fun!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
I would send a PM to Mindpro to find out exactly how much coaching I could get for $3,000.

Then I would parlay the extra money made from that for more coaching!

Yes! Now there's a sound investment plan and a very wise man.

Thanks guys for sharing as it is always interesting to see different ideas and perspectives on how one could best use and apply an injection like this and to which aspects of their business.
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Quote:
I would send a PM to Mindpro to find out exactly how much coaching I could get for $3,000.!

Have you experienced his coaching?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Have you experienced a joke?

Prior to the internet and everyone being the world's foremost authority that was a light hearted comment and not intended to be serious.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Asking for coaching from Mindpro was a joke?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3514 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2021, Keith Raygor wrote:
Asking for coaching from Mindpro was a joke?

I believe the joke would be if Danny had that extra 3k, to ask Mindpro for coaching, for others though, I believe it would probably be a sound investment.
Not sure if Danny does coaching, but that too would be a good investment.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In reality Keith knows full well what was happening. Light hearted banter that he just want to troll. Cool if that is the goal well played.

As for coaching from mindpro yea it is well worth the time effort and money. He has programs, he has materials, a wealth of real world experience in many many more markets than I know of personally. His students are testimony enough.

As for coaching from me that is a poor investment. I do not have the focus, patience or discipline to help others. I would be a poor teacher to say the least. I am great for sharing information and advice, but paying me would be silly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3514 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Though I am happy to be an amateur hobbiest, I do enjoy learning and in these threads of tricky business, there has been much valuable information shared by both you Danny and also Mindpro. Thank you.
Grace Olivia
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Grace Olivia
I will use all of these funds to optimize the website and issue shopping subsidies to encourage customers to become repeat customers.
Logimar
View Profile
New user
USA
3 Posts

Profile of Logimar
Oh, those dreams... Every time I think that if I had a lot of money, I would definitely start one more business, but once I have it, I always think about how to invest it without losing a penny, and the longer I think, the harder it is to invest it somewhere.
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
I'm a little disappointed that this post did not have more traction.

The question is a very good one. One that should make you reflect on where you want to take your business.

Interestingly, there is no one correct answer for this question. A great deal would depend on where you are in your magic and your business. My take on it it would be the following:
1-3 years in magic: I would probably purchase more tricks, books, or lectures. My magic education would still be in progress
3-5 years: I would start to realize the mere tricks are not what makes you good. It's time to invest in a director or someone who will help you create a better show.
5-8 years: Time to work on business. Hire a business coach.
8-10 Years: At this point it could be more business coaching...maybe increase your marketing. Or maybe you need an expensive light or sound system to upgrade.

In the beginning of your career $3,000 sounds like a lot. Much later in your Career $3,000 seems like just another expense.
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yea, I too am surprised that this thread didn't have more participation and ideas. I appreciate those that offered their insights, troll as the exception, but as I've stated in other threads, especially with the pandemic and pivoting that was needed for many, that this forum wasn't better utilized and active during this time.

I agree with your breakdown and assessment of the perception and timeline you have offered. When I started the thread I had hoped it would ignite discussion and then lead to more of what you stated in your last sentence as I too think investing more in your business as you progress and be and remain a continual fixed expense or considered part of your entertainment business operations. Seeing how business owners shift their preferences and priorities as their business progresses and evolves is always very interesting.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The only part of this that wasn't a surprise to me was me making a joke of it, and the trolling.

I am SHOCKED this did not spur more conversation as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2021, Keith Raygor wrote:
Quote:
I would send a PM to Mindpro to find out exactly how much coaching I could get for $3,000.!

Have you experienced his coaching?

Yes! And it is paying off.

And also I retract this as a joke. If you had extra money to put into your business spend it on mindpro.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
750 Posts

Profile of Fedora
You bought his couching danny?
I'm surprised, I figured You're already well established in the
market You're in, good to hear it's working out though.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No matter how established you are a fresh set of educated eyes with a fresh look can help. I’m not necessarily in the same market either.

I have said it many times, abs said it to him just yesterday, I’m always the guy behind the microphone. In not the business guy. His experience is vast in both. I’ve always avoided the business unless I had to. No level of on stage really helps. I well past the point of needing to do it.

And it pays off. Mindpro is fond of saying “you don’t know what you don’t know”. I at least see what I don’t know. Fortunately he Does know.

One flaw in his teachings though. It is up to you to implement!!!! If only he had a way I could just laze around fishing it would be perfect! Till then I’m stuck with only great results. Go figure. I’ll try to muddle through.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » If You Had $3,000 To Invest Into Your Business (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL