The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » WANTED: Database of Magic Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
For those of you who do not know me, I am Gary Salisbury of San Diego, California. I am a member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians, Ring 76 where I serve as a Member at Large on the Board of Directors and also serve as the club's librarian. I have been working on increasing the size of the club's library and it is now reaching epic proportions. I have accumulated over 1,000 magic books, over 2,000 magic videos, over 3,000 magic magazines, and numerous other forms of media such as audio tapes, lecture notes, etc. That, to wit, is where my question comes from.

I have had numerous members ask, "Where can I find information on so-and-so?" "Is it available in a book, video, or magazine?" I need a database that has every magic book and video produced with searchable effects. Is there such a thing? I would have thought that "Ask Alexander" might be the solution but am unsure. If I go to my local public library, I can search for titles & authors on various types of media (books, videos, tapes, etc.) but they do not go down to the detail I would like to see here.

I did not want to have to build a relational database and categorize every single trick in the book but was hoping something would have already been built. Any ideas?

Thanks for your consideration.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Well, for written stuff you can use: https://www.conjuringarchive.com/

Videos though? not sure
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
As dman noted, Conjuring Archive has tons of stuff from books.

I've been building an Airtable Database for tracking my own personal collection (I keep promising to release it as a template for others, but I need to write up instructions on how to use it). But happy to share that with you if you want to create your own without having to do the tech stuff (Airtable lets you build relational databases with the ease of a spreadsheet). Just hit me up via PM if you want me to share it with you -- though, as noted, I haven't written up any documentation for it yet, so you're on your own until you do.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
We used to use the old hardcopy of the Tannen's Catalog. What about Ask Alexander? I haven't looked at Tannen's site lately. Maybe I will. Also, check Jeff McBride's Magic and Mystery School site.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Hi Gary, did you figure out or find what you were looking for? This topic came up recently on the Latest and Greatest forum on the EDceipt by Craig Petty thread. The need for an ultimate database to be able to reference effects for crediting is also desired by so many. No one has been able to come up with a single source.

There is this software program available but as you were hoping to avoid, each effect or media would have to be entered in manually.
http://www.edhassmagic.com/index.php
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » WANTED: Database of Magic Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL