The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Marked Decks- Your Favorite Implementations (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
I've got a marked deck on the way, trying to think of unique ways to implement it aside from cold reading. In what ways have you found success?
Daniel Le Bateleur
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Daniel Le Bateleur
It can be used in a lot of different situations. The important thing is to not let the audience think that the cards could be marked. A good book on the subject is Hidden in Plain Sight by Kirk Charles with Boris Wild.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MdYcuycMWEQ

I think this is pretty good.
eddini
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of eddini
Love "Spectator as the mind read" ala Ted Lesley.

Ed, [Eddini]
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2021, Daniel Le Bateleur wrote:
A good book on the subject is Hidden in Plain Sight by Kirk Charles with Boris Wild.

This is probably one of the best books on the subject. It's an expanded version (2005) of his earlier book Marked For Life (2002).

Other good books include Pete McCabe's PM Card Mark System (2010), Boris Wild's Transparency (2012), and the older classic Ted Lesley's Working Performer's Marked Deck Manual (1983).
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I am currently working with the Deland Nifty Deck which was released as a Centennial edition. With this deck, you can determine the card identity, next card identity, number of cards above the card, number of cards left in the deck, and previous card. The markings are easy to see and read with a bit of practice and the markings are not visible to spectators due to the clever design. Lots of fun to play around with and capable of doing a huge number of effects.

They also released a Centennial Deland Daisy Deck which has a different color back and design but actually the same marking method and maybe a bit easier to see the markings. I prefer the Nifty Deck because I prefer a blue back deck.

I am aware that many prefer the newer marked decks and that is fine but I enjoy working with Deland creations so the Nifty Deck fits the bill.

And oh, concerning my favorite implementations, I do not really have one. I do not perform with a marked deck nowadays. I just enjoy learning the markings and working with them for fun. I gave up performing with a deck of cards a very long time ago. Now I prefer Tenyo, gimmicked coins, and clever gadgets.
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
Spec shuffles and tables deck. You write a prediction and table it beside the deck. Spec cuts anywhere. They mark the cut by placing the balance of the cards on top, crosswise. You reiterate that you wrote a prediction, they shuffled the cards, they cut the cards. They lift the top part of the deck up and turn over the card they cut to. They open the prediction. It matches.

You can also present this as the spec reading your mind.

I like this a lot, but it might be too simple for some folks. What do you think?
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
792 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2021, charlie_d wrote:
Spec shuffles and tables deck. You write a prediction and table it beside the deck. Spec cuts anywhere. They mark the cut by placing the balance of the cards on top, crosswise. You reiterate that you wrote a prediction, they shuffled the cards, they cut the cards. They lift the top part of the deck up and turn over the card they cut to. They open the prediction. It matches.

You can also present this as the spec reading your mind.

I like this a lot, but it might be too simple for some folks. What do you think?

This is excellent and I suggestbyou check Roberto Giobbi’s touches on the Criss cross force if you don’t know them yet; a true killer
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I would have to agree here as well.. best books would be - Hidden in Plain Sight by Kirk Charles and Marked For Life.
Both of these are 2 of my favorites.. Also if you have a Ultimate Marked Deck.. there is a companion book called The Ultimate Marked deck Companion Book
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2022, Koolmagic114 wrote:
Also if you have a Ultimate Marked Deck.. there is a companion book called The Ultimate Marked deck Companion Book

I recommend this book as well. It's around 150 pages and has a lot of content, and the routines have great presentational ideas.

Only the first part deals with the Ultimate Marked Deck. It's well worth picking up this book if you're interested in some good tricks with marked decks, even if you don't own the Ultimate Marked Deck.
DragonLore
View Profile
New user
Toronto
78 Posts

Profile of DragonLore
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2021, will lane wrote:
I've got a marked deck on the way, trying to think of unique ways to implement it aside from cold reading. In what ways have you found success?

I combine it with a ID to achieve a Do as I Do matching effect where a freely selected card by a spectator, reversed in the red deck matches my reversed card in my blue deck.
Mind Circus
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
127 Posts

Profile of Mind Circus
I only would use a marked deck for mentalism routines where the cards are not the main focus.
A simple one is the routine explained with the psypher pad. Spectators writes a name on a post-it note. Card is located by counting down each letter of the name. Performer reveals the card and then the name.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
We use a marked deck in conjunction with a very clean presentation of the HAND of CLEOPATRA close-up apparatus.

Julie
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Jan Forster has a great trick called Do You Believe In Chance?
It is on his Penguin Live Lecture download (not sure if anywhere else).

The effect is -
The performer gives a prediction to a spectator to look after.
6 playing cards are chosen at random.
They are mixed face down by a spectator.
Each is then randomly assigned a number 1-6 by a spectator.
Dice are used to randomly select one of the cards.
The card matches the prediction.

It is a multi-layered method. Jan's version on the video is designed for maximum impact in a stage environment with an audience. But like most tricks it could be adapted to suit other circumstances.
davidn
View Profile
New user
Los Gatos, CA Gatos
9 Posts

Profile of davidn
Give the deck to the spectator and say that he should play the part of the magician. Have the spectator shuffle and cut the cards and then fan the cards. Have the spectator say to you, “Pick a card. any card. And don’t show it to me”. You pick out a card and put it back in the deck. Ask the spectator to shuffle the deck so that the chosen card is well hidden. Tell the spectator that he will have the magic power to pull the chosen card out of the deck. Have the spectator take what he thinks is the card you choose and put it face down on the table. (You read the marked card). Have the spectator ask you, “What is your card?” You say what the card is and it is turned over by the spectator. The spectator using his hidden magic powers was successful in knowing what the chosen card was.
Often wrong but never in doubt!
mlj35
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of mlj35
Davidn: How about instead of the spectator having you select a card, you just think of a card and write it down with your Super Sharpie (or the like)...
davidn
View Profile
New user
Los Gatos, CA Gatos
9 Posts

Profile of davidn
Mlj35: sure. That could be done. But I like the part that the spectator becomes the magician. It’s the spectator that does the magic.
Often wrong but never in doubt!
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On May 18, 2022, davidn wrote:
Give the deck to the spectator and say that he should play the part of the magician. Have the spectator shuffle and cut the cards and then fan the cards. Have the spectator say to you, “Pick a card. any card. And don’t show it to me”. You pick out a card and put it back in the deck. Ask the spectator to shuffle the deck so that the chosen card is well hidden. Tell the spectator that he will have the magic power to pull the chosen card out of the deck. Have the spectator take what he thinks is the card you choose and put it face down on the table. (You read the marked card). Have the spectator ask you, “What is your card?” You say what the card is and it is turned over by the spectator. The spectator using his hidden magic powers was successful in knowing what the chosen card was.

This is basically Ted Lesley's "Spectator as Mind Reader", and it is a simple and yet effective trick to do with a marked deck.

Here's an example performance along these lines:

There's also a great app created by Thom Parkin called "Instant Card Magician" you can use with this, and it adds a very fun presentational touch, the premise being that the app turns a spectator into an "instant magician" who is able to successfully do a card trick. I've had a lot of fun with it (see my review) and recommend it.

Here's the official website: https://instantcardmagician.com/
salmononius2
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of salmononius2
Boris Wild's material is great. I had the opportunity to attend one of his lectures, and it seemed like all he was doing was 'just' really strong, visual magic, and when he went over the explanations, he showed how he used a marked deck for everything. Obviously it wasn't just "pick a card, now I magically know what it is", he used the marks to complement the trick, not as the trick itself. I highly recommend his work.
Simloki
View Profile
New user
Midwest USA
10 Posts

Profile of Simloki
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2021, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MdYcuycMWEQ

I think this is pretty good.

Pretty much the first (and often only) m**ked deck trick I go to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Marked Decks- Your Favorite Implementations (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL