The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Wand.. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2972 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I never thought of this but we were changing window blinds in one of our rooms. The rod that is used to open and close the blinds was a perfect size (diameter) for close up. It was clear and nice looking as blind rods go. I have, in the past, lost many expensive wands over the years. I needed to cut it a little length wise but I would wave thrown it out otherwise. Just an fyi
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have never once used a magic wand. I confess it has severely hampered my ability to do The Vernon Wand Spin.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1244 Posts

Profile of imgic
In David Williamson's lecture on Penguin, he brings out a wand, and it's the wooden dowel from a hanger that's suppose to hold the pants in place. How ingenious, where ever you've got a hotel room, you've got a source for wands...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well to be fair you don't have to mind stealing them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9211 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have never liked using a standard wand as a "cause of magic," but often suing something held in hand for that purpose,
and to mask palming and create false expectation and ...

So, "wand" can be concept applied to many objects with little reason to search for the right stick.

knives, large ring, colorful stone, etc. can all be used as wands.

For me, using the standard stick (even in C&B) has a problem if you don't use it in all effects. If it is magic why not use it all of the time?

Using a stick as a prop is OK. For example "ring on wand" effects do not attribute any magic to the stick so use your curtain pull, chop stick or sword.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2972 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I have ALWAYS used wands in my restaurant work. I've found that it`s a fantastic tool to get my audience involved by letting THEM hold the wand and make the magic happen. I've posted in the past that they will tap their husband or wife and say "Will this make him/her disappear?" or younger or grow hair etc.

It really adds to some comedic moments. I've had children get so excited when I would give them a inexpensive plastic star wand I purchased online and watch their smiling faces tap my hand to make a sponge ball or coin appear and disappear.

Served me very well over the years.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think Vernon and Don Alan have both shown just how useful a tool it can be.

It simply does not fit my style. I CERTAINLY do not think this is a "universal truth" in the least.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I have always found that for me, a magic wand is a burden to use because you have to retrieve it when needed and I personally do not like that. I find it to be a personal distraction and a break in the flow of whatever I am doing.

Of course, a wand has its purpose and can be an excellent apparatus in a routine.

For example, a wand can be an excellent way to ditch things! Getting it can allow you to leave something behind wherever your wand was. A pocket, beneath the table, or wherever you like it to be sitting.

That being said, I have been working on developing what I hope will be a good cups and balls routine (or at least better than what I do now) and it is my opinion that a wand is required in a routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Wand.. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL