The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Magnetic Card Manifesto (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
374 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Guys,

This isn't an advertisement. I'm merely telling a tale and conducting a survey.

I recently discovered that I can split cards. Over the past month or so, I've split an unhealthy amount of cards. Thanks to Eoin O'Hare's wonderful Corner Splitter and Aligner jigs, I have, surprisingly, become quite proficient. To put the split cards to good use, I bought a Bob Farmer-recommended sticker-making machine, a brayer, polycarbonate pressing plates, clamps and a lighted, magnifying headset.

When I want "normal" gaffed cards (double-faced, double-backed, modified face or back), I simply buy them. I feel no desire to make them. I have something else in mind for my growing stack of split cards.

For over a year, I've been ferociously fiddling with magnets. Considering that my favorite magician was Del Ray, I'm baffled why I haven't experimented with magnets sooner.

When you search online for "magnetic card," most of the time, the results erroneously lead you to a steel shim card. A steel shim card isn't a magnetic card. It can merely attract a magnet.

In most cases, including the laughable "Single-Edge Magnetic Card," the "card" consists of a thin sheet of steel shim glued between two cards. The dealers assure you that no one can tell the difference in the thickness of the card. Depending on the source, the card costs $6.00 - $11.00.

You'll find a few sources for a steel shim card made by splitting one card, inserting the shim between the three layers and re-gluing and pressing the card. The card costs $9.00. It's a powerful, invisible tool, but it only attracts magnets.

A true magnetic card attracts not only magnets, but steel shim as well. It is undeniably twice as useful as a steel shim card. In most cases, the "card" consists of a thin disc magnet glued between two cards. The dealers assure you that no one can tell the difference in the thickness of the card. The card costs from $6.00 - $11.00.

I found one source for a "recessed" magnetic card created from one card. The photo of the card depicts a rather thick disc magnet sitting on the back of a card. If that's what a "recessed" magnetic card looks like, it's not worth $9.00.

I have acquired a stash of neodymium disc magnets that are 10mm (about 3/8") in diameter and 0.4mm (1/64") thick. I've successfully inserted them into single cards. I use court cards for additional camouflage. The resultant pasteboard powerhouses look, and handle like, normal cards.

For Matrix, I only use quarters because they are more common than half dollars. Imagine a Matrix routine, using magnetic cards and two magnetic or steel shim quarters. When it's time to reveal that the quarter has vanished, forget the Pick-Up move. Grab the card by its extreme corner and spin it in the air. Catch it and cleanly display both of its sides. Either retain the quarter in finger palm or re-stick the quarter to the face of the card and toss the card face down onto the table.

I inserted two magnets in diagonal corners of each of the four Jacks. The Jacks stick together in perfect alignment, allowing them to be displayed, at a reasonable distance, as a single card. This arrangement can be exploited for productions, color changes, Cards Across, Collectors and sandwich effects.

Two magnets glued inside the card case allow a double-magnet card or cards to adhere to the bottom of the case in perfect alignment. This allows you to sneakily load or steal cards. Great for Card to Case.

There are applications for Rising Cards, Haunted Deck and various mental effects.

I'm enjoying making, using and developing applications for these gaffs. I tell you all of this to run an idea up ye olde flagpole. Am I the only person who gives a rat's ass about magnetic cards? Is there a market for them? Do you suppose anyone would buy them if I chose to sell them for something around $12-$15 per card?

I'm happy to keep them to myself. But they open up so many mind-blowing possibilities that I had to share my enthusiasm with you. Please chime in if you're interested in magnetic cards or share your thoughts about the potential market.

I have photos of the gaffs, but there's nothing to see. If you'd like to see them anyway, send a text to me at 415) 996-4570 and I'll send the photos to you.

I appreciate your feedback.

Tom Frame
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1281 Posts

Profile of danfreed
They might have a good use in the Animated Card In Balloon of Death, as opposed to what is usually used, which is fine, but it might be usefull, especcially in the corner. The cards I get become wrinkly as they are rolled up and need to be flattened out sometimes, and aren't quite strong enough on the corners.
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
711 Posts

Profile of Bill08
I've heard of magnet cards refered to as "chop cards" as opposed to "shim cards" which only have the metal shim inside. Magnet technology is getting thinner and stronger so its definitely an interesting time for development of this potential. Playing cards are around 0.3mm so the magnet would have to be thinner than this to lie flat within, without seeing (or feeling) any bump or inclination
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5910 Posts

Profile of videoman
I remember Magneato cards from Card-Shark. They were expensive and I believe are no longer made. I never owned any but heard they were well made.

If made correctly, shim cards can look and handle normally and also be used to perform a Matrix as you described using mag coins.

Personally, I’d be more interested in the magnets alone if you sell or have a source for those.
Satire
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Satire
I'd be interested—what's your production timeline look like?
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
374 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow response. Life intrudes.

Here are photos of the front and back of the "Magneticard." The magnet is in the center.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yn1u6s5gl1kmtp/magcard.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywopdrhg48c1wyk/magcard2.JPG?dl=0

Each "Magneticard" card will sell for $9.00.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Loyal user
At my age I should have more than a mere
213 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
As I mentioned a while ago in another thread about the ProMystic Flux and Sixth Sense 3.0 devices, I have brainstormed that there might be a potential for using flexible flat-sheet magnets such as are commonly stuck to refrigerators etc. with such electronic sensing devices in some conventional magic effects. The biggest stumbling block has been suggested to be too-weak field strength. I own a Flux device and can attest that an approximately 1.5 mm x 12 mm neodymium disc magnet works sufficiently well for Which Hand effects at a distance of ca. 3-4 inches thru a closed fist. Do you believe that your Magneticards might have an application in any sort of magic effect involving a device such as the Flux unit--perhaps with such cards placed in an array on a tabletop or sorted into small envelopes? Or would the field strength simply be too weak?
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
374 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Deckstacker,

The thicker the magnet, the greater the attractive force. My magnets are are thin as possible to do their job undetected. You'd have to stack a hell of a lot of them for your suggested application.

But the Magneticard does have interesting applications for mentalism effects.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Loyal user
At my age I should have more than a mere
213 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
I just tested my Flux device with a very thin, flexible flat-sheet refrigerator magnet, and it can detect it from about a 1-inch distance thru an envelope. I agree that if your cards' magnets are significantly weaker than that, they would be useless for one of the mentalism effects that I have been thinking of. Pity. It might've been awesome.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
Reefster
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Reefster
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2021, tomcards wrote:
Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow response. Life intrudes.

Here are photos of the front and back of the "Magneticard." The magnet is in the center.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yn1u6s5gl1kmtp/magcard.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywopdrhg48c1wyk/magcard2.JPG?dl=0

Each "Magneticard" card will sell for $9.00.

Hello Tom,

how thick are the megentic card that you made? are they single card thickness or double card thickness? do use glue or dmt to mount them

thanks!
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
374 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Reefster,

It's a single card. I use adhesive.

Tom
Reefster
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Reefster
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2021, tomcards wrote:
Reefster,

It's a single card. I use adhesive.

Tom

Thanks tom,

are 10 magnetic cards stacked the same thickness as 10 regular cards, just trying to guage

best
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
374 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Reefster,

Ten stacked Magneticards are a bit thicker than 10 regular cards, due to the magnet in each card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Magnetic Card Manifesto (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL