The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » If Not "Tricks"... Then What? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
312 Posts

Profile of will lane
Conjuring? Magicks? Effect? "This next one"? Spells? Illusions? Experiment? "Something cool with a deck of cards"? Mini Miracles? Magical Arts? Twisting Reality?

I've been thinking a lot about magic theory lately. In my mind, this is not necessarily the "how" of magic, but everything else; who, what, when, where, why... One of the things I'm thinking about is something Alex Pandrea said; calling magic tricks "Tricks", and executing them as a "trick", and how that might dilute the effect.

To laypeople, what do you call this illusion of magic that we all practice? And why? Maybe you do call them "tricks" to set up an expectation then smash through those expectations? Maybe you call it conjuring or spellcasting to blur the line between what you are doing and actual physics-breaking wizardry? Maybe you don't call it anything at all? Maybe you have a lengthy anecdote about how you can't produce real miracles but you want to produce the illusion of real miracles in the audience's mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5WC6z27eE
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9211 Posts

Profile of funsway
I'll watch your presentation before commenting in depth as I have written dozens on articles on this theme,
but as for a short thought ...

“a magician does things that many in the audience cannot or will not do – place their ego at risk and actually DO something rather than live vicariously. Appreciate that even those forever trapped in their personal cloud of secrets can take away something of value from your performance. It may not be ‘must be magic,’ but can challenge some notion of ‘impossible’ in their mundane life.”
Satchel of Secrets
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3577 Posts

Profile of Julie
Smile, genuinely keep your sense of humor and don't perform "tricks"...perform MIRACLES. Smile

It's all in YOUR attitude. "Here's something most people have never seen..."

Julie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » If Not "Tricks"... Then What? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL