The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Showmanship and Magic or Maximum Entertainment (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
527 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Hi All. I know both of these books are highly regarded. I have never performed in public, just the usual family and coworkers. Not performing has kept me from developing a key ingredient to good magic. But unfortunately my time is limited, so I was hoping I could draw on the Café's experienced conjurers to hear what their preference is. I will eventually read both but for now I would like to go with the people's choice.

Thanks for your input.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6539 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
It's a hard choice. Both are great books. You can get an inexpensive copy pf Magic & Showmanship via Amazon... ten dollars if you just wanted as a kindle book. Anyway, I personally would say get both, but if you're tight for cash then get Magic & Showmanhip.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
527 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks Greg. I actually already have both. My question is which I should read first as I have very little free time.

Cheers,
Teddy
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2410 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Read the first chapter of each... Whichever one draws you in to keep reading it, you will know which to read first.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
527 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Wravyn, what a great friggin' idea! Thanks. Even I have enough time to read two chapters!

Cheers,
Teddy
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
527 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
What a shocker. I am reading Chapter 1 of Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms and am blown away at his trivializing "mere tricks." Nelms divides magic into two categories, illusions and tricks. According to Nelms illusions have "meaning" which provides a much more satisfying experience to spectators. In viewing an illusion the spectators have increased interest because the illusion possesses meaning. The illusion has meaning because of the amount of interest created by the performer. Further, the meaning is based in the performer proposing to display a remarkable power, and then performing it. The interest thus generated is "far removed from that of one watching a mere trick."

Nelms states "no matter how astonishing a trick may be, it suffers from one major fault - it has no point." He explains that even the "celebrated classics of conjuring have no point." When the audience realizes the trick has no meaning "they yawn."

Since my interest is in card tricks I am astonished that so many people on the Café recommend this book. Clearly, a cardician would be considered low man on the totem pole of conjuring by Nelms. I will finish Chap 1 but will probably not continue and switch to Maximum Entertainment, which I hope has a more generous outlook toward tricks. Nelms's view of tricks makes me feel he has little credibility in instructing us tricksters on how to perform.

Cheers,
Teddy
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
I find Maximum Entertainment to be great practical advice for TODAY. And it is an easy read if you are limited on time. I think both books you will use as references that you go back to again and again.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2410 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Now I am going to need to reread the first chapter Smile
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
603 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Maximum entertainment is more practical and covers all sections of magic performance. It really helped me. I read it three times. I recommend this than Magic and Showmanship
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1975 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
If you get Maximun Entertainment,be sure to get the second edition.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
527 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks Ringmaster, too late. What will I miss?

Cheers,
Teddy
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2320 Posts

Profile of ddyment
TeddyBoy asked:
Quote:
Thanks Ringmaster, too late. What will I miss?

Many sections of the first edition were substantially revised for the 2.0 version, and there are 80 additional pages.
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
527 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks for letting me know what I will miss. I may look into an ebook for the second edition. Any insight as to what he added in the second edition?

Cheers,
Teddy
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1975 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Vol. II is essentualy a whole new book.
The qualty and inttelegence of these books makes hungery for a performance book. You know we can't have to manny mind reading books.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2410 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
TeddyBoy, just following up. How are you enjoying the book you are reading?
Fedora
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Fedora
You may want to consider 'showmanship for magicians' by dariel fitzkee.

I found it quite good, its also fairly cheap.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
527 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2021, Wravyn wrote:
TeddyBoy, just following up. How are you enjoying the book you are reading?

Hi Wravyn. Frankly, I find Maximum Entertainment an interesting, instructive and smooth read. Weber is to the point and in plain English. I recommend it.

Cheers,
Teddy
MacIrish
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MacIrish
TeddyBoy,

Since you already purchased Magic and Showmanship, do take a look at his mind reading routine using a two person code during card selections..

I’ve been using that routine for over 40 years and it plays so well !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Showmanship and Magic or Maximum Entertainment (6 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL