The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Pendulum In Bottle (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
I desire to perform this routine and would appreciate any information about the best set up, if there are any plans diagrams available I would purchase. I realize this is an old effect but I have never even thought of using it, so I am in the dark about it.
Thanks in advance.
I don't understand all I know about this
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
The classic source text is "Behind the scenes with the mediums", by David P Abbott. It's in the public domain and you can get it at archive.org. See also "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms for a performance routine; the last phase uses an extra gimmick.

I've used a bottle pendulum and it works very well, even on a large, heavy table.

Barry
ManxBull
View Profile
Regular user
Isle of Man
116 Posts

Profile of ManxBull
Terry Tyson teaches exactly how to make and use them in Jamie Daws' 'Tackling Terrifying Taboos 3' video download.

Over 7 hours of video, packed full of bizarre stuff, performance, prop building, full routines, etc.

https://www.alakazam.co.uk/tackling-terr......19-.html
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
261 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2021, ManxBull wrote:
Terry Tyson teaches exactly how to make and use them in Jamie Daws' 'Tackling Terrifying Taboos 3' video download.

Over 7 hours of video, packed full of bizarre stuff, performance, prop building, full routines, etc.

https://www.alakazam.co.uk/tackling-

terrifying-taboos-3-year-of-the-clown-with-jamie-daws-and-terry-tyson-9th-and-10th-october-2019-.html

Had to order this even though I don't do seances...sounds like lots of options and alternate use ideas, pieces, props, etc!
Awaiting download.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
KyleW
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of KyleW
I think it's safe to say anything by Terry Tyson is worth taking on board.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
While this is a nice addition, what is the purpose of having the pendulum in a bottle other than the novelty? Is it to prove to the spectator anything or just a novelty? Does it add to the performance? I am not familiar with the bottle concept so I am curious as to it's intent and I may be reading it wrong.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
You'll find quite a few hits in Askalexander.org

I don't know whether they show up in the free account, though.

But I would say a subscription is worth the money ( I have the Bronze membership)

https://conjuringarts.org/askalexander/

It's a treasure trove.

Regards, Luc
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
And you get the great Gibeciere journal twice a year
https://store.conjuringarts.org/product/......bership/
CHRousseau
View Profile
Regular user
Registered Lurker from Lakewood WA
120 Posts

Profile of CHRousseau
H P Lovecraft's 1200 word short story "The Terrible Old Man" can be widely found in the public domain online. Its main character has a collection of bottles with pendulums with which he communicates presumably with dead members of his pirate crew. A good entree to showing one or more of these to your spectators and context for the device which predated the Ouija by generations in American occult-lore.

Moderators: please note my post should have had an apostrophe and double quotes above but the preview showed them as gibberish characters so I removed them. This is not the first time the default font here has been unwilling to show normal punctuation symbols but inserted other font characters. I also observe it in other posts by others who are obviously competent typists. It does not appear regularly and does seem to be browser independent. (Grammar Host note: corrected. However, leaving the comment so a Mod can see it)
Arthur C Clarke was mistaken--Magic has always been the most advanced form of technology.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2021, CHRousseau wrote:
H P Lovecraft s 1200 word short story The Terrible Old Man can be widely found in the public domain online. Its main character has a collection of bottles with pendulums with which he communicates presumably with dead members of his pirate crew. A good entree to showing one or more of these to your spectators and context for the device which predated the Ouija by generations in American occult-lore.

I love this! Great input and suggestion. Thank you.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
I got to see Terry Tyson perform 2 weeks ago. He did a red light seance and used pendulums in bottles. I think it’s safe to say, based on what I saw, he’s the foremost authority on them at the moment.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
The pendulum being hands off and can be done with several people at the same time makes it even more magical.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
I have been in touch with Terry and he has a booklewt coming out soon on this verey subject.
I don't understand all I know about this
Satire
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Satire
This is super interesting—really tempted just to hang something in a bottle and see what happens, based on that video above.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Pendulum work over the radio is extremely fun!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Satire
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Satire
Over the radio? How do you mean?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Over the last 20 years or so I've sent quite a few pendulums to various radio stations and podcasters. Then when I do a call in interview we do some pendulum work for all the listeners.. It's a blast for all involved. Smile
Satire
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Satire
That's awesome! I'm impressed you can be so hands-off about it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Pendulum In Bottle (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL