The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Monte in 70's NYC (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Just remembering watching monte played in Times Square in the 70's. There were A) the dealer who worked on a garbage can with a cutoff carboard box on top B) the "gate" made up of 2 guys who stood behind the player to keep him from leaving C) the "stick" or shill who would act like a legitimate spectator but was part of the crew D) and two lookouts. 6 man crew.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5062 Posts

Profile of landmark
You might enjoy reading this description:

https://jackshalom.net/2017/09/30/findin......d-monte/
Satire
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Satire
I just read through that article in its entirety: that was fascinating!

I do a demonstration of 3-Card Monte for friends every so often, primarily as a warning, and always finish with, "I know how this works, and even I would still always lose. Don't ever play this on the street."
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
There was an interesting show on TV about the use of shills, and the narrator was an operator who dealt monte at truck stops. What was interesting was that he said the way the role of the shill was portrayed was wrong. Instead of seeing the shill win money, he claimed that the real psychology was to have the shill lose because he bet on the wrong card, and the spectator thinks "Gee, I was following the right card. I would have won. I could win at this game." Me and a friend of mine who was a consultant to some top acts in magic at the time, we both felt it had an interesting 'ring' to it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Monte in 70's NYC (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL