The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Help Me Build a Routine (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
312 Posts

Profile of will lane
Hi all. I've been working on pruning my repertoire of tricks and perfecting what is left. So I thought it would be fun and insightful to get your opinion on what tricks from my repertoire you'd use in a typical 3-trick set, or maybe a 5-trick set. My goal is to perform for family and friends, coffee table type settings.

But don't take it too seriously- I know there are a lot of variables to consider when making a routine. I'd just like to see what you'd include, for any reasons you have. Maybe you build an ACR? Maybe you link two effects together? Maybe another version of an effect could work better?... So here's the list of tricks I've been working on, some I've tweaked so I'll clarify as I need to:

Cards:
-Slop Triumph
-Con Cam Coincidencia
-Easy Spelling (reading their physiological reaction, I divine the card name letter by letter, chosen card is at the end)
-Ink Transfer (ink transferred from the chosen card to a blank slip inside a "Bill to Water" tube)
-3 Cards Across
-Houdini Card Trick (the one with the rubberband)
-Invisible Deck
-Tap A Lack (very simplified)
-Emotional Reaction
-Card to Pocket
-Card to Mouth (the quick one that's usually a part of an ACR)
-Spectator Prediction (I "teach" a trick, they unknowingly select the mate of the card I choose)

Money:
-Coins Across (basically Roth's version, turtle)
-Scotch and Soda
-Coin to Nest of Wallets (using flash paper to vanish the coin)
-Coin to Nest of Boxes (the SS Adams version)
-Bill Tube

Other:
-Silk Appearance/Vanish (TT)
-Mental Epic (pencil/paper, force)
MagicVin
View Profile
Loyal user
Staten Island, New York
224 Posts

Profile of MagicVin
So glad you posted this I'm right now struggling with the problem my self of trying to go from doing a bunch of tricks to doing a routine and make it flow right. finding this much harder than any of the moves I have practiced over the years. I want to put together a 10 min routine that flows and makes sense that I can polish and do in my sleep but just can't seem to get there. I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one that is trying to do this and I'm excited to hear any advice people have
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20775 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The largest "variable" which is almost a MUST know if you want to do this seriously is insight as to who you are as a performer.

What exactly moves or inspires you? Why are you sitting in front of them doing "tricks", or more specifically THESE tricks? What has brought you to THIS moment?

All questions that need asking and answers by you personally to help you move forward. (Also things painfully few even consider, which is why most guys just do a strange collection of "tricks" for no apparent reason.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Fedora
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Fedora
It helps to look at a routine as a mini show. One that increases in entertainment value throughout.
From your list you could choose... "easy speller" you deduce a chosen card, "mental epic" you figure out a number,word and card
By reading their mind. And "invisible deck" you predict a card. This is a collection of tricks that follow a similar theme but increase
in apparent difficulty (to the audience). But that might not be enough to have a "show" you need something to bring it full circle.
Here's an idea, have 2 spectators take a card, than you pick a card for yourself, turn it backwards in the deck, put the deck in its box,
And in your pocket. Deduce the first card, discover the second by mind reading, than pull out your invisible deck, have them choose
a card between themselves, and that's the card you turned over at the beginning!
ScarneAce
View Profile
Regular user
In a Galaxy far, far away...
119 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
If its just friends and family just perform whatever tricks you like in any order, they aren't going to care if your act flows and has a structure

If it helps, this is how I start my standard close up act

-Triumph
-Matching the Cards
-Ace Cutting (halo aces or steve freemans riffle shuffle aces)
-Simple Collectors (john mendoza) or Shocked Aces (paul gordon)
-Daley Aces
-Out of This World (I set up the red black conversationally)
-The Squeeze (john mendoza)
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
The tricks you are working on are all based on cards or coins. I think of routining as a smooth transition between different types of effect such as in a Sanders effect "Turbo Stick" in which you change a drawn red dot into a sponge ball and then continue with a sponge ball effect.
You mentioned "The Houdini Card Trick - the one with the rubber band".
Could you follow it with a colour-changing rubber band trick which then leads into a colour-changing coin?
Can you produce a pack of cards (such as in "3D Advertising"), then continue with a card trick?
If you wish to stay with the coin and card tricks you are already familiar with, you might have to drop the ones in which you don't end clean, and keep the tricks that flow naturally. Do you have any effects that involve both cards and coins so you can intersperse them?
Geoff Pfeiffer
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
89 Posts

Profile of Geoff Pfeiffer
To get a better visual on your current stock of illusions, try putting each one you have listed on an index card and begin placing two or three together. Then practice to see if it fits. Keep moving them around and working on the performance to get a set that works well together. In the upper corner put 1-1 on the first card, 1-2 on the second and 1-3 on the third for your first set of three. I also add other notes or jokes as a memory jogger. I hope this helps get you started.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Help Me Build a Routine (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL