The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Combo marked and stacked (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Am playing for years really with a combo of marked and stacked deck, stacked to a mnemonic (rosary stack) as this allows, after a false shuffle, to dribble till they say stop and show the face of the card at the face of the upper block to the spectator while looking at the mark on the back of the top card of the lower block. Counting ahead 1 in my mnemonic gives me the name of the card they are memorizing. Because it is at the face of an entire block, I obviously can't see the back of that card. Laymen know about marked cards, and this is a throw-off of that idea, marks, yet it uses marks. I like it because it is different.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Regular user
At my age I should have more than a mere
155 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
For over a year now I've been doing a 'bit' in which I rapidly perform a tabletop fan of a marked deck showing the "all different" card faces of a Stebbins stack. I then do a somewhat sloppy false shuffle ala Charlier and launch into a little lecture about how people cut cards differently (equal piles, deep cut, shallow cut, etc.), demonstrating each as I describe it. Of course, the deck remains in its original stack order while I do all this. I then describe how, on a "quantum level," when a deck is cut, the "image" of the cut-to card lingers for a few seconds on the back of the card that was recently below it, i.e. the new top card on the deck after the cut has been completed. I then have the spec cut the cards using his choice of methods and next stroke my fingers lightly over that top card back in order to "read" the alleged lingering image "before it fades," meanwhile noting its mark and computing the value of the card now on the bottom of the deck, ultimately revealing same (although once in a while I do get the suit wrong!) (sly grin)

Bottom line: I believe that we are kindred spirits in that our methods are essentially similar, no? --And BTW, after doing dozens of quick, smooth spreads using Stebbins, no one has ever called me out about the alternating red-black arrangement. FWIW also, my fave deck is an original DMC Elites Rouge, although since I have all the time in the world to study the card back in question, any deck in my sizeable collection would probably do just as well. --Cheers!
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Combo marked and stacked (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL