The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Performance tip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

crashfreze
View Profile
Regular user
columbia, sc
114 Posts

Profile of crashfreze
A thought occured to me the other day when I was thinking how to improve my showmanship, patter, etc. If you keep fairly regular patter, timing, and whatnot, eventually it becomes almost difficult to do a trick WITHOUT the patter to aid in your timing and delivery. One thing that usually disrupts me are people trying to be clever and funny during your patter or heckling as its sometimes called. So I was thinking of the best way to deal with this. Then it hit me. With my regular patter one can almost predict what people may say in certain situations. I therefore chose a few effects and attempted to write down a few possible things your average spectator may say in a given situation and then snappy comebacks that would get a laugh.

Lo and behold. Less than 24 hours later I was showing a trick to my father-in-law who is a real wise arse. Right on queue he chimes in with a wise remark. I slam dunked him with my preplanned comeback. Everyone in the room roared.

That pretty much made a believer out of me so now I'm going to spend this week planning out lines for all of my effects. You don't necessarily have to take anything away from this, I just thought it was an entertaining anecdote.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
That's great! Aside from out lines I also plan alternative endings to my effects. There might be a magician in the room, or there might be someone who has seen the effect and tries to get ahead of the group. Alternative endings are pretty good slammers IMO.
The best thing is planning out lines and alternative endings does'nt require "silly clear tapes" such as 3M!
Great post!

peace!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
This is very good boys. All magi should use their heads more than their skill. It is this kind of thinking that makes magic an art, as opposed to just a skill.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I've always said that the best ad libs are those you've prepared.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I never use word-for-word "patter" (I hate that word, patter) but have a general theme and work as conversational as I can doing table/close up magic.

Almost as loose on stage too... I feel you need to talk at the level of those watching you.

One of the great lessons I got from Comedy writer/genius Lou Derman (wrote for All in the Family TV show, created Mr. Ed) was "for ever action there must be a reaction... whenever anyone speaks you MUST answer, funny or not."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
007mystic
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
63 Posts

Profile of 007mystic
It flows better if you have several patters for each effect. If your doing a trick it would always be better to make it into an effect by raping oround it some part of yourself.
The weaver of Illusions
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Performance tip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL