The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I-Ching (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Anyone interested in the I-Ching? Doing readings or just for patter ideas...either way.
snm
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of snm
Yes...
Stmarkus
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
115 Posts

Profile of Stmarkus
Hi Gregg, I’ve been messing around with a set of I-Ching cards for awhile. Cards have the trigrams on them and a picture representing energy involved, Mountain, Water, etc. I’ve done readings but not too much. I like that they deal with energy as this is good as far as readings and situations and events. Actually a pretty deep Oracle. Anyway good to hear from you. Miss the days at Rusticos pizza.

Be well,

Mark Stitz
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I've been using the book. Karl Jung thought the I Ching was amazing. Everything is cyclical.
So, yeah, Rustico Café. Miss David Roth and Sol Stone. I was talking with Rich Marata from Tannen's, the other day. He goes back. I'm in touch with Meir Yedid regularly, and Jeff McBride in Las Vegas...emails. That's about it. Yet, people are still into magic, those that stay at it. It is such a huge field. More and more I'm looking into odd ideas for presentations. You know who fascinates me now? Derren Brown. Do you hang out here in the mentalism section? p.s. before I split, I'm into Tarot cards too. One thing I plan on getting into is palm reading. Ray Hyman used to do it and talked about it in various places.
Isper
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Isper
I have used it for readings both privately and for paid clients. Are you looking to do readings with it or are you looking to create effects with it? If you are looking to do effects with it, the I-Ching cards would be a better option as you can dress up many card tricks using the I-Ching cards and working readings into the effect.
Isper
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Isper
In addition, book test effects could also be created using the I-Ching book.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1524 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
I have a number of free online I Ching resources at

https://psychicscience.org/Ching

I have also published a concise practical guide to using the I Ching for divination.

https://www.amazon.com/Ching-Oracle-Mode......8217366/

My ebook on the Staycard Principle also has two mentalism effects using I Ching cards (templates for printing the cards are included).

https://www.lybrary.com/ocd-and-other-effects-p-330506.html

Mike
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
This is great. I've only been studying the I Ching for about 50 years. The one thing I notice is that many (not you guys) miss is the "changing" as in "The Book of Changes". Essentially, for anyone new, there are basically two readings, one for the present, and after the changes, another reading for what the situation will be "soon" (I take to mean within about 90 days). I am studying the Chinese language also, which is very difficult, especially the pronunciation, and not necessary for sure. I plan on looking into Michael Daniels resources after I have some (surprise) Chinese food. Just a coincidence. My wife usually doesn't pick Chinese food. Or is it?
I'm pleasantly surprised that people are interested.
snm
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of snm
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
This is great. I've only been studying the I Ching for about 50 years. The one thing I notice is that many (not you guys) miss is the "changing" as in "The Book of Changes". Essentially, for anyone new, there are basically two readings, one for the present, and after the changes, another reading for what the situation will be "soon" (I take to mean within about 90 days). I am studying the Chinese language also, which is very difficult, especially the pronunciation, and not necessary for sure. I plan on looking into Michael Daniels resources after I have some (surprise) Chinese food. Just a coincidence. My wife usually doesn't pick Chinese food. Or is it?
I'm pleasantly surprised that people are interested.

What are your personal recommended resources?
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
To snm, I would recommend the Big Book - The I-Ching book of changes. Also, I just read through the material at the link that Michael Daniels gave above. I use the coins method. I never found out what Yarrow Stalks even are. I don't think many over here do. In the East there are probably people that know what Yarrow Stalks are and use them to arrive at the hexagram. Also known as Pak Wa.
Many speak of I-Ching cards, which I've never seen but am interested in, because I like all kinds of cards in my other life.
Anyway, the area that seems to have the most confusion is the changing of the lines. I use a coin toss but there are other more complex ways. Also, one should realize that after your 3-coin throws to get your first Hexagram, you look it up in the big book and it gives you your reading. Then you do the changing lines and here is where there seems to be confusion. What I do after the changes (some lines change and some lines don't) and end up with a NEW Hexagram, is to look up THAT in the big book and assume that new reading to be what the situation changes to within about 90 days (1/4 year).
In Michael Daniels' writings, he is clear at describing what kind of questions yield themselves to this oracle method. For now I want to mention that a very early divination method was scapulamancy-throwing the shoulder-blade bones of goats and sheep and other animals and reading...sort of like tea-leaves, but over time they started painting designs on the scapula bones, but also there was one that they think was a precursor to the I-Ching, and that was by breaking tortoise shells into sections, which had unique designs in them by nature, and throwing those and "interpreting" the message about the questions of the day.
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Just looked up Taoism as being related to Lao Tzu and his book the Tao Te Ching.
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
I Ching is my favorite oracle. It really speaks to me.
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I agree. Astrology is very very old. I know nothing of the origins of palm reading. I'll have to look that up. Tarot is not as old as we used to think. But yeah, the I Ching is very mysterious. I'm learning the chinese brush caligraphy for the names of the hexagrams as a way of making a presentation of a reading. Certainly not necessary. I am an artist so I already had skill with a brush. But I still want to look into the I Ching cards.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1569 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
You can use bamboo skewers instead of yarrow stalks. I've only used coins.

I currently have four translations. I began with The Oracle of Change, by Alfred Douglas, a modern, simplified translation that I'd be happy to recommend if it wasn't out of print and expensive. The Richard Wilhelm translation is more comprehensive but the book has a poor layout. Ritsema & Sabardini's version tries to be complete, with alternative meanings given for each word, but it's very confusing to use. Lastly, I have an ebook version of the Alfred Huang translation. I've never tried to use it because it's stuck in Google Books (I got it free), but it's very detailed and probably the best I've seen.

Barry
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1524 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 1, 2021, mindmagic wrote:
You can use bamboo skewers instead of yarrow stalks. I've only used coins.

I currently have four translations ...

You could also use cocktail sticks or even matchsticks - but the process is time consuming.

My online I Ching Oracle simulates both coins and yarrow stalks (instantly).

https://psychicscience.org/ching3

It is worth noting that the probabilities of getting old/young yin/yang differ between the coin and yarrow methods.

My online oracle includes four translations- Wilhelm, Legge, Crowley, and my own "modern" interpretations. My interpretations are those used in my book on the I Ching Oracle.

Mike
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I use the coins, although part of the presentation may be lost not learning the yarrow stalks method. The very mysteriousness of the whole procedure may help the mood of the sitter. I want to go back and read again the part of the "changing lines" which seems to confuse people. I've come up with what works for me but I want to check that I didn't simplify something in my way.
Mike, is that Allistair Crowley?
Cocktail sticks or matches might work to learn on, but the yarrow stalks themselves might help the theater of it all. Hell, I used to live in Chinatown. I could ask around. I'm sure they're around. If I find a source I'll report back from my excursion.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1524 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 1, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
Mike, is that Allistair Crowley?
Cocktail sticks or matches might work to learn on, but the yarrow stalks themselves might help the theater of it all. Hell, I used to live in Chinatown. I could ask around. I'm sure they're around. If I find a source I'll report back from my excursion.

Yes, Aleister Crowley - his are versified interpretations.

I managed to find a field with yarrow about fifty years ago and collected sufficient for a set. Once naturally dried they are excellent and have lasted me all these years (though I don't use them now).

Mike
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I didn't have to leave the house. I googled yarrow stalks and found a mother-load. They're very available, and there are 3 videos to click showing how to do the yarrow stalks method. Even Amazon has the 2 big books, brass chinese coins, yarrow stalks, etc. Anyway, I just noticed I have bamboo skewers that I can cut and use to learn on...so it looks like I'm learning the yarrow stalks method. Also I'm reading more on Michael Daniels' link.
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I'm definitely reading Aleister Crowley's version while I listen to Ozzie Osbourne.
Stmarkus
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
115 Posts

Profile of Stmarkus
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
I've been using the book. Karl Jung thought the I Ching was amazing. Everything is cyclical.
So, yeah, Rustico Café. Miss David Roth and Sol Stone. I was talking with Rich Marata from Tannen's, the other day. He goes back. I'm in touch with Meir Yedid regularly, and Jeff McBride in Las Vegas...emails. That's about it. Yet, people are still into magic, those that stay at it. It is such a huge field. More and more I'm looking into odd ideas for presentations. You know who fascinates me now? Derren Brown. Do you hang out here in the mentalism section? p.s. before I split, I'm into Tarot cards too. One thing I plan on getting into is palm reading. Ray Hyman used to do it and talked about it in various places.

Hey Gregg,

Interesting you say all this. After our mutual friend Polaris departed, I moved to Puerto Rico where I’ve been for about 10 years. Though I’m currently in the process of coming back to the States. But yes my interest has turned to mentalism as well and like you, Im currently studying Palm reading and Tarot. One can never learn enough. Before he passed Polaris told me he thought one day I’d get into mentalism. At the time I was only interested in close up Magic so I was genuinely puzzled and asked “ What makes you say that” ? He smiled with that mischievous twinkle in his eye and said “ You’ll find out” ! He was right! Great seeing you here Gregg!

Be well,

Mark Stitz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I-Ching (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL