The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I-Ching (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Mentalism is magic for the more mature, or something like that. Sleight-of-mind. Etc.
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
And doing readings is that much beyond mentalism. I'm looking at a whole bunch on-line from Ray Hyman about palmistry and cold reading. Looking into (pun) skrying and got a few nice crystal balls originally as props and decorations but now trying skrying (it rhymes) but recently found out that you can skry (sp) by looking into the smoke from incense which I like better. Seems about the same as meditation. Maybe someone knows more on this. I don't mind if it goes off thread - I started this thread which is about I Ching but can be about fortune telling too.
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
You mentioned Polaris. I knew him a long time. Great guy, loved to laugh. Anyway, I didn't know he did mentalism but I guess some things with cards, he loved a thing with the watch...something I saw The Amazing Randi do..."Think of a time". Then he'd change the clock to that time without you seeing it. Make it seem like it happened in your hand etc. But, I still like some magic. Most guys don't work quite clean enough, flash here or there, or try stuff that is too hard for them and the strain shows. Better to do a lot less and use acting to make it seem bigger. I publish ideas for mentalism, mnemonics etc. on Lybrary.com
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I'm imagining a hand-lettered "scroll" type of presentation, with the first Hexagram at the upper left and the second one, after the changes, at the upper right.
Then would follow the "reading" for the first Hexagram, and after that would be the explanation about the second Hexagram after the changes and then the actual reading for the second Hexagram. I could have samples of the finished scroll to show. I could actually do the throwing of the coins or stalks "in person" but to finish it, I'd want to ask for time to do the "research" and "meditation" required. So, in private I could look up the readings in the big book, nicely letter the scroll, etc. Then send it to them or some kind of delivery.
That's where I'm at now. I'd love it if Michael Daniels jumped in and tells me if I'm on to anything here.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1527 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
I'm imagining a hand-lettered "scroll" type of presentation, with the first Hexagram at the upper left and the second one, after the changes, at the upper right.
Then would follow the "reading" for the first Hexagram, and after that would be the explanation about the second Hexagram after the changes and then the actual reading for the second Hexagram. I could have samples of the finished scroll to show. I could actually do the throwing of the coins or stalks "in person" but to finish it, I'd want to ask for time to do the "research" and "meditation" required. So, in private I could look up the readings in the big book, nicely letter the scroll, etc. Then send it to them or some kind of delivery.
That's where I'm at now. I'd love it if Michael Daniels jumped in and tells me if I'm on to anything here.

Personally, I am not in favour of giving I Ching readings for other people, or for suggesting possible interpretations of another person's hexagrams and lines.

The I Ching texts are themselves the 'reading' and should, IMO, be interpreted only by the individual who frames the question (for themselves) and who casts the oracle.

My experience with the I Ching is that it has its own voice and personality - it does not need a 3rd-person interpreter (with all the associated problems of allowing someone else to guide and potentially manipulate the interpretation). In that respect, the I Ching is very different from other divination systems (such as the Tarot or palmistry) which are much more suited to 3rd-person readings.

Having said that, it is important to choose an I Ching text/translation that speaks meaningfully to you. The problem many modern Westerners find with the classical texts (as translated by Wilhelm/Baynes, Legge, etc.) is that much of the language and symbology is archaic, obscure, culture-bound (largely Confucian), patriarchal and sexist.

Although I began, more than 50 years ago, by using the Wilhelm/Baynes translation, I found the simplified texts in R.L Wing's "The I Ching Workbook" (1978) to be much more appealing, straightforward, and useful. I am glad to see that this excellent book remains in print. Its clean and modern style strongly influenced my own approach to translating/interpreting the texts.

Mike
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I found the sticks I was looking for, at least for now. Actually I found 2 types of skewers and cut them both to 7 inch lengths. So I'm off to learn the stalks method of throwing to arrive at the Hexagrams. I learned it superficially many years ago but quickly turned to the coins method. Now I'm back on the stalks.
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I'm back. You guys seem to be doing well. I found two kinds of sticks that I made into the 50 stalks each to learn the Yarrow stalks method. Lo and behold, I found the stalks method to be very convoluted and difficult and confusing, so I have tied them up in neat bundles and they now form decorations on my shelf along with a few crystal balls and other similar items (like runes) that I don't really use. Luckily I found 3 other methods in some pretty obscure places and with the coins method I like, I now have 4 methods to "cast" the hexagrams. Like I said, I'm writing out the long form of the entire reading for the "before" hexagram and the "after" hexagram. Next I want to find the right kind of paper that has an official look like faux parchment. I already have a few people lined up for a test run, and then I've got to see if I can get a fee worth the bother. I'll get back to you after a while.
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Sorry. I forgot to mention the 1 method new to me that I like a lot. This involves 6 flat sticks painted with a solid line on one side and a broken line on the other. Each is tossed and allowed to fall, and you build up the 1-6 lines that way. Much easier for my poor brain to comprehend than the yarrow stalks. The rest of the looking things up in the book remain the same, and I'm still going for the hand lettering with a brush and india ink method I talked about before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I-Ching (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL