The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin pail advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of cloneman
I'm looking for a coin pail to start working on a Miser's Dream routine. Most of the pails I've seen have very suspicious looking handles which act as droppers. Any suggestions on normal-looking pails (other than, "get a normal pail")? Smile Ideally what I get should have the ability to hide loads without looking suspicious.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Learn the best routine, the Charlie Miller one. It uses a plain pail. It is similar (in method) to one of the greatest all time routines, that done by Al Flosso and now by Jeff McBride.

The best sound comes from the Magic Inc. "Bell Bucket" (but they are out of stock)... I do have one spare, if interested PM me.

Otherwise go to a restaurant supply store and get a stainless steel bucket (champagane type) or the ones used in steam tables.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I picked up a fairly heavy stainless steel pot at Wal-Mart for about $8. It was originally designed to hold kitchen utensils (spoons, spatulas, etc.) but it's perfect for a Miser's Dream pail. It looks good without looking suspicious, and it's also heavy enough to stand up to repeated use and misuse.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has smooth sides, which will enable you to release your loaded coins easily, smoothly and reliably. A top lip would be a good feature; makes it easier to hold onto the pail without slipping. The pail should also be deep enough to cover your hand movements, and to provide enough distance for the coins to fall and make plenty of noise as they hit bottom.

In a pinch, you can do the Miser's Dream with an empty one-pound coffee can but a pail with the right attributes will make your job a lot easier.

Good Luck!
Seth
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There are some metal pails around that have handles. They are perfect for the trick.

Perhaps Mickey will tip some of his handling sometime soon. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
I saw what seemed to me to be the perfect coin pail at, of all places, PetSmart. They had three different sizes and they looked great, simple yet shiny and they were cheap.

Ronnie
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Pete's got it right, Charlie Miller Routine, (it is in Bobo, and in Charlie's column in Genii, Magicana), and Magic Inc.'s "Bell Bucket", which IS a hospital supply item...

Best,
PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yah PSC, it is a pot to hiss in, as the snake said. Smile
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Hi Thomas, I thought about the Miser's Dream routine for quite a while. I believed that in this day and age it was time to come up with a routine using...YES! A regular pail...but most of all...total "visuality", like it was never used before!

TRUE, the sound of a coin sliding down the side of a pail is effective, however, you can not see the coin. I figured out an "absolutely fantastic way" to actually reach in the air grab a coin (silver dollar). Note: A single silver dollar. The coin is thrown into the pail so all can see "visually" from above the pail. The coin lands making a louder noise than ever, because of the throwing force.

Remember now, "one" coin is extracted from the air at a time and can be shown right away...laying in the palm of your hand, with no other coins around it. It is then thrown into the pail, everyone can see it fly from the hand into the pail...meaning, the coin can be seen in mid-air. It is absolutely amazing, and can be repeated up to 20 times in a roll (short sleeves on).

I was on the way to New York to work a trade show over the weekend (working as a magician). I stopped by Jonathan Townsend's, went out for dinner with him and showed him this all new Miser's Dream routine. Jon liked it and helped me improve on it. We worked on it till around midnight. (Thanks a million Jonathan.) I performed it for the very first time the following day at the trade show. Everyone loved it and could not believe their eyes...I must have performed it over 75 times during the two-day trade show.

"The all new totally visual Miser's was a success." I have never seen this in print before, Jonathan agreed! So I am going to write it up for all to see and learn.

"This is one Miser's Dream everyone must learn."

Thanks for reading,
MICKEY
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Don't tease us Mickey! If you and Jonathan worked on it, it must be fantastic. Publish soon!
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I'm looking forward to seeing and learning that routine. Thanks Mickey and Jon.

As for me, I use the Bob Solari Miser's Miracle gimmick, with a couple of upgrades that I came up with over time. It's a perfect walk-around size (about 3 1/2" in diameter/4-5" deep) and it plays well from behind the bar too.

Out of the box the gimmick pretty much does all the work, and it comes with a nice simple little routine. However, creative minds will find ways to add some sleight of hand to the basic effect to increase the punch factor.

I don't do it very often, but when I do, it usually kills.

Best,
Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Joe Porper has JUST created two new awesome items for restaurant and/or walkaround. A mechanical Miser's Dream built into a stainless steel cocktail shaker... and a couple of coin producing wands (25 cent- and dollar-size).
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Pete & Wildstone,

Can you post some links where I might see/purchase these items online? I did a simple search and found only a small picture of the coin wand, but neither of the other two items. Thanks!
M_Glow
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of M_Glow
I bought my coin pail at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's simply a silver pail with no ornament or decoration. It does not taper at all like a traditional champagne chiller.

What I like about it is that it is LOUD! I do my Miser's Dream with cheap Mardis Gras coins I got off ebay. These flimsy pieces of aluminum clang so LOUDLY that my wife is annoyed when I practice this trick.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Thomas:

Bob Solari Magic

Coincedentally, I just bought another one on Monday because mine was getting a little "beat up". It's a solid investment for $25. You get the coin cup/pail (it's small, so pail may not be the right word), and a jumbo half. As I mentioned, I reworked the routine that comes with it, as well as the gimmick itself. A brief look at it is all you need to get the creative juices flowing. I really like it for walk around and bar situations.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Quote:
On 2004-06-23 06:27, WildStone wrote:
Thomas:

Bob Solari Magic

Coincedentally, I just bought another one on Monday because mine was getting a little "beat up". It's a solid investment for $25. You get the coin cup/pail (it's small, so pail may not be the right word), and a jumbo half. As I mentioned, I reworked the routine that comes with it, as well as the gimmick itself. A brief look at it is all you need to get the creative juices flowing. I really like it for walk around and bar situations.

Wildstone - can you use additional coins with the routine other than the supplied half-dollar? I tend to use gold plated coins and Ike dollars.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2004-06-21 20:58, pchosse wrote:
Charlie Miller Routine, (it is in Bobo, and in Charlie's column in Genii, Magicana

If I'm reading the description in Bobo correctly ... all you have to do is p**m 30 silver dollars at once? out of your pants pocket yet?

Yikes.
Roy McIlwee
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Roy McIlwee
On my Bob Solari Misers dream pail, I cemented a rubber gasket around the rim. It gives your hand a nice little bounce off that rim as you toss your plucked coin into the pail and it also gives you the ability to toss the coin in with a more nonchalant effort. Hope this helps someone. Roy McIlwee.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Has anyone worked out how to switch pails in mid routine so's to get a pail FULL of coins?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Roy McIlwee
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Roy McIlwee
Jonathan, Is that switch based loosley on the "Cockroach Pass'?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin pail advice (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL