The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin pail advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
I’ve seen Bob Solari’s Miser’s Dream setup. The cup is very nice to use for a Miser’s Dream routine. I’m not sure why you would want to use the gimmick that came with the cup. The move it is replacing is not very difficult and you would be adding all the problems and limitations of adding a gimmick into the routine.

As for a coin wand, I think the audience would catch on kinda quick to the method.

In developing a Miser’s Dream routine, I would stick with the basic method (see Bobo) to produce the effect. To this skeleton I would add tricks, gags, and flourishes to round out the routine.

Good Luck!
Chris
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Carbone: I only use the cup and the Jumbo (sometimes)... The cup has a built in gimmack that I exploit. The TT is not used in my routine.

Thomas: Yes, you can use whatever coins you like Smile

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
What is the best size coins for manipulation, the 1/2 dollar or Dollar? I notice that the old smooth Morgan Dollars as well as "soft" pre 1921 Dollars are sold but I do not see any "old" 1/2's being offered.

I just ordered a set of Kennedy 1/2s but can change my order to dollars, but if it is to be dollars I need a recommendation as to what kind: Uncirculated, Used, Soft or Smoothed?

There is not much difference in price between the Kennedy halves, and dollars like Franklin Dollars & Barbers, but the Peace and Morgan Dollars both Uncirculated and worn are $60.00 to $75.00 more for the set of five. So, I'd like to be sure that I am ordering that which has the best and most varied use.

I hope that Mickey, Townsend, and some of the other coin mechanics can respond before it is too late to change my order.

BTW MICKEY:............Where is the preview DVD copy? I am waiting for it and your actual release of the coin routine. SO WHERE ARE THEY? ANYWAY?????????????????
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2004-06-23 19:28, cheesewrestler wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-06-21 20:58, pchosse wrote:
Charlie Miller Routine, (it is in Bobo, and in Charlie's column in Genii, Magicana

If I'm reading the description in Bobo correctly ... all you have to do is p**m 30 silver dollars at once? out of your pants pocket yet?

Yikes.

Seeing this thread back up top led me to read through the description in Bobo again.

Seriously, has anyone ever done this as described there? The get-ready move described sounds terminally fishy with a hat, and completely unnatural & suspicious with a bucket or similar container.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You really don't need to 'palm' 30 coins. Holding them inside the bucket is NOT difficult at all. The Charlie Miller routine, like the Pat Page routine, is so easy to do it is ridiculous.

The SECRET to the routine is the bits of business, not a lot of skill.

And a coin wand is great, but only for two or three coins at the most.

Don't get greedy with a principle.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
John Carney has a great routine. Very good ideas in his routine.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Ok, if it was good enough for Charlie Miller I guess I'll buckle down & give it a try.

Anybody care to spot me 30 Morgans? I'm a little short this week.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Richard -- Saw your question about the "best" size of coin to use in the middle of this Miser's Dream thread.

As most coin workers will tell you, there is no "best" size. The right size is determined by each person, based on their own hands. Some people can't classic palm a quarter, others use a half or a silver dollar. Before you invest lots of money in sets of coins, I'd suggest just going to a bank and getting a few halves, Ike dollars and quarters at regular prices. Then play around with them and see what's most comfortable in the various palm positions for YOU.

For example, I can classic palm a half easier than a quarter, but I am less comfortable finger palming a half because I have 'windows' between my fingers. Thumb palms are no problem in either size. I haven't played around with Ikes yet, still have my hands full (pun intended) with the quarters and halves.

Don't feel that you have to "keep up with the Joneses" by using Morgan dollars and so on. A well executed vanish with a quarter is a lot more impressive than a sloppy one with a Morgan. Good luck! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have 20 Silver Dollars, I think 16 Morgans and 4 Peace dollars. All very nice, I think one or two maybe worn style. My friend owns them and would like to get $10 each, plus shipping.
Lauren Benson
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Lauren Benson
Wow! I am new to this board and just reading a lot of the posts today. I love it here. But what I want to say is that almost every topic I look at, there is Pete Biro!! Pete you must spend most all of your day just helping magicians like me, every day here! I have already read dozens of your posts and it's only the first day! This is better than any book I could read, and much more diversified. Pete, you are my new hero!! You are a LEGEND!! I think you are a good Christian too because I read you like to frequent Dean Dill's shop. Thanks again for sharing.
God Bless,
Lauren
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Not having a day job helps... I do like to write and answer questions. You may have noted that I seldom ever start threads.

Dill's shoppe is a place to hang out, like an old magic shop that I hung at when a kid. No politics, no meetings, no dues... just nice people helping each other with their magic.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5732 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use a wine bucket called a "wine cooler". Its inside diameter isn't much wider than the outside diameter of a 750 ml wine bottle. It's a nice size for the miser's dream.
Lauren Benson
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Lauren Benson
Quote:
On 2004-08-03 21:39, Pete Biro wrote:
Not having a day job helps... I do like to write and answer questions. You may have noted that I seldom ever start threads.

Dill's shoppe is a place to hang out, like an old magic shop that I hung at when a kid. No politics, no meetings, no dues... just nice people helping each other with their magic.

Well, I guess it's like I said in an earlier post, the magic Café serves a great purpose in that it creates a social place for people to just hang out and talk. My father had some health problems along the way, but he always managed to work until he was almost 90. He always told me he was fortunate to be able to work and not have to retire, unlike the other way of thinking where you finally make it to retirement. People need something to do, no matter what the age, and staying productive and active is very self satisfying if you are lucky enough to be able.

Dean's shoppe sounds great. And Dean is a devout Christian man. Do you ever study the Bible when you are not doing magic? Or think of ways that your magic can help spread the word of God? Just a thought.
God Bless,
Lauren
GSmithson
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of GSmithson
Walter Gibson used a clear bucket which allowed the audience to see the coin fall into the pail.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Does Bob Solari's gimmick require any sleights or extra coins?

Thanks,

Wayne
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin pail advice (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL