The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I.B.M. Youth » » Magic Club advisor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Professor Corleone
View Profile
New user
Northern California
2 Posts

Profile of Professor Corleone
Hi! I started a magic club at a local high school in California. Should I get my kids signed up with a local ibm chapter? How does that work? Sorry about being so naive about ibm and thanks for directing me. I also am curious about joining the ibm. Thank you!
Tim Snyder
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
100 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
I am a member of SAM and also Subscribe to Genii magazine. I am not a member of IBM.

I don't think it is important / helpful for your kids as a whole to be encouraged to join IBM. You have enjoyed magic without ever joining. If you have a student or two who seems especially serious about the art, then I would encourage them to look into joining one of the societies. For someone new to magic, I might encourage them to subscribe to Genii magazine even before joining an organization. The magazine gives you a nice feel for / understanding of the whole magic community.

There is so much cheap and free material available today for anyone interested in learning magic -- YouTube and used DVDs from the big auction site. I would use these materials to illustrate the enormous variety of magicians and the types of magic they perform. As students started to formulate their own style and preferences, I would point them towards groups, organizations and conventions that would help them to become "good" performers in their selected style.

Your average club members can just enjoy fooling around with magic after school. Clubs, organizations, magazines and conventions run from about $50 to $150. The Magic Café is free. I have learned as much here as from anywhere else.

I hope your club at the school is a fun experience for everyone!

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I.B.M. Youth » » Magic Club advisor (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL