The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Fisher's Heroes of Magic (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Have you heard about Gabe Fajuri & Squash Publishing's latest: John Fisher's Heroes of Magic?! This is a gorgeous and personal look at 25 titans of magic - their careers, acts, personalities, enemies, and more. If you love magic, history, or any of the subjects, you'll love this 400+ page beauty! I reviewed it, and here's what I thought:

https://youtu.be/TKBFGtYt4Zo

From the ad copy...

Acclaimed television producer and author John Fisher has assembled an unparalleled cast in the pages of Heroes of Magic. Combining firsthand experience and behind-the-scenes stories with deep historical understanding, each profile captures the essence of its subject. Weaving together life stories, anecdotes, and historical accomplishments, these pages contain rich and personal profiles of lives often shrouded in secrecy.

Here, both struggles and triumphs are all on exhibit. From the kindhearted conjuring of David Devant to the thought-thievery of Maurice Fogel; from the laugh-provoking trickery of Tommy Cooper and Jay Marshall to the adroit sleight-of-hand of Ricky Jay and Cardini; from the grand illusions of Richiardi and Robert Harbin to the elegant sorcery of Fred Kaps and Rene Lavand, these magicians attained a status of something much more than mere entertainers.

Each one created miracles that persist, and personas that inspire the imagination, one generation after another. Through the pages of Heroes of Magic, and the insider's view they provide, now you can understand what made that possible.

448 oversize pages in deluxe cloth bound hardcover with dust-jacket, illustrated with hundreds of photographs.

With an introduction by Joel Hodgson, creator of Mystery Science Theater 3000, and an afterword by noted theatrical illusion designer Paul Kieve.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Thanks Jeff, for the review. I ordered this and Copperfields book recently. Cannot wait for both!
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2021, dooblehorn wrote:
Thanks Jeff, for the review. I ordered this and Copperfields book recently. Cannot wait for both!

You bet! 👍 I'm interested to hear what you think about each.
corindaman
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Will this be available from UK Magic dealers? Lovely book which I really would like to own but the shipping is about the same price as the book!
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2021, corindaman wrote:
Will this be available from UK Magic dealers? Lovely book which I really would like to own but the shipping is about the same price as the book!

I think it is safe to say that at least a couple of dealers in your neck of the woods will have the book. You may just have to be a bit patient.

Looks like a terrific fun read. The Copperfield book as well which is a companion to touring his museum of magic which very few will have the opportunity to do. So, it stands on its own but is also a tour book and not just a history book.

And let us not forget the Fred Kaps book!

Great to see some welcome books with history and not a bunch more magic effects. Sometimes, you just have to take some time and enrich your soul with our history.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Also, the Max Malini book is soon coming
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2021, Maxyedid wrote:
Also, the Max Malini book is soon coming

Yes, so many great books about magic history have come out recently: this book, Mike Caveney's One Hundred Years of Sawing, Classic Correspondence from Egyptian Hall Museum IV, etc. Based on my own data from Erudite Magic, it seems like magicians aren't as interested in history as they are about learning new tricks, but maybe it's only the video reviews that don't get them excited. I can't wait to read about Malini - he's one of the real characters in magic!
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Who is writing and who is publishing the new Max Malini book?
Sounds very interesting.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2021, Quentin wrote:
Who is writing and who is publishing the new Max Malini book?
Sounds very interesting.

I should know the answer to the publisher, but frankly, I don't. It's being written by Steve Cohen.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2021, Dr. JK wrote:
I should know the answer to the publisher, but frankly, I don't. It's being written by Steve Cohen.

Thank you. I look forward to it.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Ordered the book because of your review!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Waiting for this to become available from a UK dealer. Shipping price from US is almost the same as the cost of the book itself. Maybe if Vanishing Inc are listening ????
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2021, Tim Hannig wrote:
Ordered the book because of your review!

Wow, thank you, Tim - enjoy!
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2021, D J Hawkins wrote:
Waiting for this to become available from a UK dealer. Shipping price from US is almost the same as the cost of the book itself. Maybe if Vanishing Inc are listening ????

You may be able to email Squash to see about their distribution plans.
corindaman
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Quote:

I have reached out to Vanishing Inc and they are indeed going to stock it soon. Watch their Website!!
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2021, corindaman wrote:
Quote:

I have reached out to Vanishing Inc and they are indeed going to stock it soon. Watch their Website!!

Thanks for researching this and reporting back!
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2021, corindaman wrote:
Quote:

Brilliant - thank you for saving me the huge shipping cost.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
corindaman
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of corindaman
I have contacted Murphy Magic who tell me that is unlikely to be released by Squash to other dealers for perhaps a year. So it seem we have to wait or pay the postage!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Fisher's Heroes of Magic (5 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL