The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » David Copperfield on Inventing Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
At this link on a _Gentlemen's Quarterly_ webpage is an article by David Copperfield titled "David Copperfield Breaks Down Magic Scenes from Movies."
https://www.gq.com/video/watch/the-break......bM9lbXXY

At about the 4:25 spot David comments that
-----quote-----
"Many people say there's seven pieces of magic, seven effects, and it's 100% not true. I'm with my amazing staff, inventing new technology all the time."
-----unquote-----

By "many people," I guess David means "many magicians who write about magic theory"--like Dariel Fitzkee, Al Schneider, Eberhard Riese etc.

I'm curious about what people he's talking about and who he meant by "many people." Inventing new technology is not necessarily the same as inventing a new effect.

My first thought is that what he's saying is similar perhaps to what Dariel Fitzkee was getting at in _The Trick Brain_, that there are a limited number of magic effects, such as:
--productions
--vanishes
--transformations (in color, size, etc)
--multiplication
--defying gravity
--psychic phenomena
--invulnerability

I'm expecting my copy of David's History of Magic any day now. Maybe one of the things he writes about in the book are the seven effects that he mentioned in the GQ article.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » David Copperfield on Inventing Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL