The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magic Circle Dealer Day (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
I normally go to this event but due to the Location it would have taken me too long to get to the venue

hopefully Magic Circle will consider going back to Royal National Hotel next year
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Personally I prefer to go somewhere, see the demos in person, chat to the dealer and walk away with the product in my hand. Same reason I like to go into town and look in the shops when buying things like clothes. The internet is great for getting a lot of stuff fairly quickly and sometimes cheaply but if it is available in a shop that I can get to without too much aggro or expense I prefer to pick it up in person.

The only reason I didn’t go to the dealers day is because the location was too far with no parking and I don’t NEED any new magic. Covid wasn’t really a concern for me any more than it was when I did my weekly shop in Asda or when I got my glasses adjusted in the opticians on Sunday and went in Moss Bros looking at suits. I also didn’t use Uber eats to get my Starbucks, I went into the one in the high st.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes totally agree with Mark, the only reason I wasn’t at the dealers day was because I was at Chessington World of adventures for 3 days with the family and doing some magic.
Covid restrictions were a non issue there wasn’t any at all, every ride was open and there was zero social distancing which I loved and probably 1 in 100 people had a mask on.
Everyone was quite rightly getting on with their lives and if you don’t like it stay at home, 99 out of 100 people at places like this feel the exactly the same. I have no concern about Covid, I have had my 2 jabs I am as fit as a butchers dog and I am happy to take Covid on and win. If I don’t so be it but I am certain I would beat it anyway.
The vulnerable should get jabbed, stay at home or stop whingeing imho Gaz 😊
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
The vulnerable should get jabbed, stay at home or stop whingeing imho Gaz 😊

Thank you for your concern. I'm triple-jabbed but an OAP, vulnerable and still cautious. Thanks to people like you I'm trapped at home.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Trapped at home - how? And how is that Gaz’s fault?
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
More than at any other time during the pandemic I am hearing of people close to me having Covid. Before it was distant - a niece's colleague's uncle for example. This time it's more direct. My friend and his family, my foster son's friend and his family, my other foster son's gf and her family with her father actually dying. It's not gone away, it's not in hiding, it's not in retreat and attitudes like Gaz's are partially why, IMHO.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Attitudes? What attitude? He’s basically saying either get on with life or stay home if people are that concerned. That is actually a fair attitude rather than being bias and pushing it from either side. Like the ridiculous comment above saying because of him is the reason someone is trapped at home 🤦🏻‍♂️ C’mon really
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Covid issues weren't present, there were no restrictions and zero social distancing. Don't you think that's rather a dangerous thing to be proud of being part of?

My wife has to shield because the medication she's on makes her immunosuppressed. I, therefore, have to be careful as do the rest of my household. But because some people don't give a flying **** we should stay at home? Because people don't like the inconvenience of wearing a mask or staying a reasonable distance from people?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes Chessington was packed, so will London aquarium be tomorrow and so is Harry Potter world on Thursday.
I am going to them all and very excited to be performing close up magic too.
I am busier than ever with my day job and magic and these places are packed.
The people who don’t want to go to these places have a clear choice don’t go it’s as simple as that.
I have had my 2 jabs and I am more than happy to now get on with the law of the land.
Others who wish not to don’t have to and I’m sure they probably don’t.
The reason I say that as like I said about 1 in 100 had masks on at Chessington and they were people from the Far East who would have had masks on 15 years ago in the UK anyway.
We all know if you have 2 jabs the chances of dying are close to zero so it’s something we are just going to have to live with going forward and most people realise that Gaz 😊
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2021, Magic__Ian wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2021, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Personally I prefer to go somewhere, see the demos in person, chat to the dealer and walk away with the product in my hand.

Fair enough. You're entitled to that preference. For me, I'd much prefer to not impact the world by adding to my carbon footprint, and especially would choose not to mingle in crowds during a pandemic.

I rarely have to add to my carbon footprint to go down the high street which is within walking distance. When it comes to my weekly shop my modern car has a much lesser carbon footprint than the big diesel lorry Asda would use to deliver my food if I chose to order online. Alas technology has not advanced to the point where I can download a kilo of King Edwards spuds!

If the double jabbed are not able to mingle then what was the point of getting jabbed? Either the vaccine works or it doesn’t.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
Me me me
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes I’m with the majority, move on and do what the Dr ordered or stay at home if you are concerned and /or refuse to take the vaccine.
Don’t fear life and actually in the process forget how to live, I guarantee you when you lay on your death bed you will never regret the things you’ve done.
You will only regret all the things you never got round to doing Gaz 😊
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I know I'd very much like NOT to be like Gaz, in almost every respect.

Yes and I’m miles better looking than you too. The jury isn’t even out on that one, so I love your clause of (in almost every aspect) Gaz 😊
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Glad to see the intellectual powerhouses of the magic Café showing their might yet again.

I despair.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Exactly if you are double jabbed you are less likely to catch covid, less likely to pass it on and unlikely to have anything other than mild symptoms if you do catch covid. Ergo mingle away as the risk is now minimal which was the point of the vaccine. Get vaccinated and get back to normal, that was the message. We are now at a point where over 90% of the U.K. population are vaccinated.

Sure there are some people who due to other conditions will always be at risk from respiratory diseases such as Covid and the Flu but we can’t permanently shut down society because a very small percentage of the population are vulnerable, we need to find ways to protect the vulnerable. Before the pandemic in 2017 we had 50,100 excess winter deaths in England and Wales, largely down to flu but we did not shut society down. Excess deaths so far in 2021 are at 28,500 which of course includes a chunk of winter deaths (Jan/Feb) but for the first 10 months of 2021 we have hit roughly half of the 3 month figure from 2017.

What is even more interesting is that excess winter deaths during the pandemic has been lower than pre-pandemic levels according to the office for national statistics. The following is quote is based on 2020 winter deaths.

“The excess winter mortality index (which is used to compare between sexes, age groups and geographical areas) in England was statistically significantly higher than for winter 2018 to 2019, but statistically significantly lower than the 2016 to 2017 and 2017 to 2018 winters.”

Unfortunately in the U.K. at least we have no way of knowing how many people have died from Covid because we count all deaths for any reason within 28 days of a positive test (including false positives) regardless of whether covid had any bearing.

We are almost certainly going to have to live with Covid forever just like influenza. As none of the vaccines give immunity we are unlikely to ever reach herd immunity so we are likely to need constant boosters until such time that covid mutates into a more harmless strain (there is already evidence of this happening) assuming that such a mutation becomes dominant.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2021, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Exactly if you are double jabbed you are less likely to catch covid, less likely to pass it on and unlikely to have anything other than mild symptoms if you do catch covid. Ergo mingle away as the risk is now minimal which was the point of the vaccine. Get vaccinated and get back to normal, that was the message. We are now at a point where over 90% of the U.K. population are vaccinated.

Sure there are some people who due to other conditions will always be at risk from respiratory diseases such as Covid and the Flu but we can’t permanently shut down society because a very small percentage of the population are vulnerable, we need to find ways to protect the vulnerable. Before the pandemic in 2017 we had 50,100 excess winter deaths in England and Wales, largely down to flu but we did not shut society down. Excess deaths so far in 2021 are at 28,500 which of course includes a chunk of winter deaths (Jan/Feb) but for the first 10 months of 2021 we have hit roughly half of the 3 month figure from 2017.

What is even more interesting is that excess winter deaths during the pandemic has been lower than pre-pandemic levels according to the office for national statistics. The following is quote is based on 2020 winter deaths.

“The excess winter mortality index (which is used to compare between sexes, age groups and geographical areas) in England was statistically significantly higher than for winter 2018 to 2019, but statistically significantly lower than the 2016 to 2017 and 2017 to 2018 winters.”

Unfortunately in the U.K. at least we have no way of knowing how many people have died from Covid because we count all deaths for any reason within 28 days of a positive test (including false positives) regardless of whether covid had any bearing.

We are almost certainly going to have to live with Covid forever just like influenza. As none of the vaccines give immunity we are unlikely to ever reach herd immunity so we are likely to need constant boosters until such time that covid mutates into a more harmless strain (there is already evidence of this happening) assuming that such a mutation becomes dominant.

Mark

Absolutely ,well said Mark ,a sensible post on it sir.
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
I've no idea what the last dozen or so posts have to do the the MC dealers day!

So, back on topic, did anyone who went pick up anything worthy of note, apart from Covid?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2021, Doric wrote:
Turnout was ok. One of my group performed a LFT today as a requirement for a hospital appointment tomorrow and has tested positive for covid. He was maskless for most of the day and may have carried it in with him, he was there for a good few hours chatting with dealers and attendees, so I'd advise anyone else who was there to test themselves.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle Black lmao.
You started the Covid rumour on the 2nd post on the thread 🤷‍♂️.
I don’t think there was anything ground breaking there judging by the 3 pages of posts here Gaz 😊
Ps yes great post from Mark, a lot people on here don’t seem to know their a.s from their elbows when it comes to facts on such topics. Fortunately he and others do
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
Did you buy anything?
quantum_swami
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of quantum_swami
I attended with a friend and had a great afternoon! I thought the venue was good in all fairness. I agree the National Hotel felt better suited in previous years but if that wasn't available this time around, I'd say the school hall was a very good compromise. I'm grateful for the Magic Circle putting it on.

In response to people's COVID protocol concerns, I really don't think they could have done much more. Their hands are tied. Try as you might, social distancing rules are NEVER gonna work at a magic convention!

If a dealer is demoing a good trick, it's going to attract a crowd. Good luck trying to socially distance dealer demos in a small room. There must have been a dozen people shoulder to shoulder at each stand when I arrived.

Some dealers were wearing masks, most weren't. But ironically, I was having to lean in far closer to those wearing masks because it was very loud in there and the masks prevented me from hearing the magicians clearly and prevented me from lip reading. (And masks leak your infected aerosol particles a LOT - they're basically useless)

So you're ***ed if you do and ***ed if you don't.

So what's the answer?

I see three options:

1. Events like these go ahead but only with VERY STRICT covid protocols - I.E limited numbers, strict two metre rules, one way systems, etc.

2. Events like this don't go ahead at all

3. Events like these go ahead like they did at the Dealer Day with ventilation as best as it could be, sanitiser available on each table and the attendees are left to their own devices.

In my opinion, option 1 would suck all fun from an event and would be uneconomical for the organisers and dealers with less attendees.

Option 2 is very sad, seeing as we were promised that a vaccine was the way out of this mess and we have a whopping ~90% vaccinated.

Option 3 is in my opinion the best option. I accept some people will disagree, but the realty is COVID is probably going to be with us for many years to come, possibly forever. So if we don't start living life again now, then when? I may as well give up magic and take up another hobby if I can no longer perform close up to anyone and vice versa.

Quentin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magic Circle Dealer Day (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL