The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Folding the flags for mismade flag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Hi all,

Well, the mis-made flag set from Laflin arrived yesterday. I purchased the larger set, 24"x36". I think the size is great and would recommend that anyone considering getting a set go with larger one for a few dollars more if you can afford it. I stayed up way too late last night playing with it and trying out routine ideas in the mirror and scripting patter.

A couple of questions for the silk experts out there: In setting up the loads I folded them so that I could easily reach the upper left corner. I felt by doing this It would be easier to hold the flag up properly. The problem is, at the bgining of the presentation, it does not look too bad. However, by the time the 2nd mis-made flag goes back in it looks like I am smuggling a baby Elephant in a cloth bag. Should I be rolling the loads tighter from the start? What about when I put the various silks/flags back in to change them, how do you keep them from bulging?

I am using Laflin’s tear apart change bag. It’s inside dimensions are approximately 10.5 inches deep by 8.5 inches wide. There should be no “thickness” measurement, right? Is this bag too small for 24x36” silks? Any recommendations? For a variety of reasons I do not want a bag on a stick that is so commonly seen.

Thanks for your help & comments

P.S. To Richard Hugh's: thanks for your time on the phone yesterday. I am looking forward to recieving the DVD you are sending me.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bruce,

Sew a small bead in the top corner that goes in the right hand. Then you can feel when you have it in the correct hand.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Bob,
That makes a lot of sense and I will do it ASAP. It will make it a lot easier to make sure I am bringing it correctly.

The real proble for me is:
Quote:
On 2004-06-22 06:47, fccfp wrote:
At the begining of the presentation, it does not look too bad. However, by the time the 2nd mis-made flag goes back in it looks like I am smuggling a baby Elephant in a cloth bag. Should I be rolling the loads tighter from the start? What about when I put the various silks/flags back in to change them, how do you keep them from bulging?

I am using Laflin’s tear apart change bag. It’s inside dimensions are approximately 10.5 inches deep by 8.5 inches wide. There should be no “thickness” measurement, right? Is this bag too small for 24x36” silks? Any recommendations? For a variety of reasons I do not want a bag on a stick that is so commonly seen.

Thanks for your help & comments

Regards,
Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Bruce:

Yes, I think the tear-apart bag you are using is too small for the big silks. I have the same set as you, and use a much larger change bag with handle (P&L style). I use the large Harries version - you can see it at the Hocus-Pocus website or at Harries directly. It works perfectly for the big silks, and I even have room for a 36 inch "The End" silk.

Ron
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ron is correct, use a change bag or get one of the wonderful Baker style dye tubes from Silk King Studios. They are selling for a very good price currently and I think the dye tube method adds more mystery to the trick.

This would be to roll a large sheet of construction paper and have the silks pass thru to create the change.

Very soon Stoner's Magic will have their magic web site up with live videos available to watch how this trick and others are performed. Check back with them in the next few weeks.

http://www.stoners.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Ron,
any particular reason for the change bag with a stick? Just as a matter of preferance I was trying to avoid them. However, if that's the only way I can get the size I need, I will just have to by one.

Anyone familiar with the Laflin's deluxe change bag?.

Thanks for the help.
Now, How should I fold the silks themselves? accordianstyle or wound?
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Bruce:

I don't have any problem using the "proppy" magic change bag. I do the routine strictly in my children's show, so I like colorful, magic looking things. The Harries Bag is sequined - looks like a bag Liberace would use. It's great!

Concerning the Laflin Deluxe Change Bag: I have that too. It seems I have taken the same mismade flag journey as you! Anyway, it's made in India and is surprisingly good. Looks nice and works smoothly. It is perfect for the small flag set (I bought that too) but too small for your large set. You'll still get the buldge you're trying to avoid.

The change bag I have isn't listed at Hocus-Pocus anymore, but go to http://www.harriesmagic.com and take a look. It's the "large" model. It's about $150.00, but I'm very happy with it. I even bought a rather expensive P&L model on ebay, and it really was too small.

Ron
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
With the wide variety of changing / switching devices out there, you don't only have to think of using a change bag.

I transform 3 36" silks to a 72" silk, in a square circle. Of course, that's just one possibility. Genii Tube, Dove Pan, Crystal Production Tube, Switch Can, Crystal Silk Cylinder, Duane Laflin's AVC Box, etc. And if you think about it, any of those items can be used for multiple changes, with the right thought. There are a ton of others.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I forgot to mention on my other post that a good way load the flags (in the change bag with a stick) is to lay the flag over the opening, and push it down. Then push in the four corners; this keeps things in order without giving the silk a folded look. I learned this method from a Dave Risley lecture.

Ron
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Thanks for the recommendations
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Folding the flags for mismade flag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL