The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Name this Effect: Rope, Finger Ring, Handkerchief (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
I'm trying to remember the name for this effect. I used to perform it years ago but have forgotten the handling.

Essential it is a finger ring to rope. The two ends of the rope are held by spectators, the magician takes a borrowed finger ring, places a handkerchief over his hands and the ring.
In a moment he asks the one of the spectators to pull the rope and outcomes the finger ring (It is either tied in a knot on the rope or threaded on it).

I do remember a bit of the handling involving a specific !@#$** placement. Any ideas?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Your description seems to what the spectator would "see"

There are different ways to accomplish a ring onto/off a rope while the ends are being held. The exact method (and the *name* of the effect) depends on the details. (there are some in Tarbell, and other books, or it could involve the p[purchase an expensive prop.

Do you know where you saw this explained? or did you just see it performed?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Thanks for the reply John Smile

I think I saw Daryl perform the effect, but I don't remember the name. I remember it had an exotic sounding name, but can't recall anything else.

It has been a few years, since I saw the effect.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember an old magic shop/D. Robbins mail-order type trick called the HO-LA-MA Coin Trick. This involved one Chinese coin (size of a quarter), a ribbon & a handkerchief, plus an optional safety pin*.

The presentation began with the ribbon being stretched on the table parallel to the performer; the handkerchief then covered the ribbon leaving both ends of the ribbon extending from the handkerchief. The coin was placed under the handkerchief by the performer and the spectator(s) given the ends of the ribbon to preclude any sneaky maneuvering on the part of the performer.

When the handkerchief was removed, the coin was found to be threaded on the ribbon!
(Of course, a borrowed ring could be substituted for the Chinese coin.)

*The handling as described and illustrated on the display cardboard that came with the coin and ribbon (no box) and the instructions printed on the back of same included the reveal with the ribbon having the pin attached to the ribbon; this resulted in a short loop being formed and the coin attached to that loop.

The spectator might think there was something "tricky" about the safety pin making it look like the coin was on the ribbon when it really wasn't, soooo the performer would make a deliberate set of actions, very openly unpinning the loop and the coin would remain threaded on the ribbon. (The safety pin actually makes the trick easier to do.)

It's a good trick that I'm pretty sure has been described in several early publications under other names.

'Hope this helps.

Julie
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The approach that Julie mentioned is called Sefalaljia; and may be the method closest to what you were thinking of.

It can be found in the Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, or Wilson's The complete course in Magic, but under a different name.

It may be in one of the 3 volumes of Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Made Easy (I just don;t have access to it at the moment)

and, no special props are used

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Thanks Julie and John!

Your descriptions and suggestions are great and it helped me located the effect. It was the Hindu Ring on Rope! I found it in one of the Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Made Easy.

I'll have to look up the other effect, Julie, I like the idea of the safety pin Smile
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Glad you found what you were looking for.

Yes, that is Daryl's version of Sefalalgia. There are handlings where the spectator holds the ends (but they need to let go just before the rope is pulled out from under the silk.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Though I have never seen it mentioned in an effect description, some methods would allow you to switch a ring on the rope for one not on yet.

I have done this with larger rings but not tried it with finger rings. Why not?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Sounds like an intriguing effect. Do you have demo?

While thinking of that, I had a vague recollection of something like that..

I don't have time now to search it out, but I'll list some effects published in
Fulve's Self-Working Rope Magic that at least hints at this (and an effect that I
I can't fully remember.

Miller's Move, p123;
Hummering I & 2 p125 +,
Releaso p127

Telekinetic Ring p130
Releaso p127
Locked in Place 135

None of the above involve swapping one ring for another, (but my thinking is that if you can start with one ring "on" in the appropriate way, you could in theory take it off and put another on. Maybe that was your thinking too?)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Great comments, I'm familiar with Selfalalgia, but did not make that connection. That would be a great effect Funsway. I like finger rings because unlike watches and other items they are very common. You can always find someone wearinf a finger ring (a 2.5 inch ring, not so much lol).
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember doing this with curtain rings (gold plated looking plastic) 1" or so in diameter...

Julie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Name this Effect: Rope, Finger Ring, Handkerchief (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL