The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Nightmare Alley (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1447 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Has anyone seen the film trailer to Nightmare Alley set for a December 17th release date? This film looks way too cool.

Gerry
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Veteran user
Behind the Midway
359 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Love Guillermo Del Toro, but thos will be remaking a classic. Hope it is good. Taking a wait and see attitude.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
The book is my favorite and the original film was good, but not as good as the book. It will be interesting to see what del Torro’s take on it will be. The casting is very good and the visuals are stunning.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Veteran user
Behind the Midway
359 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
I was shocked when I finally got to read the book. It is excellent. I would think, well before its time.
dkelten
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of dkelten
Guillermo Del Toro has done some remarkable movies, it would not surprise me to find that I love this when it does come out
MysticJohn
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
I remember Bob Cassidy talking about the original film as a must see. Cant wait the see this new version.
bubbles
View Profile
New user
The 5th Dimension
84 Posts

Profile of bubbles
They new version is very Del Toro. A visually brilliant dark and sometimes gory masterpiece.
If you are looking for realism or history then you're not looking for this, but if you are looking for a disgustingly beautiful dream you'll love it.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4944 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I lover your avatar bubbles! Subtly sinister.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2667 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I saw this movie over the weekend. I loved it. I think it captured the essence of the book very well. I especially liked Cate Blanchett as the psychologist.

But I think it will be even better in black and white:

https://www.slashfilm.com/711428/black-a......theaters
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3319 Posts

Profile of gaddy
A lot of people say that the 1947 film Tyrone Power character was based on Alexander Conlin AKA "The Man Who Knows"
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1293 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2021, gaddy wrote:
A lot of people say that the 1947 film Tyrone Power character was based on Alexander Conlin AKA "The Man Who Knows"

Who exactly says that?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3319 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2021, reese wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2021, gaddy wrote:

Who exactly says that?

Ever think to ASK FOR instead of DEMAND answers, bruh?

Here's your stinkin' links, try not to fall over backwards on them:
https://travsd.wordpress.com/2018/06/30/......o-knows/
https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen......ory.html
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1293 Posts

Profile of reese
Sorry man, I wasn't very articulate. I had never heard that before and was just curious about it.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3319 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Well, I apologize for not assuming best intent.

I've been spending a lot of time on Twitter lately where everyone is so combative that it's easiest to see things as rude (because they usually are) rather than just shortened for internet-speak.

Just yesterday I got blocked by someone on Twitter that I was agreeing with. I'm pretty sure they blocked me because I wasn't <i>agreeing with them strongly enough</i>. So it's really another world out there as opposed to the bizarre magic forum on the Café where we all mostly get along.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1293 Posts

Profile of reese
Well, we're on the sane page ( for better or worse ) I can't wait to see the new movie. Gonna wait until I can see it in my cave. Take care of you and y'all.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2975 Posts

Profile of 252life
Ditto gents. The toxicity is contagious. I just full on fell victim to it myself.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2975 Posts

Profile of 252life
(^^ to be clear, I was the idiot, and man did it suck to realize.)
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
MysticJohn
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
Actually watched the original on TCM, loved it, I immediately purchased the DVD from Amazon. Im a big fan of classics and B&W films, don't know how I missed this one. I will be checking out the remake as well.
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
514 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
I saw the new version of Nightmare Alley last weekend. I was disappointed, I was hoping it would be closer to the book than the original 1947 movie which is a CLASSIC. I love the book and the original movie is great. The new movie is an hour longer than the original movie but spends less time on the "mentalism" aspect of the story which is my favorite part of the book. There is a lot of stuff in the book that could not be included in a 1947 movie so I hoped the new version would go deeper into it. Instead, the story was changed in a few parts. That's normal when making a movie "based on a book" rather than making a movie "of the book." Many people love the new movie, especially people who are not familiar with the book or the orignal movie. I think it's similar to "The Shining." Many people (inclcuding me) love the movie, but Stephen King (author of the book) and many fans of the book hated it because Kubrick changed the story.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2667 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
A black and white version of the new film has started to play in some parts of the USA.

I plan on seeing it tomorrow at the Alamo Drafthouse in Brooklyn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Nightmare Alley (30 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL