The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Nightmare Alley (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2667 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I saw the black and white version yesterday.
They're calling it Nightmare Alley: Vision in Darkness and Light.

In my opinion, the carnival scenes are better in color but black and white fits perfectly with the latter part of the film- in scenes with the psychologist and in scenes where snow is falling.
professortango
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of professortango
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2022, Investigative Mentalist wrote:
I saw the new version of Nightmare Alley last weekend. I was disappointed, I was hoping it would be closer to the book than the original 1947 movie which is a CLASSIC. I love the book and the original movie is great. The new movie is an hour longer than the original movie but spends less time on the "mentalism" aspect of the story which is my favorite part of the book. There is a lot of stuff in the book that could not be included in a 1947 movie so I hoped the new version would go deeper into it. Instead, the story was changed in a few parts. That's normal when making a movie "based on a book" rather than making a movie "of the book." Many people love the new movie, especially people who are not familiar with the book or the orignal movie. I think it's similar to "The Shining." Many people (inclcuding me) love the movie, but Stephen King (author of the book) and many fans of the book hated it because Kubrick changed the story.

I enjoyed it more than the original, but I too wanted to like the movie more. After watching it, I think it needs to be a miniseries because I felt that Del Torro's long film was still too short to tell the story of this character's rise and fall. I also wanted more darkness towards the end.

Give me a 5-6 hour miniseries and I'll be a happy man. They can spend the first 2-2.5 hours just at the carnival with him working his way from a roustabout to a major source of inspiration and showmanship.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2316 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
THE 1947 B&W original film is A Classic but this Remake vwersion was a real treat to watch, Now available on Hulu

I watched it last night, then emailed my daughter and recommended it to her

Extremely well acted and filmed.

It may be a sin here to say this, but I think DelToro actually elevated the orininal

Kotah
Bastien
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Bastien
This is a very beautiful and haunting film. I felt the early scenes were especially immersive. It felt like I was right there sitting in a rainy carnival while old timey jazz played in the background. A must watch for any bizarrist/mentalist IMO.

It's a shame it's not doing well at the box office, because I would love to see more movies like this being made. But I believe this will become a modern classic that people rediscover again in a few years.
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1582 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Some good comments here, all.

For my part, I prefer not to see either the old or the new as film versions of the book, but rather as reimaginings of the book. The book, which stands so superbly on its own, becomes a stepping stone for two related-by-origin but different stories, Which leaves the door open for more of the same.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I saw the remake last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. A very short scene made a lasting memory...this was when the older mentalist (David Straithorn) gave a warning to avoid the dark side where "people can be hurt". I love mentalist acts that make me wonder, "how'd he or she do that?" ie the same feeling I love about all forms of magic. Relatedly, I love spoon/metal bending magic; yet it does bother me that the internet is full of people who actually believe someone can bend a spoon with their mind. Lynn
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Veteran user
Behind the Midway
359 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
FINALLY got to see the new NIGHTMARE ALLEY today.

There is the book, there is the classic B&W original, and there is now this.

I thought it was beautiful and well acted. I thought it expanded upon the original and gave us something new. I don't usually like remakes,and I think it is a dis service to call this a remake.

But I thoroughly enjoyed it if anyone cares about my opinion (and you shouldn't).

:)
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17861 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Dinner and a movie at my place with the wife!!!! Date night at home... She fell asleep. Having read the book and watched the original I don't blame her. The photography was awesome but not enough to put it all together... I agree a Mini-Series would have been much better... Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Veteran user
Behind the Midway
359 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
For anyone with Direct TV, there is they a free HBO weekend and I noticed the new "Nightmare Alley" is on at least twice.
The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Regular user
The City of Lights
167 Posts

Profile of The Supernaturalist
I need to read the book (let's face it, the book is always better than themovie- imagination always wins). Loved the classic. This was dark, but a beautifully filmed version. Excellent acting and every scene looked almost like a painting it was so clean and classy. Can't beat Tyrone and the original, but it was visually wonderful to watch.
Mini-series? TAKE MY MONEY NOW!
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2975 Posts

Profile of 252life
Nominated as the feel good movie of the year.... Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Nightmare Alley (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL