The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Faro...Up or Down (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
93 Posts

Profile of David_N
Hi Everyone.

I recently decided it was time to start learning the Faro shuffle after buying a used copy of Harry Lorayne's 'Close-Up Card Magic' on Ebay.

I have also recently purchased the re-issue of Ed Marlo's 'Revolutionary Card Technique'.

My problem...Mr. Lorayne explains the correct way to do the Faro shuffle is by doing it from the top down however Mr. Marlo states that the best way to perform it is to do it from the bottom up.

I have no mentor to advise me on this. Are there any technical superiorities between the two and should I favour one method over the other?
FaroFaroFaro
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of FaroFaroFaro
I don’t think it matters which way you faro, it’s what works for you. I learnt to do it bottom up, just because I found it easier at the time I was learning and maybe the cards I learnt (standard bicycle riders).
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
The cards play a big role in the Faro Shuffle. Some cards weave better top-down, some better bottom-up. I prefer bottom-up and therefore I select cards which facilitate that. In my experience, the cards which are "traditionally cut" work best for my purposes. Traditionally cut means when the cards are cut from the sheet, they are face-up in relation to the cutting dies. This creates a slight taper on the edge of the card and that taper helps the cards to weave reliably.

The superior method isn't top-down or bottom-up but the one you can do repeatedly and reliably.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I learned the Marlo method i.e. bottom up. It turns out that there are applications of the faro that require a bottom up. It'd be good to be able to do it both ways just in case. Also of note is that the bottom up mimics a normal riffle shuffle where the bottom cards go first.

M
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
I always found it easier from the top down.
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
IF you faro from the bottom up, then Bicycle cards are suitable for this. Seems like they changed their cutting process some years ago. Phoenix faro well from the top down. Best advice: Learn it both ways. It's not that difficult to change.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
If it has to be a faro from the bottom up I will just faro the cards face up with the new Bikes.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
I prefer top down, but like many things you learn, it will ultimately depend on which way you start learning it and how often you practice. If it’s an incomplete Faro, then the nature of the effect might dictate whether it’s top or bottom. Whether you’re doing an in or out Faro might also affect the end you want to start with. It won’t hurt to become proficient at both, but just keep practicing. A new deck out of the box or a soiled deck will make it difficult.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
ThomasJ pointed out the Incomplete Faro location. There are situations where you have to shuffle bottom up to be sure the location will work. There are workarounds, but bottom up is probably a better solution.

M
kardillusions
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, AB
544 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
Personally, I've always preferred top down, and I use Bicycle cards. I've found that for everything I've had to use a faro shuffle for, it hasn't mattered all that much- what does matter is getting the in vs. out correct. For the FUJ Shuffle (faro utility jog) it also doesn't matter.

Scott.
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Instagram: @hermitmagicmag
Subscribe today!
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Get comfortable with both. No need to handicap yourself when learning a new technique.
PS there are many effects to explore where the initial top or bottom weaves are critical.
ScarneAce
View Profile
Regular user
In a Galaxy far, far away...
150 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
I've found Bicycles faro better from bottom up where as Tally hos faro better top down
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
93 Posts

Profile of David_N
Thank you to everyone for your valuable advice which is much appreciated. I believe I will work on both versions and the chapters on Faro in 'Revolutionary Card Technique' will give me much to study on this sleight.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I, too, am a top-down faro guy. Just a quick note that CardShark's Phoenix deck are always standard cut so they faro perfectly top down. Another quick tip: until you get comfortable with both methods of faro, if you find a deck particularly difficult to work with, then turn it face up and try again. You will likely find everything works much easier.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Faro...Up or Down (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL