The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Has anyone seen preview for T.H.E.M (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rayg1952
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of rayg1952
I thought T.H.E.M was kind of lame it remind me of candid camera and I like candid camera better, there was way to much BS and not enough magic, on a 1 to 10 scale i,ve give it a 3.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-06-24 13:55, LBP MAGIC wrote:
Where can you buy cap in bottel? Also does anybody know where you can learn the effect when he spells THEM with that spilled ink? When I say learn I mean buy a gaff, book, DVD etc.

You can buy the cap in bottle routine from most magic dealers. I believe it is called or at least one version is called "purified water" or "water purification." It averages $17- $20 if I remember correctly.
NazeDude
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of NazeDude
Yeah, but the version that guy did of the bottle cap in bottle was full of water. I've never seen that before. If you know how the "purified water" works...then its kind of trippy how that magician was able to do it with water in the bottle! Brilliant

For all of you out there who keep posting notes about THEM being disappointing ... your opinions are not shared my the majority. AOL voted THEM as one of the top 5 television hits. See for yourself if you use AOL http://aolsvc.aol.com/entertainment/tv/top5/top5_main.adp
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2004-06-25 00:54, NazeDude wrote:
For all of you out there who keep posting notes about THEM being disappointing ... your opinions are not shared my the majority. AOL voted THEM as one of the top 5 television hits. See for yourself if you use AOL http://aolsvc.aol.com/entertainment/tv/top5/top5_main.adp

Nazedude, don't even worry about what people think on this board. Doing shows for real people is all that counts and getting a show on the air is hitting a lot of real people at the same time.
So congrats if you're one of THEM. By the way, if you check around the site you'll see that the same nonsense has started. The "why I hate it" or "It could have been better" speeches. Everyone seems to think they know what's best, but they don't seem to be getting national publicity.
By the way, I've never gotten national publicity for doing magic or my own show, but I refuse to bad-mouth others in my field when they succeed in getting their stuff done.
Also, as I predicted it would happen, you can start seeing the trend of "where can I buy (fill in the trick here) that was done on the show THEM." More lemmings rushing to the edge.
Oh, well. I'll go work on something original now.
Good luck with future shows. I hope you smoke them in the ratings because that's always a plus.
Greg Smile
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Greg
I agree with almost everything you said, but you calling other magicians lemmings. I am one of those lemmings that wants to learn how to do one of their effects. What is the big deal? You see an effect that impressed you and you want to learn it. Have other magicians inspired you? Is everyting you do original? I would guess that it isn't.

We should change our name from magicians to Lemmings I guess. Join the Club of Lemmings Greg! Come on in the water is fine.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2004-06-25 08:57, LBP MAGIC wrote:
Greg
I agree with almost everything you said, but you calling other magicians lemmings. I am one of those lemmings that wants to learn how to do one of their effects. What is the big deal? You see an effect that impressed you and you want to learn it. Have other magicians inspired you? Is everyting you do original? I would guess that it isn't.

We should change our name from magicians to Lemmings I guess. Join the Club of Lemmings Greg! Come on in the water is fine.

I guess I got lucky and at an early age learned from the pros and how they usually worked. I grew up in Miami and my mentors were Paul Diamond and Fantasio. I learned early on NOT to try and do what everyone else was doing. NOT to copy what others just did. TRY to be as original as possible. READ everything that was out there because that's where the true treasures can be found.
As for the lemmings part, well, that's a general statement, but it's ashame that I can make it and it comes true so often. If you read through many of the posts about THEM you will see guys starting to ask, "Where can I buy this effect?" or "How was such and such done."... now, usually, an older magician answers by saying something like, "That effect can be found in Tarbell.."
What does that prove? That most people don't want to do the research themselves. They want some other guy to invent it, or discover it, or may a cool presentation around it, then they will want it.
Instead of now seeking what you saw on that show, think abou this... say to yourself, "Wow, I never knew that something like that existed. I wonder what else is out there that I've never heard about?" Then go out and seek something that you've never seen perform because others have passed it up.
It's too easy to watch something on TV and say, "I want to do that" because then you'll just be a lemming. Think about all the thousands of others that now want to do that... do you want to be seen as just a copy of them or THEM... or do you want to be known for doing something that no one else is doing or doing in quite the same way? It's up to you to decide.
I've hung around with a couple of THEM... they always strive for the NEW... for the DIFFERENT. Cyril is one of my Bottle customers and he is always looking for something that stands out from the norm. As a matter of fact, the thing that bothers him the most is that his TV show in Japan always wants him to do something similar to Blaine so he has to fight a bit to get some of his stuff on.
Look at Danny Cole's act on stage and close up... original ideas, original presentations, etc. He worked at making himself stand out from the pack... from the lemmings.
I'm sure you think I'm wrong, but that's okay. Do I have an act that's completely original? No? Do I have an act that has some effects that others do? Yes. But in both cases I have some effects that are mine and some effects that have been done by others, but I've put a whole new spin on them. It took me time to develop these things. I turned down others simply because too many others were doing it. I've changed effects enough that now others are asking to do it my way. Isn't that what you would want? To get to the point that others now want to copy you.
I'm lucky... I hang out with many of the unique minds for the magic community because I live a block away from the Magic Castle. Maybe that has spoiled me because all I see are guys trying to put a new spin on things or coming up with new effects and methods. I hang out with a group that would rather spend their day in the Castle library looking up effects and methods than going to the local magic shop and seeing "what's new".
I'll tell you a little story: Recently at the Magic Castle Olympics one guy had everyone talking. He did something that all the young guys were buzzing about. Was it some new hotshot in Magic? No. It was Pete Biro and he did a paddle trick. This paddle trick is probably older than you, but most of the guys had never seen it and they definitely never saw Pete's handling of it. Now they all want to do it.
Search your library for something that no one else does. Look at the effects you do now that maybe others also do, but come up with a unique handling or presentation.
I do Twisted Sisters in my close up act, but it's got a unique presentation that now most guys tell me I should write it up. I don't think it's that different, but I did take some time to work on all the details. I had Pavel's Walking Knot for over two years before I used it because I wanted to come up with an idea that was not what everyone else was doing... and finally I came up with it so I presented it that way... totally different from what the instructions say or others do with it.
I'll get off my soapbox now because I know that no matter what I say these things will always happen. I'm sure when the next David Blaine comes along everyone will want to be like that guy or do what that guy does. I'm old enough to have seen the throngs of Henning wannabe's, the David Copperfield clones and now the Blainiacs. England, I heard, has the Derren Brown soldiers and I'm sure we get them if his shows played here. Myself, I want to do my own thing and it gives me pleasure.
Sorry if I ruffled some feathers... I guess I'll keep my mouth shut on this subject from now on because I know it will continue to happen and it's a waste of time.
I wish you guys well in whatever you decide.
Greg Smile
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
I am not saying that we should not try and be as original as possible. And yes it is a shame when somebody walks around doing nothing but Blaine, Copperfield etc. My point was that every magician must be a lemming, because no matter how original you are it dates back to the beggining of magic. Basically we are all copying somebody in one way or another. Yes we change the presentation etc.

We should try and get away from doing the norm, but doing one trick that you saw on T.V. is not that big of deal. I would not do the same presentation, but I liked the effect and want to perform it. I appreciate your input you are obviously a very knowledgable magician.

And yes you are spoiled if you live a few miles from the Magic Castle.

Really I agree with what you are saying Greg I see the problem with becoming a clone of another magician. But I don't feel like I am a lemming. If I am then we all are.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
LBP, I didn't direct it at you, but at the general feeling I get whenever I get on this board right after something has played on TV.
I'm sure a lot of magicians get inspired by others or decide that a trick they saw was something that could work in their act. My only problem is when the thinking stops right after that. When you see something that is a great effect then keep thinking on how it would work with your style. How could you tweek it so it became something almost unique because of your presentation. Remember, the Needle thru the Arm was around for a long time, but when Harry Anderson did his spin on it then the market was flooded with guys wanting to do that same effect. Now, I'm sure there will be a large group of guys looking at tools to do the same effect as it was done on THEM.
And LBP, if you actually see a problem with becoming a clone of another magician then you are not even close to being a lemming. The lemmings are the guys that still will not see what the point of our arguments are since they feel it's okay to do an act that is just bits & pieces of everyone else's acts.
So I'll see you by the sunny shore and not the edge of the cliff.
Greg
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
I like the sunny shore, but sometimes the water is great! Smile

By the way next time I go to California can you hook me up with tickets to the Magic Castle?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
LBP, tell me any time you come out here and I'll get you inside the Castle. No problem.
Greg
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
The reason I liked THEM so much is quite simply when I watch magic on TV, I take of my magicians hat, sit down and enjoy the show, no analysis, no critique, just sheer enjoyment of a darn good helping of magic. GREAT!!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Kinesis...

Me too Smile

Nathan Pain
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Kinesis & Nathan, I'm right there with you so pass the popcorn.
Greg
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Has anyone seen preview for T.H.E.M (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL