The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Idea for mentalists (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Here's an idea for mentalists, or metal benders (I 'coined' the phrase Metalism - get it?) or anyone I guess. Claim that you were struck by lightning and that only then did you develop these 'powers'. Not bad. You can expand it to include that you had amnesia for a while, and then noticed you had these new powers. Heck, go all the way..."I was in a coma for a while, then had amnesia. I still don't know my real name! You don't think Voltarin is my real name do you?" Etc. Get the sympathy vote. I mean, invisible thread tricks, any telekenesis trick, mindreading, hypnosis, predictions are the weakest tricks, but with this presentation, hey!
It is a backstory! Voltarin - The Man Who Was Struck by Lightning! He'll make your hair stand on end! (O.k. I'm done)
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
"I was struck by lightning" is a great opening line, I'm sorry.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
Here's an idea for mentalists, or metal benders (I 'coined' the phrase Metalism - get it?) or anyone I guess. Claim that you were struck by lightning and that only then did you develop these 'powers'. Not bad. You can expand it to include that you had amnesia for a while, and then noticed you had these new powers. Heck, go all the way..."I was in a coma for a while, then had amnesia. I still don't know my real name! You don't think Voltarin is my real name do you?" Etc. Get the sympathy vote. I mean, invisible thread tricks, any telekenesis trick, mindreading, hypnosis, predictions are the weakest tricks, but with this presentation, hey!
It is a backstory! Voltarin - The Man Who Was Struck by Lightning! He'll make your hair stand on end! (O.k. I'm done)

Great idea, especially for PK type effects.

Also pain tolerance stunts.

Good thinking. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Indeed! Also magnetic effects...metal clings to fingertips, spoon clings to nose.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Another opening line for mentalists...since maybe people don't really believe in NLP or other things, premises - come out and say (good if you wear glasses) not only do I have google-glasses, but I also have one of the early brain implants. Then just start doing amazing things! I'm a believer in breaking the ice with some strange patter line that just might be cutting edge real stuff.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I have studied dreams a long time, and I know of several routines that mention various things, numbers etc., that you saw in a dream. Lately I've been thinking that that is a good premise for a mental routine...trying to explain how your power works, to the audience..."I saw it in a dream".
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
"Must Read" for dream patter as explanation of mentalism powers - The Art of Dreaming by Carlos Castaneda. Sigmund Freud has much on dream analysis. Also look up Lucid Dreaming.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
On another topic, I am reminded that both Dunninger and Kreskin had managers or "advance men" who were also "information gatherers". Someday remind me to tell you some interesting "information gathering" methods for mentalism shows.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I am going to try to describe Kreskin's use of his seating chart for his TV show. He did some set pieces...often trick decks and such that you could find at a magic shop. But, then he had a section where he had the evidence in plain view for how he did supposed "cold readings" of people in the audience. He held a clipboard and his explanation was that he liked to jot down stray ideas. He also kept putting his glasses on and off, so when he was looking out into the audience or when he was looking at his crib sheet on the clipboard. Yes, somehow he had a seating chart with at least the initials of the person sitting in each seat, and also information about their address, and other things.

The way he put his glasses on and off made me realize he had a crib sheet there. How did the info get there? Well, this was the early days of TV and certainly mentalism on TV. So, somehow tickets were obtained and the tickets had a seat and aisle number on them. An usher had them sit in the correct seats.

I made a leap to guess the tickets were obtained through the mail, so they would also have their address. Kreskin and his advance man/manager.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
A good opening line helps. My latest idea is to come out and announce "I was abducted by aliens. I don't remember anything about any "probes" or anything, but ever since, I've found that I have "Second Sight. The 'Shine"". "That's right, I can read a serial number off a 100 dollar bill, blindfolded, with it in an envelope. Except nobody has any $100 bills!". I don't know. I'm just trying to help. Having something to say right when you walk in is good. Thanks for looking.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Another opening line I like is "Hello. I'm from the future." "I'm not here to warn you about anything. Actually it is about these books for what we call a 'Book Test', to see if you are ready for life 'in the future'". Something like that.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I came up with a few new bits for the I was struck by lightning icebreaker. "Hello. I was struck by lightning. I hate it when that happens. The silver lining behind the dark cloud is that now I can read minds. Some of you don't believe me. I'll prove it."

Just came to me as I was waking up and before I make coffee. Always write things down or you'll forget them.
AlxRosekoski
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of AlxRosekoski
I also thought of something. You say you were struck by lightning and now you can pick up on electric waves emitted by the brain when it’s thinking really hard. To prove it you pull out a metal rod and tell the spectator to hold it. You also hold it. Then they think of something like a card they picked earlier and you read their mind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Idea for mentalists (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL