We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help finding appropriate sleight/gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
I am a budding mentalist and need some help with a trick that uses a coin. I need a sleight (and or gimmick) and I hope to get some pointers.

The trick that I want to do is a follow up to an effect in which the performer repeatedly guesses the hand a spectator is hiding a coin in.

The follow up to this, that I have in mind, is a reversal in which the spectator is able to correctly guess which hand the performer is holding the coin, and to do as well as the performer did.

So I need a sleight or gimmick that allows me to display the coin in the same hand the spectator picks and to open the other hand to display it empty. I want to be able to repeat this several times (note that the hands go behind the back between trials) and I would prefer it if the spectator can watch the opening of the hand (do bear in mind that you have time for some funny business when you open the first hand, the one the spectator selects).

I hope this description is clear enough! I would be very grateful for any suggestions that you might have!
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
You can try using Tenkai pinch or a back clip to show hand empty while hiding a coin. Brad Burt has a video "Advanced Coin Technique" that teaches the Tenkai pinch aka Goshman back clip. He has a couple of uses for the sleight which is very useful.
Bernard Sim
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
Thanks for the tip Bernard! Much appreciated!
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Just in case you miss it in the mentalism thread, I suggested that you modify Docc Hilford's method from The Confidence Man Video for having the spectator getting it WRONG every time.

I think you'll like the fairness, subtlety and simplicity of Docc's approach.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
There is something about hand guessing in BOBO's. You might try using part of this one and coming up with your own finish. Maybe a bent penny?

People always react well to illusions that you create on your own. Maybe it's the extra confident look you have knowing they have never seen the illusion before? Smile

I am new and I just noticed
the cup turns into a hat and back to a cup. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
False shuttle passes?

If they point to the left hand and the coin is in the right you just pretend you are dumping the coin from the left hand into the right hand...or vice versa....

Use the Sylvester pitch...

Use han ping chien......I think any or even a combination of these would work fine.

I learned about the hand guessing thing from Steve Banachek's "Psychological Subtleties book in an effect called "The Nose Knows" that's a cool book. I'm not hardcore into mentalism, but I recommend this book to anyone who is looking into it.
blurr
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of blurr
I think that 2 coins are the way to go. 1 in each hand. The last time you perform this, you drop both coins into your back pockets. 1 in each pocket so as not to make noise. Then ask which hand and they are wrong, but then their is no coin. End fo routine!
To gain the extra coin, you steal it from your the back part of your waistband or a back pocket when you 1st put the hands behind your back.

Blurr
"Someday men will look back and say I was the start of the 20th century."
---Jack the Ripper
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
EASIEST WAY: Buy 2 fickle nickle (or similar) and use one for each hand. Show one hand with coin, one without. Try it. Smile
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
Following on from Bluur's idea - What about fixing 2 powerful magnets inside your clothing behind your back (one on each side)and using coins that will stick to them.
You could then pick up or dump whichever coin you wanted to show.

Unless you had people on either side, you could perhaps have these magnets in each side pocket instead. Smile
Alan
Mister Wizzy
knave
View Profile
New user
UK Newcastle
72 Posts

Profile of knave
This exact effect is in the "Walk Around Mentalism" video by Mark Strivings. It may also be in his book Mobile Mentalism. He's a member of the Cafe so it should be easy enough to get hold of a copy.

Mark's effect needs some set up, but not a lot.

Although I haven't seen it I would imagine that Docc's effect (recommended by Scott) would fit the bill, from a mentalist's point of view.

A lot of the suggestions in the postings above are "magic" solutions not mentalism (that's not a criticism!). If you want to perform the effect as pure mentalism, you cannot be seen to be performing (look, nothing in my hand etc.) To be convincing you must simply hold out your hands and let the participant pick one of them. The effect (mentalism version) can be achieved by sleight of hand, but you have a massive amount of practice ahead of you to pull it off. It seems like a lot of hard work for one effect, but of course, new skills are never wasted!

Regards
Dave
mambra
View Profile
New user
Milano (Italy)
66 Posts

Profile of mambra
Hi.

My 2 pence.

A coin and a shell. You show ONE (a-ehm) coin at the beginning and at the end. And, if you like, a couple of time even during the performance. Quite easy and clean.

I do not know how you can guess where the spectator hides his coin.

Cheers

Stefano

Stefano Mambretti
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Quote:
On 2002-09-10 13:20, mambra wrote:
Hi.

My 2 pence.

A coin and a shell. You show ONE (a-ehm) coin at the beginning and at the end. And, if you like, a couple of time even during the performance. Quite easy and clean.

I do not know how you can guess where the spectator hides his coin.

Cheers

Stefano

Stefano Mambretti

Dear David de Leon,

I really like Stefano's idea. With a coin and an expanded shell, you can show one coin then split it. Now you have a coin in each hand. The spectator will always be right.
However, I think you must not take your hands behind your back. If you do, they might reason that they are constantly correct because you grabbed a coin from your back, thus, you have a coin in each hand. So you must show the one gimmick coin in the beginning and somehow split it without your hands leaving their sight. This way, there would be no reason for them to think that you had a chance to grab a second coin from anywhere. They will surely be convinced that you only have one coin. So instead of going behind your back, you may have them place a hankerchief over your hands.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help finding appropriate sleight/gimmick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL