The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » El Zorro (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
Hello,

I'm working on the billets in Peek Performances. It's a great book, and I adore the Zen tear and the readers billet.

I also checked out El Zorro, but I have my doubts. It just seems more logical to me to fold the card the other way (from a muggle point of view. And I use the word "muggle" with lots of respect, so don't attack me on this. My best friends are muggles... Smile )

Anyhow. El Zorro is a great handling, but the direction of the fold makes me feel uneasy, if you know what I mean. It seems unlogical.

Can anybody set me at ease?
Let your dreams tear apart your life, before your life tears apart your dreams...
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Yup, I can.

I use the El Zorro frequently in one-on-one situations, and it works very well. No one, in the couple of years since I have used it, has questioned the fold at all. It is a favorite peek of mine. I carry a pre-folded business card with me in my pocket diary all the time ready for the El Zorro.

I use Richard Bush's ploy "from your mind to mine" as it masks the peek. See the book for that ploy.

Best regards,

Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Isn't this El Zorro also touched upon in Peek Encores, as well?

I don't have the reference handy right now, but isn't this the folding where Richard has the initials on the right and left side of the fold? If this is the same, it is very similar in handling to one of the methods written up in Millard Longman's Acidus. The difference is Richard's is more bold, which I love!

John E.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Johne, Acidus is by Al Mann, describing one amazing billet idea. Is it Al's Acidus Plus you refer to? That contains the "Azonic Force" and Longman's "Acidus Novus".

Tim
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I've heard of this book so many times but have never read it. I like to perform casual mentalism and psychic entertainment. Would this book be good for me? I'm terrible at sleight of hand. Can I still learn stuff from this? It really sounds great!

Anabelle
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I'm really not the best manipulator in the world, and Busch's Zen Billet tear is in my act always. I think the first volume is very worth the read, but I can't remember what was in "encores". I don't know why that is. But I'd say, yes, read it. It's very nice material, and I think "something for everyone".

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Anabelle,

I highly recommend learning Acidus Novus. It is so deceptive, and no sleight-of-hand is necessary at all. You'll love it!

John
Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
Anabelle,

There's no real sleight-of-hand necessary for the billet work in "Peek Performances", at least not for the billets that I love most: Zen and Readers.

El Zorro is fantastic on paper, but I never had the guts to use it. This will change now that somebody like Tony Razzano set me at ease.

Thanks, Trinity!

Anabelle, I wouldn't hesitate. From the things I know of you from reading your posts and your book, you'll find it more than awesome.

Regards.
Let your dreams tear apart your life, before your life tears apart your dreams...
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
I was referring to "Thoughts on Billet Reading" in my post, but I highly recommend Richard Busch's material as well. Busch's Billet is very nice. I had a hard time getting over that fact that the peek is so good, yet deceptive to them.

John E.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Mystery,

Any questions you have or tips I can give, PM me. Happy to help.

Anabelle,

Since I don't know you, it's hard to say what to recommend for you. I get good use out of El Zorro, but I do it with confidence and no hesitation at all. But only one on one, maybe in a small group of about three.

I think the book is worth it. Be ready to take your time with it. It's like a textbook. Any questions, just let me know.

Best regards,

Tony Razzano
Best regards,
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Anabelle,
With all due respect, if you don't study (and a study is what is is!) Richard's "Peek Performances", you are behind the curve.

You are a respected member of this mentalism community and a recognized author in the subject of mentalism.

Respectfully, I submit that it's a must have for you,
and I suggest that you get it directly from Richard.
Ted (Leondo)
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I agree withy Ted Leondo. Both Busch’s books are a must for a professional.

Besides that, I have to say that even when everybody focuses on the handling when is talking about billets, the “sleight of hand” necessary is secondary, IMO.

Millard Longman’s Acidus Novus, the Zorro Billet, Osterlind’s PCT or Busch Billet’s “moves” are fairly simple. The real difficulty resides in the presentational skills needed to perform them succesfully. These methods are extremely simple to “handle”, but you have to be extremely confident and bold.
Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
Thanks, Trinity... Or mr. Razzano, or Tony, or ...

I'm leaving for Sweden soon. I'm sure I'll have a lot of time there to try out this kind of stuff on my fellow travelers and on the local Vikings.

If I still have questions after this try-out, I'll certainly PM you.
Thanks for your helpfulness !
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Mystery,

Please...call me Tony

Do it as though it were simply the normal course of events that you do. Just like its the way you always do things.
Let me know how things go.
Enjoy the trip!
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
Ok, Tony
I leave on thursday andI'll be back in about a week...and I'll surely let you know how the experiments went.
Nice talking to you.
Have a nice weekend,
Graymatter_Fireworks
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, GA
357 Posts

Profile of Graymatter_Fireworks
I'm not sure if you guys use business cards with technique or not, but I find that the El Zorro can easily be used in large groups.

If you use the fourth idea Richard provides in the book on this technique, one can easily justify the folds; that is use a coin envelope!

Personally I use 3x5 index cards for this effect, and it makes every fold justifiable in the spectators mind once I give them a coin envelope to inspect. Reason being that a 3x5 index card has to be folded to be put into the envelope. No one is going to scrutinize why you folded the piece of paper the way you did.
"The social world in which we live, determines our experience of what is real." - John Gager
Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
You guys are probably right. Perhaps I'm just worrying too much. I just was concerned about the first fold. I believed it would be more logical to fold with the side that's written on away from you instead of towards you.
Perhaps it just passes unnoticed. As mentioned before : I leave for Sweden soon. Be prepared vikings, El Zorro arrives. Smile
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I am familiar with richard's perfected center tear and I like it alot, I've used it only recently and it has worked great for me so far. Anyway, thanks for all the info, guys. I'm on it!

Anabelle
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I am sort of a fringe mentalist, I have always been intrigued and very interested in mentalism but just haven't gone exclusively in that direction.
I have been convinced to get "Peek Performances" by what others here have said and am looking forward to studying everything in there.
Best of luck to you in all of your efforts, Annabelle.

Hey Leondo, I look forward to meeting you again one of these days. Perhaps in Las Vegas. I enjoyed your show when you were performing at The Magic Castle and our meeting at the bar afterwards with you and your lovely wife (I didn't have the moustache or glasses then).
I hope things are going well for both of you.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Graymatter,

I do use business cards for this. I don't justify anything. I just do it. No need to justify, I believe. You show the folded card and ask, "Can you see through this?"

If I am folding the business card in front of the spectator, I say as I fold, "I want to make sure no can see through this."

I complete the fold, hold up the business card and say, "Can you?"
and if you follow Richard's ideas in the book, all the justification is in the actions and in the questions you ask the spectator. All implied, but strongly.

Anabelle, might you be confusing Richard Bush with Richard Osterlind? Busch wrote Peek Performances, which I highly recomend. If I misread your post, I apologize.

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » El Zorro (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL